devoid

Sun Tzu - The Art of War

If we replace the word 'war' with 'challenge' or 'struggle' it begins to become easy to see how this treatise can be use for other things. While the treatise is quite detailed it really sums up to telling us to look holistically at anything with which we wish to struggle in a manner which will lead to success within the given context. From this viewpoint the first chapter on planning is perhaps the most important because it lays the foundation for how one should approach and pursue challenges.

Excellent! Now, if you can, build on this thought. A discussion on the application, I think, would be very interesting.

Excellent! Now, if you can, build on this thought. A discussion on the application, I think, would be very interesting.

In application, the important thing is to consider how to map out the five constituents / stakeholders of section 4:

• The Way (The rule-set / laws that governs the challenge)
  • Heaven (The forces that influence any decision on the challenge, but cannot be easily influenced)
  • Earth (The environment of the challenge and the resources available)
  • Commander (The strategist / Ponderer: You)
  • Method (The implementation of the strategy)

There is one more constituent / stakeholder which is easily overlooked, but very important: The State (in section 1). The State represents the general ideal environment of values to the strategist - i.e. that which represents what the strategist wants to achieve the best possible outcome for (both in relation to the given challenge as well as in a broader sense).

The funny thing is that when one looks at it this way, a challenge can be seen at any universal level - whether microcosmic or macrocosmic, to use terms often discussed here on TTB.

War is simply one example / application. If you are interested we could consider trying to play around with some other example applications.

Very nice.

Of course, this chapter is an overview. It points out aspects that should be considered before even beginning to lay any plans. These aspects, influences, that, IMO, overlay our life should be established prior to our undertaking any path in our life.

Interesting thread. All of you seem to agree that by following the principles of

The Art of War, you can still remain in harmony with the tao?

Interesting thread. All of you seem to agree that by following the principles of

That is an absolute "Yes" as far as I am concerned. The lessons in The Art Of War do not need be applied to killing people (warfare).

Depends on which dao you are referring to :)

I tends to think of the Art of War; more like SunZi's CV for the King of Wu. And a window, for getting to know the great person.

In application, the important thing is to consider how to map out the five constituents / stakeholders of section 4:

• The Way (The rule-set / laws that governs the challenge)
  • Heaven (The forces that influence any decision on the challenge, but cannot be easily influenced)
  • Earth (The environment of the challenge and the resources available)
  • Commander (The strategist / Ponderer: You)
  • Method (The implementation of the strategy)

What jumps out at me is when you mention Heaven (the forces that influence any decision on the challenge, but cannot be easily influenced).

You can look at it in exactly the opposite way too. Those things above the ground, (those things which pass day by day, 'Heaven') can't be easily influenced, but a smart general is sure going to use all of those elements to his advantage. Sort of like foraging for food, as mentioned earlier, rather than bringing too many provision carts; only he's foraging for the element of Surprise. He's using serendipity as a tool.

Maybe this equates with gathering the energy into the dantien, in a cosmic sense. He's doing this in a physical sense, bringing the energy in its physical manifestations to his army (the dantien).