Eviander

Is it possible to truly get into meditation?

Guest paul walter

I mean in our industrial fast paced coffee driven culture, is it possible to be seriously into meditation aside from all the fashionable merchants who claim they know how to meditate in the western world? Just wondering..

I wouldn't have survived in the industrial fast paced coffee driven culture without meditation.

Thom Hartmann claims that there are two types of meditation. One is to empty the mind, and the other is to concentrate with the mind. I do the latter. My mind is like a hurricane with too many ideas (instead of debris) whirling around me. I do a Yoga meditation I found in a book when I was 16. I count each breath (one inhalation and one exhalation counts as one breath)from one to ten, then start over. The tricky part is that you have to start over at ONE whenever your mind wanders. It took a few weeks before I could count all the way to ten. I still have stressful times when I can't seem to shut down the mental chatter and get past a count of two or three, but learning to not fret about it is a benefit, too.

Why do you do it then?

To find out if there really is anything more to it than sitting around relaxing very deeply.

I mean in our industrial fast paced coffee driven culture, is it possible to be seriously into meditation aside from all the fashionable merchants who claim they know how to meditate in the western world? Just wondering..

Is it possible to be mindful and attentive? Yes, of course it is.

To find out if there really is anything more to it than sitting around relaxing very deeply.

Well, I can only say that for me there is a lot more to it - in fact sitting around relaxing is a relaxation session and not meditation at all. But you just need to examine it in detail and decide if it is for you ... find your own way.

Well, I can only say that for me there is a lot more to it - in fact sitting around relaxing is a relaxation session and not meditation at all. But you just need to examine it in detail and decide if it is for you ... find your own way.

WHy do you meditate apepch? What do you gain from doing it?

WHy do you meditate apepch? What do you gain from doing it?

My path is mainly through meditation and it teaches me about myself and the world/ reality in a process which brings together energy/power and attention/consciousness. I treat it more or less as a practical tool to access real changes in consciousness.

When I read back what I have just written it sounds like a load of words - so I would say in the end that the thing about meditation is that it allows you to discover for yourself - in your own way - the things that you otherwise just read or think about.

You have to start with a pure heart of genuine inquiry and interest - put in the time and energy and you will get rewards. But its not easy that's for sure. :) Also good to find a good teacher who can give you a few pointers.