Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

The way Sifu Dunn describes " being left in the on mode" not sealing the practice is something to me that says yes!

Another "Ahaaah!!! laugh.gif .

What really gets my attention is his description.

"One would be walking around, going through one's daily routine in a hypnoidal,slightly somnambulist state"

I would notice that being around certain people I couldn't have a convo with or even look at them.

I could only think of ending the contact as soon as possible.

Felt like I was feeling their frustration or "whatever" and couldn't think clearly around them.

Groups would be similar but more of a Contact High.

The more I would practice chi kung the more "hypnoidal" it seems to be.

The chi kung cultivation engine I suspect is still revving.

I'll experiment and see if this sealing the practice with Three breaths the last breath exhaling through the mouth will help.

I do this with the Flying Phoenix and will apply to other practices.

Thanks Again to Sifu for giving generously.

Now I have to go look up what somnambulist means.

Hi Bri3n,

I just happened across your post now--as i was looking for the exact words used by my classmate under GM Doo Wai, Sifu Garry Hearfield, in his older post from Year One of the thread.

I got a kick out of your description of the after-effects of your Chi Kung practice. LOL.

At any rate, about sealing Flying Phoenix Qigong practice with three deep breathes at the end (after initiating every FP meditation with 3 deep breathes). It works for this system and is an inherent "design feature."

Whether 3 deep breathes will work to seal-up and fully terminate practice of other Qigong systems such as the one you've been doing--I have not idea. I hope it works for you. let us know if does. And I hope you found the meaning of "somnambulist"! If not, here's an audio-visual hint: picture Curly of the Three Stooges sleepwalking and grunting-snoring loudly on the inhalation, and then going: "mee-mee-mee-mee-mee-mee-mee-mee-mee-mee-mee-mee-mee on the exhalation. :closedeyes::glare::closedeyes:^_^

Somnambulatory Regards,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

Hi Sifu Terry,

The above is certainly an inspiring message to all. Based on what you Rx, when I enter my second year of FP with vol. 1 and 2 and doing the Sleeper on vol. 7 for some months now, should I skip to the long form on vol. 4 and omit doing vol.3? I own vol. 3 but was waiting to start it in feb. after completing my one yr with vol. one and two. But if it is better to just start doing vol. 4 that would be OK with me. I found out from personal experience that there is no benefit to rushing ahead with this method since the nervous system has to be gradually cultivated to best use this energy. I had obtained one of GM Doo Wai's FP advanced dvds which my medical intuitive had tested for me before I ordered it and he told me I was not ready for the energy it would produce. It was such a simple exercise to learn so I tried it anyway and discovered that I could not fall asleep for quite awhile even though I only tried the exercise for 2 days. The energy was just too strong for me. Since then I am taking my time and sticking to your Rx schedule.

Steve

Hi Steve,

My recommendation of late for FP practitioners to diligently practice the Long Form Meditation on Vol.4 presumes that everyone following this thread understands my position that it's best to systematically learn and practice all the FP Standing and seated meditations that lead up to it and in the order presented in Vols 1-3 of DVD series. For as I explained in Year One of the thread, the order of the FP exercises seen in the DVD series is the order in which I learned these exercises from my teacher, GM Doo Wai. And that general order of practice is the safest and most efficient prescription I know of for learning the basic level of FP Qigong system and the Advanced FP Qigong as well (comprised of 9 very powerful standing-moving meditations). For if my teacher's order of training worked well for me and my classmates in the early 1990's, it should work well for everyone else wanting to learn FP Qigong.

Every practitioner has his or her own way of learning and speed of learning; whether it's slow or fast, the essential thing is that one covers all the meditations and practices them correctly long enough to understand what each one does (energy and health-wise)--and how one FP meditation interacts and relates to another energy-wise. Once the basic FP Qigong has established and one has facility with the FP Healing Chi, the next level of practice will be quite naturally made available to one and it will make perfect sense as the next step--without anyone having to confirm it for you. So no need to rush to get to the Long Standing Meditation. Get to it when you get to it.

