Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Quality tea ware for Chinese teas

Yes, DTH has good quality porcelain teapots. I will order one from them.

About the pu cake I purchased, I checked with my friend and he told me it didn't have any numbers on the wrapping.

Care to post pics of your "guns"? :)

The one I got with me, which cost me $54 USD (cheap compared to real yixing), fails this test:

While pouring, place your finger over the hole on the lid, this action should stop the flow of water immediately and completely if the lid is well fitted.

The rest are:

2. Tap the pots lightly together: the ceramic should make a distinctly metallic sound.

3. Look at the fit of the lid into the pot, it should be flush and appear seamless.

4. Fill the pot with water, place the lid on, and begin pouring the water. it should pour smoothly

I will post a pic of mine when I get some time.

Yes, Chinese tea drinking is an ancient art and takes years of practice to master it, but hey! I am enjoying the ride big time.

Yup... and you know what? It's like all those taoist arts and sciences where you start out learning the routine and practicing it just the way the masters did it; gradually internalize the art to (hopefully) perfection; and then proceed to abandon the rules and do things your own way, using a unique idiosyncratic technique or no technique at all. I had the privilege of being served tea by three accomplished taoist masters in the Dragon Gate lineage, and each of them did it differently. One threw a pinch of green tea leaves straight into each cup, poured some water over them, end of story. Another one did a lot of elaborate pre-washing and steeping and straining and pouring on a beautiful carved tea tray, overfilling all pots and strainers and cups and spilling water and tea all over the tray, obviously on purpose, and then using a large calligraphy brush to mop it up. The third one said chrysanthemum tea is to be served when the weather is hot (which it was) and used a glass coffee pot to steep it in. Go figure.

Yup... and you know what? It's like all those taoist arts and sciences where you start out learning the routine and practicing it just the way the masters did it; gradually internalize the art to (hopefully) perfection; and then proceed to abandon the rules and do things your own way, using a unique idiosyncratic technique or no technique at all.

That's exactly the point about taoism: with kung fu and meditation it's the same story. When you got this point you try to exetend it to all your life :)

It takes time but it's worth!

durkhrod chogori: quite strange about the number on the cake, usually it's there...

I'll post some pics of my teaware in these days.

Excellent thread about telling the difference between real and fake puerh tea. In our example it is 2009 Menghai 7572 901:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12141

This thread discusses the various signs of counterfeits. Exercise caution when purchasing puerh tea.

Great link dg, really appreciated :)

I'll try to take some pictures of my teatable this weekend.

Buscon,

Can you recommend me the following:

1. Electric kettle. The typical Western ones can be found anywhere, but I am really after the Chinese ones that look like a teapot but are metallic. The local dealer I know of uses one of them but sells them for $120 which is way to expensive for a kettle. He just marked up the price.

I did a Google search and only found this site but not sure about the quality:

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=47&products_id=870

What do you think? Otherwise I would like to hear alternative options.

2. Teatable. Are the ones sold over at Yunnan's OK?

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/category.php?id_category=8014746

Thanks in advance.

Buscon,

Can you recommend me the following:

1. Electric kettle. The typical Western ones can be found anywhere, but I am really after the Chinese ones that look like a teapot but are metallic. The local dealer I know of uses one of them but sells them for $120 which is way to expensive for a kettle. He just marked up the price.

I did a Google search and only found this site but not sure about the quality:

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=47&products_id=870

What do you think? Otherwise I would like to hear alternative options.

I've got a normal electric kettle, bought at a local supermarket.

here it is

A feature that I suggest you, is temperature control: it's quite helpful in order to get the water at the temperature you need without using a thermometer :)

The one you posted has a nice thin spout, that's important for pouring slowly the water - I wanna one like that too :)

2. Teatable. Are the ones sold over at Yunnan's OK?

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/category.php?id_category=8014746

Thanks in advance.

I dunno about teatables at yunnan, I bought mine at a local chinese shop.

Anyway it looks quite the same, just think about size: how much space you have and if you wanna drink tea mainly alone or with other people.

@Scotty: yes, those table are quite fascinating :)

Be well

...A feature that I suggest you, is temperature control: it's quite helpful in order to get the water at the temperature you need without using a thermometer :)

The one you posted has a nice thin spout, that's important for pouring slowly the water - I wanna one like that too :)

I know, I still don't know whether the one I found has the temperature control feature which IMO is a must.

Yes, that's why I like the Chinese ones because of the spout. It makes a big difference in the final serving.

...how much space you have and if you wanna drink tea mainly alone or with other people.

I want one to stop the mess of having water all over the table during tea preparation.

Regards.

Sign in to follow this