Aetherous

Foundation: Core exercises

I memorized the basic and moderate workout, using my phone as a music player and timer for holding the positions - works well for me. All I end up need is myself, some space to traing and my phone w/headphones.

Love the foundation stuff.

On 9/25/2011 at 8:52 PM, Aetherous said:

Maybe it does.

The key thing that this program is focusing on is strengthening the muscles of the "posterior chain" in a functional and integrated way. The calves, hamstrings, glutes, low back and spine, rhomboids and other muscles...

Especially the erector spinae, multifidus and latissimus dorsi in the low back are trained to brace, and allow the large muscles of the hip to support full range of motion and functional strength.

So if a part of silk reeling involves strengthening the posterior chain, training the hip musculature to support movement through full ROM, and the spinal musculature to support itself being upright during this, then it will have a similar effect.

in order to train all your posterior chain (hams, glutes, back) is not better to just do exercises like deadlifts?

Edited by Toni

I do Pilates. At first I didn't think it would help my neck which has mild arthritis with a slight deterioration in C5 disc. After a few weeks of training my neck feels so much better. Posture is much improved.

I bought a reformer a few months ago and its worth every penny.

Wim Hof also. 

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2

interesting, but I think pilates and foundation training are very opposite! The first works primarily the abs, while the latter focuses more on the back muscles.

Is it better for performance to train your abs or your back? that is a good question and there is not only one solution it seems!

Edit: a useful link below about the "core":

https://es.reuters.com/article/idINLNE74T02720110530

Goodman advocates a four-to-one ratio of back-to-front training.

“For every four exercises you do for the back of the body, you get to do one for the front. I think that’s the opposite of what most people are doing.”

Edited by Toni

51 minutes ago, Toni said:

interesting, but I think pilates and foundation training are very opposite! The first works primarily the abs, while the latter focuses more on the back muscles.

Is it better for performance to train your abs or your back? that is a good question and there is not only one solution it seems!

Edit: a useful link below about the "core":

https://es.reuters.com/article/idINLNE74T02720110530

Pilates can focus on the entire body and not just the abs. Depends on how one works the system.

2 hours ago, Toni said:

yes, but it focuses way more on the abs than on the back

I happen to do a lot of Pilates. Have you taken a class?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toni said:

yes, but it focuses way more on the abs than on the back

Pilates looks easy, but it is not  I still get really sore from a workout  

2 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

The reformer exercise looks amazing! How long do you spend doing pilates a day @ralis?

I took classes years ago and always felt I would benefit more with a reformer at home. Now with the pandemic which keeps us at home more I bought a reformer so I can keep fit. No matter what movement therapy one uses, there must be a toning strengthening program to go along with it.

Now I am doing about 30 minutes a day.

Joseph Pilates developed his system from yoga and dance. 

https://www.pilates.com

• Like 1

Joseph Pilates developed this machine for small living spaces. Looks really easy. It is not as easy as it looks.

Dancers and gymnasts are really fit! Coach Kel in this video is obviously really fit and should be an inspiration to anyone that wants to improve themselves. Physical culture is important for rehab.

• Like 1