Kali Yuga

Acupressure for Beginners?

Recommended Posts

I was just wondering if anyone knew something somewhere where I could begin informally studying acupressure and things like this? Is there anything down to earth and simple out there, something that isnt so darn complicated?

 

My problem lies in I feel swamped by all these diagrams and images and such and I really have no clue how to have a practical knowledge and application of this. I quickly tire of something that has no immediate practical application, but I still want to learn about this. For health and energy reasons.

 

I noticed my energy gets knotted up in certain places from time to time depending on place, the things i'm doing, and location.

 

I do meditation regularly but for some darn reason some spots in my body don't seem to loosen up from tension and yucky feeling energy. I am sensitive of the energy but am not able to dissolve it easily and have it flow freely..

 

I dunno, maybe some of you could point me in the right direction?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breathing is the key to acupressure...because stimulating points will just kick up more yuck that you won't know how to process. Breathing processes everything.

 

The best resource I've found is Embryonic Breathing by Yang Jwing Ming. The best tool I've found is the Stress Eraser.

 

In addition to that foundation, zusanli (ST36) is considered a very important point. To stimulate it, just move your ankles comfortably up and down for a few minutes (contracting and relaxing your tibialis anterior) then sit still for a bit. I like to do that after sitting cross legged. In my own opinion, this is more effective than pressing with the fingers. Zusanli is hard to locate exactly. Plus you are activating the skeletal muscle pump to promote lymphatic flow (gets rid of toxins); and another thing is that you are strengthening a commonly weakened muscle, so poise (moving posture) will improve slightly.

 

Anyway if you want to research more I suggest reading the Ling Shu.

 

I haven't personally checked out that translation, but own "A Manual of Acupuncture" by Peter Deadman, and all of the most useful information comes from the Ling Shu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Necro'ing for the purpose of more info along this theme.

 

Does anyone know the best self-acupressure devices?  I've searched and just found "Dr Berg's" but not much else besides some patents for self-acupressure.  I wonder if it might be possible to build one.  I just want something as strong and nodule-y as my skinny elbow :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2010 at 2:54 AM, Aetherous said:

Breathing is the key to acupressure...because stimulating points will just kick up more yuck that you won't know how to process. Breathing processes everything.

 

The best resource I've found is Embryonic Breathing by Yang Jwing Ming. The best tool I've found is the Stress Eraser.

 

Thank you.

 

On 1/14/2010 at 2:54 AM, Aetherous said:

In addition to that foundation, zusanli (ST36) is considered a very important point. To stimulate it, just move your ankles comfortably up and down for a few minutes (contracting and relaxing your tibialis anterior) then sit still for a bit. I like to do that after sitting cross legged. In my own opinion, this is more effective than pressing with the fingers. Zusanli is hard to locate exactly. Plus you are activating the skeletal muscle pump to promote lymphatic flow (gets rid of toxins); and another thing is that you are strengthening a commonly weakened muscle, so poise (moving posture) will improve slightly.

 

Thank you.

Another good point is Hegu (not to be pressed by pregnant women if I remember right) and also Laogong.

 

On 1/14/2010 at 2:54 AM, Aetherous said:

 

Anyway if you want to research more I suggest reading the Ling Shu.

 

I've read bad reviews of that translation, here are 2:

https://www.amazon.com/Huang-Nei-Jing-Ling-Shu/dp/0520292251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523544822&sr=8-1&keywords=ling+shu

https://www.amazon.com/Huangdi-Neijing-Lingshu-Books-Commentary/dp/0980041708/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523544808&sr=8-1&keywords=lingshu

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the most versatile tools for working on your own body is a lacrosse ball, or better, two of them.  Tennis balls work too, a little softer.  You can work just about every point in your body. This book covers a LOT of territory...

 

The Roll Model: A Step-by-Step Guide to Erase Pain, Improve Mobility, and Live Better in Your Body¬† ¬†¬†Paperback¬†‚Äď November 4, 2014

by Jill Miller  (Author), Kelly Starrett (Foreword)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Cheya!

 

Maybe I am doing it wrong, but I particularly want a tool for "hard to reach" places as well.

 

For instance, with massaging spleen 4 point (gongsun), I find it hard to apply pressure just because of the way my hands and feet reach other not so easily.  I even tried using my pointy elbow, but am worried the width of it might damage blood vessels, etc.

 

Appreciate any dadvice on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Goldleaf...

In terms of acupoints (e.g. Spleen 4), my understanding is that activation is more about energy than pressure...  So your attention and focus is most important, not a lot of pressure.  In terms of reaching them, there's a whole book written on activating them with chopsticks!
 

Trigger points are knots or particularly sore places in muscles. They occasionally are also acupoints, but most often not. But even then, the most effective pressure, in my experience, is just deep enough to feel discomfort... and to use that discomfort as a target for what you need to relax...

As for applying pressure to places you can't normally reach, check out the Thera Cane or the Body Back Buddy online. They can apply a lot of pressure, but, as I said, more external pressure is less effective than focusing on internal relaxation in response to the pressure.

 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?sf=col&fst=p90x%3A1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atheracane+massager+self-massaging+stick&page=2&keywords=theracane+massager+self-massaging+stick&ie=UTF8&qid=1524485004

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites