Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Compassion and Taoism

Hello Marblehead,

Didn't we have this conversation once before? I think the consensus was that compassion doesn't mean that you allow someone to beat the crap out of you, only that you don't beat the crap out of someone else (with no good reason). With that said, if someone is going down into the gutter, I think I'll let them go alone so I don't get dirty.

I am advocating compassion, but not requiring it. If someone doesn't feel the need to be compassionate or they believe strength should be countered with strength, then that's fine, they have that right. For me, I'm trying to get back to letting this stuff go, because in the end it's not worth the stress that comes along with it.

Aaron

Hello Marblehead,

Didn't we have this conversation once before? I think the consensus was that compassion doesn't mean that you allow someone to beat the crap out of you, only that you don't beat the crap out of someone else (with no good reason). With that said, if someone is going down into the gutter, I think I'll let them go alone so I don't get dirty.

I am advocating compassion, but not requiring it. If someone doesn't feel the need to be compassionate or they believe strength should be countered with strength, then that's fine, they have that right. For me, I'm trying to get back to letting this stuff go, because in the end it's not worth the stress that comes along with it.

Aaron

Hehehe. Yes, we have had this discussion before. I have no problem with repeating myself if I feel the concept is important.

Yes, you speak about compassion much more than I do. (Do I even speak of it?) And this is good. Someone needs speak about it.

Oh, I have been dirty many times before in my life. But it (my life) is one of those wash 'n' wear kinds so the clean-up is real easy.

I agree though, we all need find ways to remove our stress. I suppose practicing compassion is as good a way as any other.

Hehehe. Yes, we have had this discussion before. I have no problem with repeating myself if I feel the concept is important.

Yes, you speak about compassion much more than I do. (Do I even speak of it?) And this is good. Someone needs speak about it.

Oh, I have been dirty many times before in my life. But it (my life) is one of those wash 'n' wear kinds so the clean-up is real easy.

I agree though, we all need find ways to remove our stress. I suppose practicing compassion is as good a way as any other.

Hello Marblehead,

I've been dirty far too many times too. I think that's why I'm reticent to get dirty if I can help it. Sometimes I am goaded back down into the gutter, luckily on most of those instances the smell or bruises reminds me of why I didn't want to go down there in the first place.

Aaron

Hello Marblehead,

I've been dirty far too many times too. I think that's why I'm reticent to get dirty if I can help it. Sometimes I am goaded back down into the gutter, luckily on most of those instances the smell or bruises reminds me of why I didn't want to go down there in the first place.

Aaron

Yeah. I know what you mean. I will stop now so to not distract too much from the topic.

Changing your perspective if even ever so slightly that you might see through anothers eyes. Feel anothers feelings. Relate on some level, if not many.

Not through coincidence, that you happen to have had the same experiences necessarily, but through the love of and for life.

You are no longer individualistically wanting only for you.

I think females have more of an innate ability for this then do men. As nurturing and caring for a child is generally instinctual for them. Simply by expanding that aspect beyond a personal caring for thier child, the compassion expands.

Just imo of course. :)

Changing your perspective if even ever so slightly that you might see through anothers eyes. Feel anothers feelings. Relate on some level, if not many.

Not through coincidence, that you happen to have had the same experiences necessarily, but through the love of and for life.

You are no longer individualistically wanting only for you.

I think females have more of an innate ability for this then do men. As nurturing and caring for a child is generally instinctual for them. Simply by expanding that aspect beyond a personal caring for thier child, the compassion expands.

Just imo of course. :)

"As nurturing and caring for a child is generally instinctual for them."

There's some arguments "out there" against this view. But I suspect there's (as usual) a lot of other things going on. I was reading about infanticide the other day...In Victorian England.

Sign in to follow this