Sunya

Online Tibetan practice program

Hey rex, thanks for the reply. I have a couple more questions if you don't mind answering: ...

You're welcome Ryan. I haven't started the second excellence but intend to along with the third. I'm making haste slowly. Along with other buddhist practices this has been my main practice though I also have some non-buddhist teachers whose practices and outlook I value. C T expressed it well so no need to elaborate really apart from that with some practices and approaches it matters more how you are then what is subscribed to intellectually. The third excellence is the vajrayana so at some point an initiation will be necessary but from reading the book I'd wager that it will be comprehensive.

The only advice I can give is to follow your heart and see where it leads you. This is what I did when signing up with no expectations of ever meeting the teacher but six months later he visited the UK and gave a days teaching on Tara which I was able to attend in spite of considerable practical problems. Each course can be studied on it's own with no absolute requirement to go on to the next so this will suit a variety of circumstances and inspirations. You never know, If you decide to take the plunge you may find your perspective changes.

All the best.

Thanks CT and rex, you both have great points and I agree. Right now I've decided I'm not in a place to commit to this specific program, but I will definitely continue my study of Buddhism in general. I'm finding it more appropriate considering my Taoist orientation to incorporate more of Chinese Buddhism, such as working with Kuan Yin. So hopefully the end result of developing more wisdom and compassion for myself and the world will be the same whatever the tradition :)

There is currently a 5 day online seminar going on, starting today, which is a commentary on the root text of "Tara's Triple Excellence". The seminar talks will be available online until the 24th. Each day there are two, hour-and-a-half long sessions with Chokyi. So 3 hours. There are other things in addition, for instance on 4 of the days there is an additional hour-and-a-half meditation session with another lama, so it really takes up quite a bit of time each day.

I'm not sure if it will be in primarily English, or if there will be a translator for Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche.

It's $54 to have access to this seminar. First you need to register on DharmaSun for free, and then click on "Online Seminar" on the home page to be able to view this info. From there you can register.

This commentary on the root text is a prerequisite for an upcoming seminar "Oral Instructions in the Vajrayana Tradition" starting on Nov 16th, which is also a 5 day, $54 online program; which will be accessible until the 30th.

They do these big seminars once a year, apparently. I'm thinking of doing it just to learn, but not practice.

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 1

Recent news:

1) The Ka-Nying Shedrub Ling monastery recently opened up their dharma ratna shop, where they sell ritual items such as bells, and books...it will soon appear online as well. These items will be appropriate for use with this tradition.

2) The Dharmasun website will launch with a new design in June, and the first portion of the Third Excellence will launch at that time as well. This is really only relevant for practitioners who have gone through the first excellence as well as the three parts of the second excellence (takes a while! I'm still finishing up the first part of the second excellence)...but for them, all that's required is taking a quiz on the previous material, and then doing a skype interview.

Info on the third excellence here.

• Like 1