C T

NYC Rebel Buddha Panel Discussion

that zen nun is awesome!

"title doesn't matter" is easy to say when everyone calls you rinpoche! hahaahah

nice vid! C T i think you are a shining example of buddhist awesomeness. I really appreciate your presence here.

This reminded me of something a bit more controversial that the Abbot(ess) at a dojo near me said during the introductory session. She asked "has anyone read this guy, an American guy, he had his students and he would basically grade them: "ok, you've reached here, so you're at that level, and you reached here so you're at that level.." Nobody knew who she was talking about. Then she said "well, it's not like that. We're not going to give you any grades or levels. We don't do that."

I guess it was a bit of Soto influence on this Rinzai lineage. Sure, these levels exist in Sutras, but following them too closely can be a big problem for real progress, too, especially for the inexperienced who want to get ahead too quickly.

I'm not convinced. Lineage seems to be another thing to be attached. Lineage is one of the perceived reality's, same as titles. Does one mind determine ones lineage or vice versa? Does ones heart determine ones lineage?

More trivial semantics is really all I see in it. A way to claim and own, the ego hidden to secretly own without conscious recognition. Getting caught up in tradition in the first place leads to conformity, that will cause division with other alternatively conformed institutions.

Semantics! :wacko:

Edited by Informer