RiverSnake

Guidelines for the Breath

This is an excerpt from Daniel Reid's book on Chinese Medicine. It's designed for beginners like myself and i picked up some interesting tid-bits. These qualities can really add a depth to your practice.

Enjoy :)

The Eight Qualties of Abdominal Breathing

Silent

-Make your beathing as silent as possible. This requires that you breathe slowly and smoothly and keep your mind focused on your breeath.

Fine

-The stream of air flowing in and out of your nose and throat should be very fine, like a gentle breeze,not a coarse and choppy like a rustling wind.

Slow

-Each and every inhalation and exhalation should be performed slowly and deliberately, without rushing on to the next breath. To do this, your mind mus also be completely calm and unhurried. Instead of watching the clock, watch your breath.

Deep

-Draw each breath deep down into the abdomen by letting the lungs push the diaphragm downwards. This does not mean filling the lungs 100 percent full, for that would cause the chest, shoulder, and neck muscles to ense up. Inhale up to 70-80 percent capacity, remaining as relaxed as possiblewhile the abdomen expands, then switch slowly and smoothly over the exhalation and draw the abdomen inwards as the diaphragm rises.

Long

-Make your inhalations and exhalations as long as possible without straining or tensing the chest and abdomen. This requires that you breathe deeply and slowly and keep your mind focused on your breath.

Soft

-Cultivate a feeling of softness and smoothness while you breathe by keeping your muscles relaxed, your breath slow, and your mind calm.

Continuous

-Each inhalation should flow smoothly into the next exhalation, followed by another inhalation, and so forth, wihtout pausing or retaining the breath in between. Let inhalation and exhalation follow one another naturally and continuously, like the pendulum of a clock.

Even

-Try to make your inhalations and exhalations even in length and duration. This requires emotional equilibrium and mental quietude. It also provides the mind with something to focus on during practice.

Daniel Reid: The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing

Edited by Tao Apprentice

Very nice instructions.

Some energetic things that can help...place your palms down on your knees, and also utilize the huiyin (anal) lift on the exhale, gently.

Also, bring your mind, feelings and sensations within the lower dantien area.

If you practice from 11pm-1am it's the best time for this...although any time it can be beneficial. I think sipping water from time to time during it helps.

For the mechanical aspects, I consider joeblast (a forum member here) our resident expert!

Very nice instructions.

Some energetic things that can help...place your palms down on your knees, and also utilize the huiyin (anal) lift on the exhale, gently.

Also, bring your mind, feelings and sensations within the lower dantien area.

If you practice from 11pm-1am it's the best time for this...although any time it can be beneficial. I think sipping water from time to time during it helps.

For the mechanical aspects, I consider joeblast (a forum member here) our resident expert!

Thanks for the tip.

good stuff!

haha...too kind, scotty :lol:

there's lots of good stuff sprinkled around here...pietro's learning to breathe thread especially :)