Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Were the Sages Martial Artists?

Hello people,

So essentially we assume they were, but have no proof to verify it with? See in my own experience with the Lao Tzu I have never felt that the Sages were martial artists. What I sense is that if I was going to compare them to anything it would probably be a philosopher.

In particular, there is no indication, or mention of martial prowess whatsoever, so I assume that they were not considered to be these things. I think this notion came about later on, as the influence of traditional Chinese practices began to influence religious Taoism. When they started to imply elements of the i-ching, traditional folk medicine, and other philosophies to the Tao, this allowed for a martial practice to form.

Just my own thoughts. Again any proof to the contrary would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson talks about the warrior-healer- teacher-priest in Daoism . He heavily foot notes his work and usually has huge bibiliographies. There's proof. I am satisfied with it. No, I don't feel like dragging down my qigong textbooks and laboriously typing in the research.

http://www.qigongmedicine.com/ is his website. He is the one you should be corresponding with about this. He does answer personal emails.

I just wanted to add if you do practice your warrior arts this is your natural progression. You can not help to go from warrior to Sage as a natural progression of your practice over your life. Ask the elders on the list. :ninja:

Edited by ShaktiMama

How good would Ryu be if he could "Only" hadou-ken. And how good would sub-zero be if he could only throw ice balls?

It isn't a cartoon but. When there's a good chance you won't be alive the next month, martial arts are a good investment, especially if you have abilities of some sort.

Hello folks,

I just wanted to point out that I started this thread about six months ago in response to some dialogue that was going on in the forum regarding martial arts and Taoism. I was interested in the question from a scholarly perspective. As someone has already mentioned, the question really doesn't matter, regardless of the answer. In the end, Lao Tzu (whether he was a fictional character or real person) probably did have some knowledge of martial practices, being that most able bodied men were drafted into martial service during the warring states faction (from my understanding). I think what fascinated me about the question was how much did Qigong and martial arts actually influence the early Taoist thinkers. The answer is probably a great deal. Anyways, thanks for the responses. I was surprised to see this rather ancient thread (by forum standards) bumped after such a long time, but everything happens for a reason I suppose.

Aaron

how much did Qigong and martial arts actually influence the early Taoist thinkers. The answer is probably a great deal.

Yes, you're right. It did a lot since not all human rebirths have reached a Buddha level; that it, we all are reborn with lots of karmic debris that needs to be purged and that takes a great deal of practice: opening all the energetic meridians and cleanse the organs to accelerate internal alchemy: jing-qi-shen. Qigong, IMA and Buddhist Vipassana accelerate the cleasing process.

Besides we must always tune in with the wisdom mind (Yi) as it is the only way to deal with the delusional factors in which the emotional mind (Xin) is always clinging onto, and which create karma. Hence keeping the emotional mind in check is the key element to spiritual progress.

Edited by Gerard

Sign in to follow this