Sign in to follow this  
OneConsciousness

The Five Tibetans

I'm just curious...

On my facebook fan page, I asked what their daily ritual was... and someone mentioned doing 5 Tibetans in the morning. I've never met a tibetan, let alone done one. har har...

So, I googled it. And watched a video and learned about it.

Who here has tried them? How do they make you feel? Do you look young?

I've done them yesterday and today... and I will continue to do them for 10 weeks. I want to see how I feel then.

Should be interesting.

Who knows if they're 2500 years old.. Heck, who knows if they're even Tibetan.

I've done them a bit over the years. Good fun but IMHO I didn't practise them consistently enough to feel big results myself.

There have been a few discussions here over the years. I think the general opinion was mostly positive, with the jury still out on if they are especially rejuvenating compared to other practices.

I quite enjoy Chris Kilham book about them, good info there.

IMHO adding the 6th would be a worthwile addition, mentioned in the 2nd book (I think)

Who here has tried them? How do they make you feel?

I have practiced the "Rites/Tibetans" on and off for ten years.

To sum up I would call it yoga kindergarten.

Not that it they are bad at all, just very simple. Not a very deep practice and not a practice that can go very deep.

I do pick them up from time to time.

I especially like starting with a set of the "Tibetans" followed by a round of the Taiji "21" chi kung set and then wrapping up with a round of the Taiji long form.

If a person was on the road for business or what not, and had limited time in the mornings, that combo would be the perfect 30-40 workout/start to the day!

I feel that there is something being left out beyond the rhythmic breathing that Kilham added for good measure that accounts for some of the 'miraculous' cures. But who knows?

The 6th sort of under the catagory of missing bit. UMMA Tantra had some information about missing bits (breathing I think) that needed to be pluged back into T5T for optimin benefite. But I wasn't doing T5T at that time so I never looked into it further.

The 6th sort of under the catagory of missing bit. UMMA Tantra had some information about missing bits (breathing I think) that needed to be pluged back into T5T for optimin benefite. But I wasn't doing T5T at that time so I never looked into it further.

I googled UMMA Tantra, but most links are for TaoBums. Is that a username?

I would recommend getting the Yantra Yoga book by Namkhai Norbu if you want to learn real Tibetan yoga. 5 rites are good though, but very simple.

There's a years-old thread on this: http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/2053-the-5-tibetan-rites/

I do them occasionally - especially when my back is sore or if I feel stiff or inflexible. On a daily basis I do IMA (Baduan Jin Qigong, Xingyi Quan Wu Xing, etc.) - but sometimes I feel I need that extra stretch and back support - and that's when I'll do the 5 Tibetans - sometimes keeping it up daily for a week or two.

I can also highly recommend practising it for a few days before having to sit static for long (e.g. long bus rides, overseas plane rides, etc.) - this will ensure against irritations in the back. Don't forget the most important: Practice on the day of travelling too, by getting up 10-15 minutes earlier to kick-start the day.

As such I view the 5 Tibetans mainly as a physical exercise although especially targeting the major energy pathways of the body, but it is of course also a great workout preparation for spiritual cultivation (IMHO much more so than purely physical activities, say cycling or running).

Actually, I've started to do them as a warm up routine again now, after 10 years.

They work much better now, as my practice has evolved generally.

Figured out what was missing to get them to work.

h

I googled UMMA Tantra, but most links are for TaoBums. Is that a username?

http://www.umaatantra.com/index.html Unfortunately it's not going to be siting out in the open to read or I'd link it. (actually it might be, I'm not sure) I just recall it being mentioned that they had some missing bits. Probably more frustrating than helpful, sorry.

Sign in to follow this