Sunya

Online Tibetan practice program

Greetings all!

Check out this amazing online practice opportunity being offered by Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche at DharmaSun.org. It starts at the basics, then goes into tantra/kundalini and purification, and culminates in Dzogchen. A gradual program which is great for both beginners and advanced. I'm going to do it probably. The program lasts for half a year.

http://www.dharmasun.org/index.php?dharmasun=login&re=viewpp

Edited by Sunya

Guest sykkelpump

Greetings all!

Check out this amazing online practice opportunity being offered by Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche at DharmaSun.org. It starts at the basics, then goes into tantra/kundalini and purification, and culminates in Dzogchen. A gradual program which is great for both beginners and advanced. I'm going to do it probably. The program lasts for half a year.

Its not free(180 dollar for first teachings),and I think its much better free methods.In fact I belive the best cultivation methods are free

Greetings all!

I've heard only good things about Chokyi-la.

Greetings all!

http://www.dharmasun...login&re=viewpp

Yeah it looks great. I probably would've done the first part too if I could afford it. To see the Vajrayana part that follows after this part look through "Skillful Grace" which is a book on this terma.

I'll be doing Gangteng Tulku Rinpoche's Online Shedra Of Longchen Rabjam. Introduction to the Shedra

Hopefully I'll able to attend the empowerments otherwise there won't be much point in doing it.

Yeah it looks great. I probably would've done the first part too if I could afford it. To see the Vajrayana part that follows after this part look through "Skillful Grace" which is a book on this terma.

I'll be doing Gangteng Tulku Rinpoche's Online Shedra Of Longchen Rabjam. Introduction to the Shedra

Hopefully I'll able to attend the empowerments otherwise there won't be much point in doing it.

They do offer scholarships I think. When is that Online Shedra program starting? Their website isn't very informative, but that sounds interesting.

They do offer scholarships I think. When is that Online Shedra program starting? Their website isn't very informative, but that sounds interesting.

It already started, but you can still register as I registered this Friday. Yeah, not much info, you have to email Karl and he'll forward you more information. You can find his email at the bottom of the page here.

It already started, but you can still register as I registered this Friday. Yeah, not much info, you have to email Karl and he'll forward you more information. You can find his email at the bottom of the page here.

Thanks :) I just noticed that's an 8 hour program? Wow. Seems like this would be a much more drawn out version of the Dharma Sun program perhaps, since both cover (I think) the beginning all the way to the culmination in Dzogchen

Greetings all!

Hello Sunya,

I do not see any references to dzogchen at all in the program.

I am very interested in Tibetan Buddhist meditation and Yoga, but I just don't know about online training. For the price they are charging, I just don't know.....it would have to be something I looked into very carefully and had a basic understanding of. I don't know if I believe it or not.

Thanks :) I just noticed that's an 8 hour program? Wow. Seems like this would be a much more drawn out version of the Dharma Sun program perhaps, since both cover (I think) the beginning all the way to the culmination in Dzogchen

8 year program hehe. Something like that I suppose, but the shedra is more varied (focus on Longchenpa texts, sutra study, etc.) while Dharmasun program is Tara terma.

I am very interested in Tibetan Buddhist meditation and Yoga, but I just don't know about online training. For the price they are charging, I just don't know.....it would have to be something I looked into very carefully and had a basic understanding of. I don't know if I believe it or not.

Remember that is just the first part. The Vajrayana part will come later and for that you'll need transmissions from the teacher. Maybe they'll give some over webcast, but there's likely to be some formal initiation and for that you need to go in person.

Anyway it looks expensive to me too, but it also looks like a really good program.

Edited by Pero

From the period when I practiced vajrayana (karma kagyu) I can't imagine receiving teachings online - maybe shedra type study of the philosophical view but not transmissions ... I'm not saying this doesn't have any value but I would try to meet my teacher and develop a personal connection as without that I'm sure how much benefit can develop.

Hello Sunya,

I do not see any references to dzogchen at all in the program.

