Sign in to follow this  
Maddie

Cultivation side effects

Just curious as to what are considered some typical side effects of cultivation? What have been some of the Tao Bum's experiences first hand or otherwise? Is it normal to get very very tired when working on a new area?

I've had no side effects I could surely connect to Qigong. Only nice effects like pronounced feelings of relaxation, radiant health and lovingkindness :) Some emotional reactions along the way like sadness and angry outbursts may or may not have been due to practice.

I think as long as you're not perfectly healthy the Qi will hide deeper inside every now and then to do the healing and that's when you get tired. And unless really sick there will follow a period of more outward action when you're feeling more energetic.

I've had no side effects I could surely connect to Qigong. Only nice effects like pronounced feelings of relaxation, radiant health and lovingkindness :) Some emotional reactions along the way like sadness and angry outbursts may or may not have been due to practice.

I think as long as you're not perfectly healthy the Qi will hide deeper inside every now and then to do the healing and that's when you get tired. And unless really sick there will follow a period of more outward action when you're feeling more energetic.

Hmmmm maybe that is whats happening to me now then?

Even though this was not the original topic of my thread here, I was pondering if another effect of cultivating for a while is ..... well .... just being "different" than other people??? I feel like its very rare that I run into someone that I feel that I can relate to. Then again maybe its this way for others on this site too which is why we all gravitate to TTB's? I just can't shake the feeling that I feel very different than most people, and also that they feel it too and it makes them feel uncomfortable around me? Does anyone else feel this way? Does seeking the Tao really set one apart that much?

• Like 1

Even though this was not the original topic of my thread here, I was pondering if another effect of cultivating for a while is ..... well .... just being "different" than other people??? I feel like its very rare that I run into someone that I feel that I can relate to. Then again maybe its this way for others on this site too which is why we all gravitate to TTB's? I just can't shake the feeling that I feel very different than most people, and also that they feel it too and it makes them feel uncomfortable around me? Does anyone else feel this way? Does seeking the Tao really set one apart that much?

Everyone's energy vibrates at different frequencies; people can subtly intuitively sense this and may often influence certain feelings of comfort, attraction, intimidation, etc.

Everyone's energy vibrates at different frequencies; people can subtly intuitively sense this and may often influence certain feelings of comfort, attraction, intimidation, etc.

So what is it about cultivation that would increasingly cause one's energy to set them apart from society?

Go see that thread on opening up. IMO it carries many hints and clues about the "what" and "why" you might be after. I think it might be different for everyone, even if there are common threads running through :)

Has it changed me? Off the top of my head I have to say no, but then it's as if I almost can't recall things being any other way. Which if you think about it, is pretty weird in itself. :ph34r:

But if I consider it deeper, I guess there's a confidence that wasn't there before, some "problems" have also just disappeared, I just can't feel them any more - it's like they never happened (although I recall they did).

Susan suggested looking to friends and family for measurement. I think that's an interesting perspective on it but I wouldn't necessarily look to a moving target for a measure on another moving target :) Personally I'd look at circumstances, overall health, understanding of stuff that used to seem esoteric...

Oh, I ought to mention I'm presently halfway between hell and somewhere else so until I get my skillz fully (there's that Guzzi reference again) on I'm probably not a good example :lol:

When it comes to other people, I'm sure I do stuff that unsettles them, an example is really looking into their eyes when I'm listening to them, seems not everyone likes that very much. And let's not forget, if someone is saying something and the vibes don't match, well, whole n'other thing.

I can relate on feeling much more relaxed, more love and stabling of my emotions. For example whenever something "bad" happens, I easily transcend this dualistic judgement because it's good in a different way.

Just curious as to what are considered some typical side effects of cultivation? What have been some of the Tao Bum's experiences first hand or otherwise? Is it normal to get very very tired when working on a new area?

In my experience, new freedom inevitably gives rise to (temporary) new chaos. It's like the structure of the body, in which everything is designed to balance everything else out. So, when some muscles are too tight, then other muscles become atrophied as consequence. If the tight muscles finally surrender, then the atrophied muscles may become freaked-out (go into spasm), until they become educated enough to balance the new freedom.

That's also how I've experienced the process of freeing the rest of me. Odd stuff pops up out of nowhere, causing some havoc, until I learn to accept and understand it. In most cases, it's just becoming aware of what was already there, but which some part of me was hiding from view (avoidance, self-blindness).

Thanks for the replies so far. What I've noticed specifically is that (and this happened to me before too) I began doing hold the ball in ZZ in front of my solar plexus area because in the past with other chakras it was a very powerful balancing effect upon them. And like with other times at the beginning I got very very tired, but then later after I guess what was done was done I did not feel so tired and plus the issues with said chakra were much better as well. But for the past several days I have beeen super super tired. Plus it would seem a lot of solar plexus issues have been coming to the surface, but I sort of expected that to happen, at least it gives me the chance to mentally process stuff I didn't realize was in there.

Found a couple interesting links:

http://www.spiritportal.org/signs.html

http://www.namastecafe.com/edu/symptoms.htm

Edited by dmattwads
  • Like 1

This occurs to me as personal stuff.

To dig into it, what do you mean by different? Flesh this out some. Because you do energy work does that make you special or inferior? Because they don't are they less than or some how superior?

Do you feel like other people think energy work is strange or weird?

What has you feel like you can't relate to others?

The point here is it's more dealing with your relationship to how you feel about it, which leads to how you express it, and expect others to be impacted by it.... which leads to how they are impacted by it. (aka, how you feel about it and the energy of your body is projected outward when you talk about it, and people pick up on it?) and questioning these things gives you an avenue to feel into it.

You can talk about chicken soup and make it amazing, or you can talk about sex and make it boring.

Personally, I feel cultivation has made it easy for me to connect with people, love more, and generally enjoy life in a deeper way.

Some of the trend I've seen is that people do things they think will make them feel good about their selves. The path they are on and the thing they seek, then become what they are attached to (or not attached to, and attached to not being attached) and are better than others for.

The internal self love flow being an if/then. (if others do this/women love me/I make money/FILL MY DANTIEN, etc THEN I will feel good about myself/be happy/love myself/etc.)

The reality is, all you've got is right now... no future, no past and all that.

So any 'once I do this, then x' is just outsourcing your happiness to never.

And even knowing that doesn't always change it.. and their is still future and past, and a strange relationship to 'experience'. but anyway.

John

Sign in to follow this