thaddeus

Chia Derivatives..NOT

He writes books, teaches workshops and classes and does teacher's trainings, but mostly he just exemplifies what a balanced practitioner should look and act like. If that's considered "academia" then give me academia!

Hi guys,

I've been studying over here in China, and I've put up quite a bit of the important things I've learned on my website: www.china-feel.com. I hope it helps you. Gives you a bit of an alternative view, after I started studying here, I gave up the practices I learned in the west. (Nothing wrong with the practices, but I feel that the guidance is a bit inadequate, could be completely wrong though...)

Please feel free to give me feedback on it too, I'm also learning, and any places you can point out things that seem wrong to you, or holes in my awareness would be great!

Cheers,

Allan

Oh yeah one more thing...

What I have learned about ego has all been about increasing awareness of your actions.

Energy work on your ego doesn't really seem to work that well, although stillness does dissolve ego a bit from experience... Although I can say after longer periods of meditation, my ego has a tendency to flare up (I'm assuming because it is under fire, and wants to get back in control).

The more I meditate the more humble I seem to become, at least it seems that way to me, people around me may certainly disagree..

What I have been taught for dealing with ego is quite similar to christian stuff saying sorry to god (choose your god, taoists get a whole pantheon!) for things you have done wrong... basically being more and more aware of what I am doing, thinking, being...

Allan

Yan Gao Fei - authentic Chen style tai chi, based out of Florida

Hey Trunk, just noticed this edit. I am very familiar with him..what do you know about him?

T

Hi guys,

I've been studying over here in China, and I've put up quite a bit of the important things I've learned on my website: www.china-feel.com. I hope it helps you. Gives you a bit of an alternative view, after I started studying here, I gave up the practices I learned in the west. (Nothing wrong with the practices, but I feel that the guidance is a bit inadequate, could be completely wrong though...)

Please feel free to give me feedback on it too, I'm also learning, and any places you can point out things that seem wrong to you, or holes in my awareness would be great!

Cheers,

Allan

Hi Allan,

Nice website..would love to hear more about your studies. Who is Mr. Chen? Any more background on him? Also, this was interesting from your site..can you fill in the blanks:

you wrote:

------------------

His reply was quite amazing to me. He said your ***** is in the wrong position, it should be here, and the ***** should be up to your navel, then the ***** should sit above that. Basically he just looked inside my abdomen, saw the positions of things, and then told me to move them...

-------------------

Thanks!

T

re: Yan Gao Fei

Hey Trunk, just noticed this edit. I am very familiar with him..what do you know about him?

He visited a place where I was studying, and gave an informal demonstration to the students, and talked. I'd have to say that the teachers I've met, he displayed the virtue and ability of a highly accomplished Taoist internal martial artist. I have third-person acquaintance with a couple of the students that've studied with him, and they progressed remarkably.

sincerely,

Trunk

He visited a place where I was studying, and gave an informal demonstration to the students, and talked. I'd have to say that the teachers I've met, he displayed the virtue and ability of a highly accomplished Taoist internal martial artist. I have third-person acquaintance with a couple of the students that've studied with him, and they progressed remarkably.

sincerely,

Trunk

Totally agree, he is quite special and I'm glad to see you noticed it and picked up on it. A true taoist.

T

Wow wild tread eh?

i've certainly studied with chia and do not desire any further contact. but don't throw out the baby with the bath water so to speak there has been a lot of shifts to the practices that chia brought over the years by other vibrant souls. this is the way of the tao. he cast the vibes into the wind and they spread wide and grew. i do have great appreciation for chia because of his efforts and still do not see anyone other than michael winn presenting as complete of a practice. michael has worked with the practices dilligently and presents a new light to them at every crossing. this is the way of the tao. there are cetainly things that are missing but man what a package this is. and it is evolving. it is up to the rest of us to shift and bring new blossoms to the flower.