This is from the site, the bolded part is Dzogchen

In practical steps this teaching covers all three vehicles (The Triple Excellence) from the perspective of the Vajrayana. Beginning with fundamental mind training, one proceeds to the Bodhisattva path of love and insight combined. Finally, the penetrating wisdom of the Vajrayana is introduced, culminating in the secret paths of the higher tantras. At this more advanced stage of practice, participants will receive a transmission, which includes methods that use the energies of the subtle body, and they will be initiated into the practice of trekchö or “cutting through resistance” within the primordial purity that is the nature of the mind.

From the period when I practiced vajrayana (karma kagyu) I can't imagine receiving teachings online - maybe shedra type study of the philosophical view but not transmissions ... I'm not saying this doesn't have any value but I would try to meet my teacher and develop a personal connection as without that I'm sure how much benefit can develop.

I share the same thoughts, but my situation doesn't allow me such a luxury. I don't have any teachers close to me.

Edited by Sunya

Yes this is better if possible, but for some of us it isn't. And the current part of this program, the first cycle, is more sutric anyway.

I'm wondering how the transmission will work for Tantra and Dzogchen too, which will be third cycle. I emailed to ask. I'll post here about it.

BTW Pero, I told them my financial situation isn't good at the moment and asked if I can enroll but pay later, they asked me how much I can pay now and offered me a scholarship. I don't think you should let money stop you from doing this :) Oh, and thanks for the PM. I got info about the 8 year program.

I really wanna get all those things like the quickly changing mudras, kundalini, tantra, dzogchen, trulkor, tummo.....it's just that Tibetan Buddhism and Buddhism in general is such a confusing subject to me and I have trouble knowing where to start researching in order to get an understanding of what it is, who is good to learn from, how you learn it, etc.

That's pretty much the only thing I dont know where to find, or who to learn from, or anything like that. I don't know what the lineages are, what the different branches are, what the history is, what is the best branch, who are good teachers.....

Edited by Immortal4life

I really wanna get all those things like the quickly changing mudras, kundalini, tantra, dzogchen, trulkor, tummo.....it's just that Tibetan Buddhism and Buddhism in general is such a confusing subject to me and I have trouble knowing where to start researching in order to get an understanding of what it is, who is good to learn from, how you learn it, etc.

That's pretty much the only thing I dont know where to find, or who to learn from, or anything like that. I don't know what the lineages are, what the different branches are, what the history is, what is the best branch, who are good teachers.....

I understand your confusion. It can be a very complex topic, especially Tibetan Buddhism.

Your best bet is to pick up a book such as Beginner's Guide to Tibetan Buddhism by Bruce Newman and Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism by John Powers -- both can be found cheap used on Amazon. The first one doesn't cover the history of Tibetan Buddhism and each branch like the second one, but the first one is great because it's written by a Western Lama. The second book is more academic. If you only get one, i'd get the first one.

There is no best branch. They're all the same really.

As for how to practice and who to learn from, this online program is quite perfect really. It starts at the basics and moves up gradually, and there will be teachers there to communicate with. It's run by Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche who is a very well known Tibetan teacher. If you sincerely want to learn and practice Tibetan Buddhism, I would really recommend this online program.

I'm wondering how the transmission will work for Tantra and Dzogchen too, which will be third cycle. I emailed to ask. I'll post here about it.

Cool.

BTW Pero, I told them my financial situation isn't good at the moment and asked if I can enroll but pay later, they asked me how much I can pay now and offered me a scholarship. I don't think you should let money stop you from doing this smile.gif Oh, and thanks for the PM. I got info about the 8 year program.

Damn you man, you just had to tell me that didn't you. :P

I really don't know since I just payed for the Shedra and still have to pay for DC membership, and right now I shouldn't make any payments for about 10 days or I'll go broke. Plus I'm not sure if it won't become too much, next to the shedra and college. I'll have to think about it, thanks.

Well, on the link you give it says the higher tantras will be taught. What exactly do they mean by this?

Is there a more complete description of what the curriculum exactly is and exactly what you will be getting?

Do you have to sign up by a certain time, or can you start at anytime you like?

How many hours a day does it require?

Will you be learning this?-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEFCbZwT40A

Or This?-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjiHNUMKdY

Or anything like this?-

Edited by Immortal4life

Well, on the link you give it says the higher tantras will be taught. What exactly do they mean by this?

