Sign in to follow this  
Art

Something in the "air"?

I don't know you or your posting nuances from Adam (or Eve :))

Stick around and, as the band of avatars you've referenced put it in one of their classics,

All Will Be Reve-e-e-e-ealed.

I like your style.:)

Precapitalist man does not act so as to safeguard his individual interest in the possession of material goods; he acts so as to safeguard his social standing, his social claims, his social assets. He values material goods only in so far as they serve this end. But in capitalist society 'instead of economy being embedded in social relations, social relations are embedded in the economic system.'

Loy quoting Karl Polanyi

We have clay tablets from the Summarians that go back as far as 5000 BC. This allows us to see not only what was done in pre capitalist societies, but also why it was done. Records from that time show that communities went to war with each other for no other reason than to get the resources and wealth of the other communities. The only difference between now and then, is that they made no moral pretentions about what they were doing then. Gengis Khan stated that he loved going to war because he could take his neighbors property and sleep with their women.

Also, in modern times, there is no evidence that non capitalist societies are any less likely to make war than capitalist societies. Both theocracies and communist social systems have no qualms about killing to advance themselves or their causes.

There is also no evidence that sacrificing ones personal happiness for the sake of the community produces a happier community. Since the community is simply an abstraction, any happiness must still lie in the individuals within the community. The idea that you can have a happy, statisfied, and fullfilled community by having unhappy individuals that have all sacrificed themselves is simply wrong.

Mind you, this is not a major change, but it seems everyone is on edge, defensive, ready for "fight or flight". I even see it here, on TTB forum.

I believe in the "group consciousness" model.

At any rate, is it just me, or is anyone else noticing this? Any comments greatly appreciated.

F~Art :ph34r:

If you are seeing it in TTB - that rules out a pharmacalogical reason as we are from different places.

Sign in to follow this