as for Jerry Stocking he will quickly tell you that the inner smile practice saved his life. the simplest practice, yet so powerfull. i have not studied with him but count him as a dear freind. i met him during the many trips he made up the mountian to study with michael winn. he now teaches healing tao stuff as well. he has brought many of his own students to michael and they have stayed with the healing tao and moved into other really cool stuff as well. i have many freinds who have studied with Jerry and have never heard an unkind word from them.

anyway

:-)

Hi Allan,

Nice website..would love to hear more about your studies. Who is Mr. Chen? Any more background on him? Also, this was interesting from your site..can you fill in the blanks:

you wrote:

------------------

His reply was quite amazing to me. He said your ***** is in the wrong position, it should be here, and the ***** should be up to your navel, then the ***** should sit above that. Basically he just looked inside my abdomen, saw the positions of things, and then told me to move them...

-------------------

Thanks!

T

Hi Thaddeus,

Mr Chen is a Quanzhen taoist monk from Huashan, though he is moving around a lot at the moment. Actually it is Chinese New Year over here so chances are he is with his family.

He was a chinese medicine major in university quite a few years ago, but instead of going to practice he became a taoist.

Sorry I can't fill in the blanks due to what I was talking about before, the lack of guidance. I simply don't have the ability to guide anyone through these processes... In person, or over the internet. And especially not in a public forum.

Besides if your thinking is correct, you will be able to take the practices in the west and really make something of them. (try to find some stillness in them, and don't worry about spinning anything, or playing with spirits - that stuff in my understanding is more advanced, non-core work) My aim with the site is to transmit what I can of the thinking side of practice, because I feel that in the mainstream taoist presentation there is a real lack, the west already has an abundance of techniques... I certainly don't want to throw any more things in to confuse people even more... My understanding is taoism is about simplification.

Basically take a technique and stick with it. Just listening to your breathing is enough, and exactly what Mr Chen recommends to people who he can't teach directly - he said that technique can let you enter the gate (ok direct translation, I have no idea how to translate it into English - but maybe think of it like in martial arts when someone gets a black belt people say, ok now they are a real beginner; going through the gate is like becoming a real beginner) and can take you from there to very high levels.

Take care,

Allan

What I have been taught for dealing with ego is quite similar to christian stuff saying sorry to god (choose your god, taoists get a whole pantheon!) for things you have done wrong... basically being more and more aware of what I am doing, thinking, being...

Allan

yeah totally.

but rather than apologising to a seperate entity i have focused on apologising to myself......

never really thought about it in respect to dissolution of the ego, but makes a lot of sense.

surrender.

a really good practice to do.... no wonder i have forgotten totally about it.

notice how sometimes you forget about the really good stuff? it's like you sabotage yourself constantly.... the need to be ever vigilant!!!

Hi Allan,

you wrote:

------------------

-------------------

Thanks!

T

Hey Thaddeus,

I realised quite some time after this that my answer was very incomplete. This thing I was practicing was to control the excessive sexual energy that I was experiencing at the time. My teacher put two meditations together, one the original I was doing, plus an addition of two elements to make sure I didn't go crazy from sexual desire, once the sexual desire was overcome (it was basically a plateau), I dropped the two extra elements and just went back to one focus.

Allan

yeah totally.

but rather than apologising to a seperate entity i have focused on apologising to myself......

never really thought about it in respect to dissolution of the ego, but makes a lot of sense.

surrender.

a really good practice to do.... no wonder i have forgotten totally about it.

notice how sometimes you forget about the really good stuff? it's like you sabotage yourself constantly.... the need to be ever vigilant!!!

Hey Neimad,

Yeah the process is quite interesting I've had times apologising to myself, to the person I did whatever to, to the god, just whatever is appropriate at the time, it can be very mixed...

surrender, the only way I've found not to forget the good stuff, is not to change, not to have too much on your plate at one time, you can only handle so much, besides if you always switch practices, you never find that everything is contained in the depths of each practice, you just need to go deep enough to find it, and amazingly one practice will add depth just as fast as you can handle and integrate it... my experience anyways, good luck.

Allan