Thanks for sharing your experience in trying out the Advanced FP Qigong before establishing the basic level of FP. You found out for yourself why the FP Qigong system is composed of two very different regimens of training. The Basic FP Qigong taught on my DVD series can be learned safely and to good effect without a Qigong master standing watch over you. It cultivates a distinctive healing energy that can stay with you throughout a prolonged lifetime. The Level 2 or Advanced FP Meditations cannot be safely practiced by beginners who have not mastered the Basic Level of FP and conditioned their bodies to conduct the very intensely concentrated energy that the Advanced FP Meditations cultivate. As I stated earlier in the year (or was it last year?) when I had a contentious disagreement with "Sillum" (before he got barred from the thread) over his irresponsible urging of beginning students to try to practice the the Advanced FP Meditations (that I assume had a profit motive behind it): while there might be one yogic prodigy in a several million--or a few high-level Tai Chi and Qigong masters-- who can "grok" the advanced FP practice and instantly derive benefit from them, what happened to you demonstrates why Chinese yogic systems should be learned systematically as taught by their preservers, and also demonstrates why advanced Chinese yogic and martial practices are never committed entirely to writing in literal terms or to other forms of recorded media. The reason is that all advanced Chinese Qigong and kung-fu training require oral teachings, i.e., neuro-physiological “programmings” conferred by a bona fide master. Simple as that. An inescapable truth about the Chinese arts. And whether or not one gets conferred with advanced skill depends on how hard one works and on one's karma. The same is true, of course, of Advanced FP Qigong.

One should be able to discern that by seeing GM Doo Wai's superbly advanced quality of mind-body movement in his demonstration of the Advanced FP exercises. There is so much subtle and beautifully nuanced physical movement and visible advanced energetics that I am still today learning from these videos. And I have been practicing FP Qigong since 1991 and Yang Tai Chi Chuan since 1980 (1976 actually, but I'll start my count from the time that I started training with TC Master Abraham Liu).

•• I'll also take this opportunity to explain that I will probably not publish videos teaching the Advanced FP Qigong because of the risk of serious internal injury: I had once experienced a training accident when I was learning the system: It was the third of the 9 Advanced Meditations, which consists of 8 movements through eight positions all done in a wu-chi-like stance with no lateral shifting of the weight. The very last movement of the meditation is circling up both palms to the centerline at chest level and clasping them together. The palms are touched together momentarily and then released, with the hands lowering to each side of the body. On one particular day when i was unusually stressed, I clasped the palms in front of the heart but instead of releasing them instantly, for some unconscious reason, I kept them there and took three deep breathes in that position. And on the third breath, I held my breath for a couple of seconds before exhaling, which had the effect of "clamping down" on the tan tien. Well, a hot line of energy instantly shot down from my heart through the scrotum to the end of the appendage between the legs. It was startling and just barely--a little bit--painful. And that was unlike any sense of cultivation or energy empowerment that I had experienced in FP Qigong or any art up to that point. (And other internal energy experiences included my first feeling every cell of my body suddenly being charged and inflamed with electrical energy--that felt like being struck by an internal bolt of lightening--while doing Tai Chi form in the late 80's.) At any rate, with regards to Adv. FP Meditation #3, I knew I had made a mistake. And I'm sharing that mistake with all FP practitioners here as an emphatic reminder that:

(A) there is NO BREATH RETENTION in FP Qigong training--breathe normally and do not try to coordinate breathing with the FP movements;

(B ) Advanced FP Qigong requires a solid foundation of the Basic FP (+ 20 years of Tai Chi Chuan would be helpful, too), otherwise a mistake in the Advanced FP practice can be very injurious, damaging your nervous system for starters.

(C ) Where one takes 3 ending breathes matters very much in the Advanced FP exercises.

(D) Thus, if you prematurely practice the Advanced FP Meditations, you do so at your own risk.

Well, Steve, that's my long-winded way of saying what my classmate Sifu Garry Hearfield said on this post very early on about how to train:

"Slow and steady is the Way..."

And again, the cosmically ingenius alchemy of the FP Qigong art is its merging of the body and hand movements with the simple breathing combinations. I went back to find Sifu Garry's words in an early post--around page 5 or 6--which I like a lot and is identical to my experience:

"the hardest was learning the breath combinations the hand movements are simple enough but very effective and since they are simple brings results. Simple and realistic!!!"

...or as I put it on the back of one of the DVD's cases in 2003:

"The power of Flying Phoenix comes from its simplicity; for simplicity causes all things in nature to flourish."

Thanks for your question, Steve, which has allowed me to post this extended answer.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Sifu Terry - thanks for your continued information and guidance. It's really inspiring to be able to come to the board to learn more about the system, as your insight and encouragement is very motivating.

