Sign in to follow this  
Yuen Biao

Audiobooks...

Firstly I hope this is the correct place to post this question?

So unfortunately I have to spend a little time in my car commuting these days and I wondered if I could put that time spent to a better use. I'm currently listening to some Mandarin to brush up on my language skills but that's all I have so I wanted to ask for advice on what I could be listening to and ultimately learning something...

For instance based on the nature of this forum it would be something relevant to what is often discussed here such as philosophy, meditation, spirituality/religion or travel etc. I'd be interested in some philosophy as I have an Honours degree in that subject but whatever is recommended would be valuable!

Thanks for your time,

Namaste.

Eknath Easwaran's audio's on meditation and Buddhism are excellent, full of wisdom and insight.

I can recommend those while you're driving, which is how I listened to them.

Ken Cohen's audio on Taoism isn't bad, however, it may be too basic if you are already into Taoism.

Look to Itunes podcasts. They're free and some are excellent sources for learning. I love Infinite Smile and Zencast. Both podcasts have dozens of insightful lectures.

You have to download Itunes, but its free, then search for either one. You'll be able to download and save podcasts as mp3's on CD for later listening. Beyond philosophy there are undoubtedly Chinese language practice podcasts out there too.

A few things I really like:

Wake Up to Life - Anthony DeMello - my favorite, I come back to it over and over

Out of Your Mind - Alan Watts - wonderful

Radiant Mind - Peter Fenner - great

The Great Dance: Finding One's Way in Troubled Times - Michael Meade - excellent

Dao De Jing - Jacob Needleman - pretty good, especially the intro

Sign in to follow this