Vmarco

How to See Yourself as You Really Are?

This assumes I do not already.

Also that I'd want to.

Also that there's a difference between what I really am and something else.

Why does it matter? Only if i don't like what i see?

I think this might just be word play but I'm not sure!

• Like 1

I get a better picture of myself from the eyes, words, and reactions of those I become engaged with than I could ever get from trying to look at myself.

However, my feelings and emotions, many of which I might hide from others, are true indicators of what kind of person I am.

Aside from what I have just said I will wait to see what direct you wish to take this discussion.

This assumes I do not already.

Also that I'd want to.

Also that there's a difference between what I really am and something else.

Why does it matter? Only if i don't like what i see?

I think this might just be word play but I'm not sure!

If it doesn't matter to you, go play on another thread.

In this thread it doesn't matter if you can see yourself as you really are, believe you can see yourself as you really are, or cannot see yourself as you really are.

It's just a dialogue. For example, is who you "think" you are, who you really are?

Or what about this youtube: Who Are You Really?

Any ideas or comments about her ideas?

I understand that TTB is not the safest place to share your feelings,...we both know how some members like to pounce on others feelings, on other's serious inquiries.

So, contribute or leave.

V

Sounds interesting. And it's only one hour of a lifetime.

If I took part in this, perhaps store security would take note of my unusual actions. I mean, not buying anything, nor pushing a carriage in a big box store? Curious to onlookers indeed. :huh:

Yes, that happened to me. You must avoid them. If they stop you, smile, say hi, pick up something inexpensive, purchase it, and leave. Try another store later.

Remember,...you cannot just stand around reading something,...no reading.

V

Edited by Vmarco

If it doesn't matter to you, go play on another thread.

In this thread it doesn't matter if you can see yourself as you really are, believe you can see yourself as you really are, or cannot see yourself as you really are.

It's just a dialogue. For example, is who you "think" you are, who you really are?

Or what about this youtube: Who Are You Really?

Any ideas or comments about her ideas?

I understand that TTB is not the safest place to share your feelings,...we both know how some members like to pounce on others feelings, on other's serious inquiries.

So, contribute or leave.

V

Huh. That was a bit rough. 'Contribute or leave'. IMO it was contributing. You didn't think so? I reckon if you're going to ask umbrella questions like that then it's worth (for me at least) to understand what you're really asking. Hence my questions. They were meant to be helpful. I mean if you're going to refer to an 'I' of some kind then IMO we ought to talk about what that is, before then asking about 'you' and 'real' and all that stuff. Otherwise it is just word games. IMO/IME.

Huh. That was a bit rough. 'Contribute or leave'. IMO it was contributing. You didn't think so? I reckon if you're going to ask umbrella questions like that then it's worth (for me at least) to understand what you're really asking. Hence my questions. They were meant to be helpful. I mean if you're going to refer to an 'I' of some kind then IMO we ought to talk about what that is, before then asking about 'you' and 'real' and all that stuff. Otherwise it is just word games. IMO/IME.

Please understand,..."Contribute or leave" was an impersonal statement.

It is fully agreed that if the subject is "How to really see yourself as you are" then a dialgue on what is "I" is surely adventageous.

Absolutely,...no word games, philosophy, or beliefs necessary, required or desired.

V

Where do thoughts come from? When I look I cannot find anyone.

And when someone says, 'the brain' this is just another thought rising up.

There is seeing, touching, tasting, hearing, smelling, all these things change, but when looked who does these things arise to, they just do. If the answer is 'Me' then this is just another thought rising which will disappear.

The urge though is to be completely identified with the 5 sense and thinking. When I suffer from my thoughts it wakes me up to see them and create the distance to leave them alone.

Transformational triggers that uncover who you really are, can flow from connected breathing, hypnotherapy, sound (as in Shurangama Sutra), color meditations (S. G. J. Ouseley), Ki practices, etc. One of my favorite triggers is called the supermarket task, an activity of the "Just Because Club" developed by what Claude Needham calls, "a contemporary inner-work group."

http://www.slimeworl...xx/jbc_ndx.html

The egoic or sciential mind has an innate desire to maintain transcendental unavailability, thus keeping sentient beings from revealing their authentic, unconditioned Self's.

The supermarket task calls for entering a market where groceries alone are commonly purchased (not one of the Super Walmarts), and remain there for a full hour. Inside the store, which you enter and leave without contacting or handling a door, you touch nothing, neither a cart, nor a basket, nor any other item. While inside, you read nothing, speak to no one, and do not allow anyone to speak to you. If any of the above stipulations are compromised, then immediately pick up something, which does not have to be expensive, purchase it, and leave. Then try the task again at another date.

The Just Because Club says:

Not jumping to conclusions turns out to be a pretty good habit. So we encourage that in ourselves and in others. Notice the suggestion is not "don't ever come to any conclusion." Rather the suggestion is not to jump to a conclusion. Jump meaning to form a conclusion prematurely before all the data is in. That's very different than never coming to a conclusion.

The more explaination, the less the realization from the trigger. My first attempt at the Supermarket Activity was in '98, with less information than this post. I was instructed: go to Gigante (Puerto Vallarta), say inside for an hour, don't touch or read anything, and do not talk to anyone.

"Pencil-in" a free hour for following the activity,...so you can absorb as it were, the experience. Whatever you do afterwards should have an element of heightened awareness to it. For example, reading Part Three of Wei Wu Wei's 'Open Secret' (a dialogue on the Heart Sutra) or Tilopa's Mahamudra, following an activity would bring new insightfulness regarding your reality, and your relationship with it.

Best of luck to the adventurous.

OMG! This sounds fascinating! I gotta try this!!

Can the above exercise be done even if one has not yet successfully quieted their monkey-mind?

Can the above exercise be done even if one has not yet successfully quieted their monkey-mind?

Certainly! Let your monkey-mind chatter away while not touching, reading or talking in the supermarket. But remember, a supermarket like Safeway, Kroger, Albertsons,...not Target, Walmart, or Costco.