In the past page or so of this thread I am appreciative of the fact that you are advising how to take the benefits of the practice from a basic to a more powerful level. And at the same time letting us know that this is only scratching the surface. Your statement that one's ultimate level of achievement is determined by how hard one works at the practice and karma makes a lot of sense. The controllable variable is the hard work.

Speaking of which I want to share with fellow FP'ers that I have had good results of not only consistent practice, but also making sure at least two practice days per week are longer sessions. That means going for 90 minutes to 2 hours. Last weekend I did a 2 hour session including the Long Standing Form, and after I finished I had so much energy I literally wanted to jump!!! All day I felt like I had springs on my shoes because I had so much energy, and I'm an older guy. ;-)

So as you go through your weekly practice, I strongly encourage you to schedule in some longer sessions. You'll love the results!

Good practicing,

Lloyd

• Like 2

Regarding Monk Holds Pearl meditation

Though this is a "Basic Standing" meditation, Sifu Terry has said this can be done standing or seated.

So earlier this week I decided to do this one seated. Since this is a non-moving meditation I set a chime timer for 15 minutes because it's pretty easy to lose track of time while in a deeply meditative state.

I begin the meditation including the opening breath sequence, and then simply cleared my mind while holding the MHP hand posture in the seated position. Now I enter a state of deep calm.

I'm not sure how long I was into it, perhaps 7 or 8 minutes, and I was pulled out of my state of clear calm because of a profound heat extending from my hands through the lower Dan Tien to the Mingmen area. Actually my state of mind remained extremely calm, however I now made the strong sensation of energy in my lower torso the focus of concentration.

The room I was in was quite cool. However, the heat being generated from this Flying Phoenix exercise was amazing....my hands and fingers were absolutely hot! My Mingmen and lower Dan Tien were flowing with warm energy.

I enjoyed this dynamic sensation of energy until the timer chimed. Then I took the three deep breaths to finish the meditation. I can't remember enjoying the experience of a FP meditation more.

The warm energy I felt during that FP meditation was so wonderfully energetic that I honestly wanted to stay in the meditation longer than the 15 minutes, but I had somewhere to go and had to finish my practice for the day.

So a couple points to make here. First this is yet another example of a "basic" Flying Phoenix exercise being extremely powerful. Again, the basic FP exercises are not so basic.

Second, to build tangible energy in the lower Dan Tien - Mingmen corridor area I can unequivocally recommend this meditation. Before I had started the seated MHP, I expected to enter a deep meditative state....and I did. What I did not expect was the tremendous energy generated by the meditation.

So for those of you practicing FP, as you progress to the more advanced meditations don't forget about the basics. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Fu_dog

• Like 1

Thanks for nice report. It is very handy for the beginners in FP. I tought standing meditations are standing for the reason but now I consider to do some of them as seated. I want to do standing in the mornings and seated (vol.2) in the evenings. I was thinking to do some of standing ones prior to seated and I think now to do one standing + MHP and finish with MGM seated.

They really good to do prior to sleep. Very calming down.

And vice versa if I do only standed ones in the mornings then which one of the seated is recommended to complete the set?

Eugene -

Thanks for your good words. Glad to hear you're getting into FP. A couple things in response:

First, the *only* standing FP exercise that can also be done seated is Monk Holds Pearl. All other standing FP exercises should only be done standing.

Second, if you are pracicing twice per day Sifu Terry recommends doing standing FP meditations in the morning, as they are the most energizing. It's not necessary to finish a set of standing with a seated exercise. Then in the evening session do seated FP meditations, for as you have discovered they can be quite calming.

That said, all FP exercises are energizing, building a cumulative healing energy. The one seated FP meditation that can keep you awake at night is Basic Seated exercise #6, which starts 90...80...50...20. That one can energetically feel like a double shot of espresso! ;-)

Finally, if you are practicing via a single session of FP in a day, then starting with standing exercises and finishing with seated can work well. That said, there is no set rule on that.

Good practicing!

Lloyd

• Like 1

Eugene -

Thanks for your good words. Glad to hear you're getting into FP. A couple things in response:

First, the *only* standing FP exercise that can also be done seated is Monk Holds Pearl. All other standing FP exercises should only be done standing.

Second, if you are pracicing twice per day Sifu Terry recommends doing standing FP meditations in the morning, as they are the most energizing. It's not necessary to finish a set of standing with a seated exercise. Then in the evening session do seated FP meditations, for as you have discovered they can be quite calming.

