Brian

A Couple of Questions about Buddhism

I am decidedly ignorant when it comes to Buddhism and I have a few fairly basic questions (I think) that I am hoping someone can answer for me. Not looking to open a debate about them or devolve into lengthy discussions about the texts or what Gautama said or what have you, mind you -- I only wish to pose a few straight-forward questions on specifics about which I am both uncertain & curious at the current time in hopes of getting some straight-forward answers in response, please.

2. Is multi-verse theory a common element across the variations of Buddhism?
  3. Are buddhas all still able to interact with "us" after attaining true enlightenment?
  4. Are buddhas able to access all past-life memories?
  5. Do buddhas understand the workings of the cosmos?

That's all (for now, at least, although I reserve the right to ask more questions at some future date! :) )

Thanks in advance!

Seeker,

Buddhists don't see the need to access their past life memories.

Here is a website that you can explore and learn for yourself.

http://www.amtbweb.org/tchet110.htm

Seeker, I'm a Buddhist and was born in the hills (Kings Mountain)

I know your thinking as well as Buddhism.

Buddhism is mainly about meditation.

The Buddha's method was meditation.

Largely the main differences between Buddhism and Christianity is that Buddhists don't pray to a god and understand that no one can forgive you for wrongdoings except yourself.

If you watch Golfing news, you can see this in action right now with Tiger Woods.

It is destroying his golf game as the guilt of his disloyalty to his wife and child, occupies his mind.

Tiger Woods is a Buddhist.

The Dahali Lama is Not a Buddhist - he puts politics ahead of Buddhism.

He uses Buddhism as a tool, a false face, to help him engage in politics.

In an attempt to answer your list:

[*]Is multi-verse theory a common element across the variations of Buddhism?

---I think that if you look at the website, you will find that Buddhism does not use multi-verse as a tool as it seeks to relay information in as simple a form as possible. There may be the explaining of a situation in a series of sentences that say the same thing from different angles but it is not used as a standard.

[*]Are buddhas all still able to interact with "us" after attaining true enlightenment?

---The enlightenment of Buddhism is, at it's most simple form, just a clearing of the mind of unnecessary thoughts. This works to make a meditative state called "Mindfullness" that allows our mind to access memories more easily and clears our mind to allow it to find its true creative potential.

It is likened to a farmer clearing a field to allow room for new growth.

[*]Are buddhas able to access all past-life memories?

---There is no need to access past life memories.

[*]Do buddhas understand the workings of the cosmos?

--- no, this is the work of scientists.

Buddhas do understand the workings of our everyday life better than those that do not practice meditation.

Here is a collection of the Buddhist way of thinking - click on the images for a larger, more readable image.

http://www.amtbweb.org/ecards/index.php

http://www.amtbweb.org/ecards/index.php?page=1&cat=Dharma_Cards〈=english_lang.php

For anyone reading this topic:

I found a Free - E-Book on Buddhism contrasted with Confucianism by Thomas Cleary PHD.

http://www.ebook3000.com/The-Buddhist-I-Ching_61516.html

Edited by ~jK~

I hadn't been to see this thread for a while. i just read it and i say "Huh" :huh:

The leg pictures looked pretty but I suppose that was all there was to it. About the rest. I dunno, it sounded kind of weird and incongruent to me with the Ebay thing. Although I'm sure some people make lots of ca4h with it.

However, I'm also very pleased to read Vajra busting out of his shell. Looking forward to even prettier pictures and personal philosophies (which BTW, most of them ARE).

Buddhists don't see the need to access their past life memories.

No need, it happens automatically.

The Dahali Lama is Not a Buddhist - he puts politics ahead of Buddhism.

He uses Buddhism as a tool, a false face, to help him engage in politics.

BS.

However, I'm also very pleased to read Vajra busting out of his shell. Looking forward to even prettier pictures and personal philosophies (which BTW, most of them ARE).

LOL! Thanks Kate... very sweet of you. :wub:

I hadn't been to see this thread for a while. i just read it and i say "Huh" :huh:

The leg pictures looked pretty but I suppose that was all there was to it. About the rest. I dunno, it sounded kind of weird and incongruent to me with the Ebay thing. Although I'm sure some people make lots of ca4h with it.

Leg pictures? I haven't seen any legs...

Of course you would be pleased with our resident tibetian AKA: Vajra- busting out of his shell. - what shell ? - try the most iggied poster on this site.