Immortal4life

"Peer Reviewed" Research

If physicalism were true it would mean there is no spirituality. It would mean there is no objective meaning, purpose, beauty, or morality in the Universe.

Would this be a terrible thing for you personally I4L if this were somehow discovered to be true?

Really I'd like to hear GiH's response though. I get that he thinks all dogmas are bad. What I'd like to know is what he thinks specifically is bad about Physicalism. Marblehead (IIRC) once stated he is a Physicalist but I don't perceive him to be wrong-headed by having that belief.

Marblehead (IIRC) once stated he is a Physicalist but I don't perceive him to be wrong-headed by having that belief.

I really should not have used the tag "Physicalist" on myself. In the strictest terms I am not that. I am a materialist though. I have no problem with that tag.

Hehehe. I really want to jump up and talk about this but I am waiting for GiH to respond. I am sure he will be able to expand on his statement and respond very well to all questions.

Bad in what way? What precisely makes Physicalism a terrible dogma? :unsure:

Physicalism denies the meaningfulness and the power of intent. That's the biggest offense. It's limiting. It restricts the mind (and hence the experience) of the one who believes in it.

Edited by goldisheavy

goldisheavy, you are pushing the envelope on the rules again.

it will be a shame to lose your contributions here if you can't find a way to flow within this context.

you don't have to agree with or like the rules. but if you want to participate in this forum you have to abide by them.

consider this is your last warning.

sean

Thanks Sean. It sounds ominous. :D Maybe I should make preparations to start a new forum where the envelope is a little more spacious. Or maybe I need to take a break. We'll see what happens.

Hmm....

Wikipedia says Physicalism is a version of Materialism.

Physicalism is also called "materialism", but the term "physicalism" is preferable because it has evolved with the physical sciences to incorporate far more sophisticated notions of physicality than matter, for example wave/particle relationships and non-material forces produced by particles.

Are you still going on record as not being a Physicalist Marble?

Hmm....

Wikipedia says Physicalism is a version of Materialism.

Are you still going on record as not being a Physicalist Marble?

Hehehe. Yes, I will go on record here as not being a Physicalist but I will still hold to my Materialist label (using my own definition) because I really do believe that our material life (HOW we live life) is more important than the pie in the sky stuff.

(Now remember, there are some really neat things going on in this material world. All we have to do is observe once in a while. Sure, there are some nasty things going on too but through observing and understanding we can avoid most, if not all, of these nasty things.)

Hehehe. Yes, I will go on record here as not being a Physicalist but I will still hold to my Materialist label (using my own definition) because I really do believe that our material life (HOW we live life) is more important than the pie in the sky stuff.

(Now remember, there are some really neat things going on in this material world. All we have to do is observe once in a while. Sure, there are some nasty things going on too but through observing and understanding we can avoid most, if not all, of these nasty things.)

Since when is physicalist capitalized? Didn't Vajraji start that? :lol: Just curious.

Edited by ralis

Since when is physicalist capitalized? Didn't Vajraji start that? :lol: Just curious.

Hehehe. Well, I have assigned it and Materialist to be proper names so their first letter gets capitalized.

Yeah, if we cap a word it appears to be more important. Hehehe.