That said, all FP exercises are energizing, building a cumulative healing energy. The one seated FP meditation that can keep you awake at night is Basic Seated exercise #6, which starts 90...80...50...20. That one can energetically feel like a double shot of espresso! ;-)

Finally, if you are practicing via a single session of FP in a day, then starting with standing exercises and finishing with seated can work well. That said, there is no set rule on that.

Good practicing!

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for your very accurate advice to Eugene. It shows that you have a good grasp of the FP system.

I have these general clarifications to add:

It's fine to do the FP Standing Meds. in the morning and then the seated FP Meds. in the evening. However, once the practitioner has learned all the basic level FP Chi Kung exercises to the extent of being able to do the Long Form Standing Med. with eyes closed (Vol.4) , he/she can mix and match them in anyway that they choose and do them anytime of day. While most FP practitioners find that the standing FP meditations are an ideal practice in the morning, on occasion, I will wake-up and do 3 of the advanced FP seated meditations (Vol.7) first thing in the morning--especially if I have a lot of very challenging mental work to do during the day.

While it is not "necessary" to end an FP Meditation session with seated meditations, it is advisable and very beneficial to practice both standing and seated meditations in the same session.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Thanks for nice report. It is very handy for the beginners in FP. I tought standing meditations are standing for the reason but now I consider to do some of them as seated. I want to do standing in the mornings and seated (vol.2) in the evenings. I was thinking to do some of standing ones prior to seated and I think now to do one standing + MHP and finish with MGM seated.

They really good to do prior to sleep. Very calming down.

And vice versa if I do only standed ones in the mornings then which one of the seated is recommended to complete the set?

Hello Eugene,

Great that you're tailoring the FP standing and seated exercises to find the right mix for your day-to-day practice.

Lloyd is correct in reminding you that only Monk Holding Pearl can be done in both seated and supine positions. All the other standing FP exercises need to be done standing. The FP Chi Kung was created by a yogic genius, Feng Tao Teh--a sage of comparable skill to Chang San Feng, the creator of Tai Chi Chuan.

From my experience in practicing and teaching FP for exactly 20 years now, any of the FP Meditations will not have the optimal health effects if the breath-control sequence is done improperly. Likewise, if one's posture is incorrect, the FP exercise will not have optimal effect. Therefore, doing an FP standing exercise (other than MHP) in seated position will degrade the effects of the meditation and doing a seated FP med. in standing position will degrade the normal effects to a great degree.

If you want want to do the Monk Gazing At Moon upper body posture in seated position, there are other breathing formulas for that--which are not published and which I teach in my FP class.

Also, there is nothing wrong with practicing standing and seated FP meditations in the same sessions. In fact, if one has time, I recommend doing that, as I stated early on in this thread.

All FP practitioners have discovered that the basic seated FP Meditations are very calming and a very healthy practice in the evening that ensures deep, restful sleep (except for the 6th basic seated med, as Lloyd pointed out). But the advanced seated FP meds (Vol.7) are a dynamic energy tune-up any time of day. I often wake-up and do 2 to 3 of the seated Adv. FP Meditations, especially those with breathing (80 70 50 30) and (70 50 20 10).

As I posted very early on in this thread, once one has learned all the exercises of the basic level of FP Chi Kung and understands the energy effects of each one, one can mix and match them in any way that one chooses. I also recommended that practitioners should pick the ones that have most energizing and empowering effects and practice them every day if possible.

Enjoy your practice.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Also, there is nothing wrong with practicing standing and seated FP meditations in the same sessions. In fact, if one has time, I recommend doing that, as I stated early on in this thread.

I also recommended that practitioners should pick the ones that have most energizing and empowering effects and practice them every day if possible.

Hello and thank you very much for your broad answer to my question. I already read above that it is advisable to do both stand and seated at the same session but at the same time I recall the advice to elaborate both standing and seated for the best result.

When you start practice of FP Qigong, try to do at least 3 of the standing meditations in one session and/or 2 of the seated meditations (7 repetitions of each) in one session. If you have the time, practice 3 standing + 2 seated all in one session. And practice each basic standing exercise for at least 10 minutes in the beginning. I know this adds of up to 30 min. already if you do 3 exercises. But it will be worth it.