Is there a more complete description of what the curriculum exactly is and exactly what you will be getting?

Do you have to sign up by a certain time, or can you start at anytime you like?

How many hours a day does it require?

Will you be learning this?-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEFCbZwT40A

Or This?-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjiHNUMKdY

Or anything like this?-

Don't worry about that stuff. You need to train your mind. This is what the program will focus on. Later, practices will be taught that focus on the channels and energy. You'll be taught everything to become enlightened in this program. It's quite a deal :lol:

Highest tantra yoga is another name for 'completion stage' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Completion_stage

The practices in those videos are completion stage practices. You'll be taught practices with the same purpose, but I doubt they'll be as physical. First, you will be taught how to train your mind by generating the right kind of motivation and the right understanding. The people in those videos have that already, so you can't just skip the necessary preliminaries.

Edited by Sunya

Well enlightenment, that certainly is a good thing. That is also quite a task to take on.

I also have an interest in getting good and high level systems of Yoga and energy development. I want diverse methods and to develop diverse skills. They are as important to me as meditation and mind training. How far can this program take you?

So another question I would have would be can you also continue on with practicing other practices, Taoist methods, other systems of Yoga like Indian etc., if time permits while you are learning this program?

Edited by Immortal4life

Well enlightenment, that certainly is a good thing. That is also quite a task to take on.

I also have an interest in getting good and high level systems of Yoga and energy development. I want diverse methods and to develop diverse skills. They are as important to me as meditation and mind training. How far can this program take you?

So another question I would have would be can you also continue on with practicing other practices, Taoist methods, other systems of Yoga like Indian etc., if time permits while you are learning this program?

I'm just curious, if you could clarify, why do you want high level systems of yoga and energy development? For what goal? And what do you mean by "how far can this program take you?"

As for mixing practices, it's up to you. The first cycle is mostly mind training. The second cycle is meditation. The third cycle is tantra. For the third cycle, I wouldn't mix it with anything. It's better to focus on one system of energy development at a time. There is a clear purpose for that. Different energy systems develop different energies in different ways, so it might be counter-productive.

Edited by Sunya

Highest tantra yoga is another name for 'completion stage' http://en.wikipedia....ompletion_stage

Actually completion stage is one of two stages comprising HYT, not HYT itself.

I re-read the program info and it seems this first section can be started at a later time too. Since my birthday is coming up maybe I'll go for it then.

I'm just curious, if you could clarify, why do you want high level systems of yoga and energy development? For what goal? And what do you mean by "how far can this program take you?"

I have a high level of respect for the great spiritual traditions and lineages of the world. Especially, I respect the most, traditions that know how to develop the subtle energy of the body and universe, and understand the true nature of the mind. I want to know everything I can, and get all the best systems. I want to develop spiritually, and develop a high spiritual level in every great art and path I can get a hold of. I want a diverse skill set. I want a diverse understanding of spiritual cultivation methods and development. I want to know the similarities and differences, I want to know the underlying truths. I want the mysteries, I want the secrets, I want to understand the highest levels of the highest paths.

I believe we are in the age where the veil should be lifted and mankind should gain the best methods of developing their mind, and especially their body and energy. These types of systems should be the future culture of mankind, for the current and coming age.

What I mean by how far can it take you, is will it basically get you the high level meditation level of Tibetan Buddhism, and can you eventually get to the things in the videos like trulkor, tummo, changing hand mudras, etc.?

As for mixing practices, it's up to you. The first cycle is mostly mind training. The second cycle is meditation. The third cycle is tantra. For the third cycle, I wouldn't mix it with anything. It's better to focus on one system of energy development at a time. There is a clear purpose for that. Different energy systems develop different energies in different ways, so it might be counter-productive.

That is always dilemma when someone recomends you only do their practice for a period of time. You must have a lot of faith in them if you will forego all the other great paths and systems potentially out there.

However, it can be worth it.....but that is a major choice you will have to make and consider carefully.

It can be difficult finding ways to practice mulitple systems, fitting them all in a way that doesn't interfere with each other. But it can be done I am sure.

Edited by Immortal4life