dwai

Yoga Sutras -- Chapter 1

Dear Dwai,

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question smile.gif;

in the future, If you don't mind I would like to PM you to ask some more question.

Lets continue with the study of the Yoga Sutra; the five vrttayah.

Thanks,

Xiejia

Edited by XieJia

Dear Dwai,

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question smile.gif;

in the future, If you don't mind I would like to PM you to ask some more question.

Lets continue with the study of the Yoga Sutra; the five vrttayah.

Thanks,

Xiejia

Dear xj,

I'm no authority....but i'll be gld to exchange ideas.

Dear Dwai,

From your experience, could you put Tantra in perspective as well? I do think it will be educational for us all to mention the both.

happy.gif

From my interpretation, the mind stream's torrent is depends on the faculty of the practitioner.

So when one doing something for something or A hence B, is contributing to one's own mind stream torrent?

Oh and to explain mind stream imho, it is a field of objects in our consciousness, mistakenly identified as our consiousness. So I wld say, mind stream is mind. Mind is not our consciousness. Chitta is our consciousness, its vritti is our mind.

Hey people :) , found a good article on nature of mind according to yogis, and remebered this thread(should anyone be interested).

http://www.yogamag.net/archives/1995/fnov95/yogmind.shtml

I am not sure about mind from personal point of view, have not figured that one out , but at the same time have other things to deal with as a priority :P (dont know if this is an excuse or statment :ninja: ) .

Maybe we should have a what is mind according to you thread.

Back to Patanjali..

Edited by suninmyeyes

I would say that the yoga is to stop the mind, mind being a field of objects in consciousness...

so that sutra can be understood as, while the mind stream is active, the practitioner idntifies with the various objects that constitute the mind stream

What a complete analogy to the TTC where it says (paraphrasing) that in order for the Whole to be understood, get far apart from it, unconnected, unemotional; to understand the individual thing from the inside, one must become immersed in it, feeling the emotions.

Edited by manitou

Hey people :) , found a good article on nature of mind according to yogis, and remebered this thread(should anyone be interested).

http://www.yogamag.net/archives/1995/fnov95/yogmind.shtml

I am not sure about mind from personal point of view, have not figured that one out , but at the same time have other things to deal with as a priority :P (dont know if this is an excuse or statment :ninja: ) .

Maybe we should have a what is mind according to you thread.

Back to Patanjali..

That's a good link and worth the time to read it.

Thanks

It is a good link. I particularly like the description of the developed mind, the luminosity, as being both visible and invisible. The visibility is granted to those that have the eyes to see.

What a complete analogy to the TTC where it says (paraphrasing) that in order for the Whole to be understood, get far apart from it, unconnected, unemotional; to understand the individual thing from the inside, one must become immersed in it, feeling the emotions.

Hi Manitou,

I think the purpose here is to show that I am not "the objects" that I encounter. The "I" that I am is ever present, an intelligence that is not defined or created by the interactions of objects. The "I" is self-existent and self-aware. When I can strip away the objects and face this "I", I am face to face with Dao (called Brahman in Vedanta). I am often tempted to use the "seeing" vs "seeing" differentiation that Carlos used in his books to refer to the "I" vs the "I" or the "Self" vs the "Self"