When you start practice of FP Qigong, try to do at least 3 of the standing meditations in one session and/or 2 of the seated meditations (7 repetitions of each) in one session. If you have the time, practice 3 standing + 2 seated all in one session. And practice each basic standing exercise for at least 10 minutes in the beginning. I know this adds of up to 30 min. already if you do 3 exercises. But it will be worth it.

And that is what I did in the beginning. Also I recall the advice to do all stand. or seated in one session with as much repetitions as possible. To do both vol.1 and 2 with many repetitions is quite the challenge even if I have time. I am coming from the point of doing one of each vol. 1 and 2 for 1 hour and add 30 min for the couple meds form another vol. So it is about 3 hours every day. I feel some kind of my mind resistance doing long sessions over 90 minutes. So it is good to do standing in the morning to wake up but to add couple of seated to complete it and relax would be quite useful I believe. As meditations are good at any time of the day. More over that I just feel hunger in the morning and doing meds for over 2 hours only make my mind wander :blush: and all standing ones I believe not so good before sleep. Last night I did few repetitions of Bending Bows very in slow and relaxed way and I sweated even more then when I am doing weightlifting and I could not fall asleep and managed my sleep only late at night.

Sifu Terry,

In the 2nd Voumne and the 3 Monk Serves Wine. I often loose track of how many I have done.

Is 7 the only count to do or can I do more just to make sure I didn't skip one?

The other standing and seating in Vol 1& 2 do not have a specific count so I am not concerned about do them to much.

i have been doing the seated daily for the past month or so and just added the first 3 standing after finishing the seated.

I took a break for a year or 2 and started them again..

This time doing it I look forward to do them each day instead of doing them out of discepline.

Sometimes in the AM mostly in the early evening. Seems to work well.

I am considering doing all 5 the standing in the AM and seated in the PM.

After a year of this I may start looking into the other FP volumes for varity.

I have heard of that there is some meditation dit da jiao that is rubbed into the palms.

Have you heard of this? If so, does this increase the healing aspect of the FP?

To heal up and raise my vibration is my main goal at this point

Andy

Sifu Terry,

In the 2nd Voumne and the 3 Monk Serves Wine. I often loose track of how many I have done.

Is 7 the only count to do or can I do more just to make sure I didn't skip one?

The other standing and seating in Vol 1& 2 do not have a specific count so I am not concerned about do them to much.

I realized that Terry says on DVD that we do at least 7 rep-s before breath control sequence and 3 afterwards but not sure about latter. May be Terry can clarify it here. Also I read here that it is advisable to do 18 rep-s of BTB in vol.1

) finally--and Sifu Garry can perhaps chime in here as well because he knows so many of GMDW's other similar meditative arts--as long as you have good form and are able to maintain constant relaxation, you can do 18 rounds of Bending the Bows by doing half that number (say, 9 or 10) at the 40-48 breathes/repetition rate, and do the other 9 or 10 at a faster rate, say 32-42 breathes/repetition.

It's important to practice towards a goal of 18 repetitions of BTB per session because you will be able to feel and gauge over time how much FP energy is cultivated by 18 rounds and at what level a reserve or superabundance of the FP energy has been cultivated. Once you have a true and natural feeling of the "output" and efficiency of this exercise and ultimately, the entire FP energy cultivation process, which has several parameters, you'll be able to naturally regulate the duration of your practice to obtain the exact energizing/rejuvenating results that you want.

BTB seems to be one of the basic meditations in the vol. 1&2. It is my supposition. Interesting, I was looking last months for some most authentic yi jin jing set (tendons and muscules change classic) and I have encountered few diff. variations of them but all of them (except one) look like more the calisthenics. Fei Fung Sunn Gung seeems to have concealed tendons and muscules change in it or it is just not stressed. But it is more taoist variation I think and much different from other chi kungs . In standing med-s we work with legs and spine more and in seated with hands and shoulders. That is why IMO we should do it as slow as possible in order to affect body tensions and release it through movement. Well, it is not Iron Body definitely but strenghtens tendons I suppose and release chi from tensions. BTB is real challenge I must say (if you do over 7 rep-s in one go slowly ).

And I wonder if Taichi form can be done at the same slow pace for any benefits?

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 1

Tao Wizard,

The DVD states "7 reps" not "at least 7 reps."

All other exercises in the 2 DVDs I have that have repititions he states "at least".

These three he clearly states "standard practice of 7 repititions."

I just reviewed the DVD just in case I missed it when I reviewed it before my previous post.

I do not want to assume that I can do more.

Hence my need for clarification from Sifu Terry.

Thanks

• Like 1

To all to help understand my position I feel the need to post a short story.

Two Chinese Marital arts schools in two cities 100 miles apart bound together

by one director, for the lack of a better title. I was learning chi kung and many other things at the southern school back in the early ‘80s.

This director learned Chi Kung from a Chinese Sifu. Story was told that he was the first white man to learn this and his life was threatened because of it. He decided to teach

every student he knew. “You can’t kill us all” was his reply.

As time went along the Sifu and this director parted. The director said to the Sifu that he was watering down the Chi Kung.

One student from the Northern school, whom I knew, wrote a book about one of these exercises. This student was every remarkable. I went to his school and watched this graduation to the top honors his school offered. The way it was done then was all students demonstrated their knowledge in forms on other practices. When a student

had shown all he knew he when then drop out and the rest continued. This student

did not even break a sweat for the first 3 hours or so until he was the last one standing and had to show the rest of what he had learned.

I was very impressed.

A couple of years ago I connected with this student. We had a long talk about stuff.

We discussed the book he had written. I wanted to get a copy and relearn the exercise.

I believe it was after publication that he took it to the Sifu for review. The Sifu said it was all wrong, and my friend told me I did not want to relearn it. He directed me to Sifu Terry and the PF as it was a pure every effective system.

As we talked, I also learned that most of the chi kung I had learned had been modified by

this director and was not as effective as it could have been or not effective at all. The 6 years I had done the 6 of 7 levels of that system where not as good as it could have been.

So to keep from changing the FP system by my assumptions I am compelled to seek

only Sifu Terry’s guidance on the specifics of this system.

I truly do not wish to offend anyone. I just want to learn the system as it was passed along by Sifu Terry as it was passed to him.

Andy

• Like 1

Hello Andy,

I am impressed by your desire to safeguard what my meditation guru called, "the purity of the teaching".

When an effective, ancient tradition is passed down it keeps its power if the methods are taught exactly as they were by the original teachers. When subsequent teachers decide to make changes they risk ruining the results that will follow since it is now no longer the same exact method. When I was trained as a teacher of Transcendental Meditation over a one year rigorous period not even one word that was taught was allowed to be changed in order to make sure that no mistakes could be made during the teaching. We served as the mouthpiece for the guru since it was his teaching and his lineage that we were preserving, thus we kept the effectiveness of the teaching. And this is how I approach my practice of FP. If Sifu Terry suggests do it this way, then that is how I strive to learn it. Who am I to think otherwise? Chi Kung is a treasure and we are blessed to have a Sifu who is willing to share this with us in the same manner as he was given this Celestial gift from his Grandmaster.

I put my ego aside when I approach this practice so that my rice bowl will fill with the chi from the lineage of Flying Phoenix masters. And just when I think I really have "mastered" a movement, I know it is then time to go back and review the dvd so I can then spot my mistakes. I love not having to do any thinking with this method.

Steve

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 1

Ruthless, I would suggest you to use search in this thread for the word "repetition". As for vol.1 (you wrote "The other standing and seating in Vol 1& 2 do not have a specific count so I am not concerned about do them to much.") then I can quote Sifu Terry words above:

ANSWER TO YOU QUESTION ABOUT TIMING OF BENDING THE BOWS:

I. My Recommendation (and I do understand that time limitations to practice are always a factor): do BTB as often as you can until you feel that you know its effects inside and out. As for the timing of each repetition that will enable you to do 18 reps in a somewhat reasonable amount of time, here are some general guidelines that to follow:

a) I have always taught students to count from 10 to 12 or more breathes for each of the 4 arm movements in each repetition of BTB--that's a total of 40 to 48 full breathes with every repetition of BTW. For beginners doing 8-10 breathes for each one of the 4 arms movements is fine. (that's 36 to 40 breathes per repetition.)

But I teach 40-48 full breathes per repetition as the standard, preferred, near-optimum way to do this meditation:

(A) raise the arms and pull to in front of throat in 10-to-12 deep breathes;

(B ) lower the palms facing down from throat to pelvis in 10-12 breathes;

(C ) raise arms to "Monk Gazing At Moon" position in 10-12 breathes;

(D) then finally lower palms from throat to tan tien in 10-12 deep breathes.

You'll find that practicing BTB at this rate,can easily take 45 min. to an hour.

II. You can move even more slowly for deeper cultivation:

a) take 15 to 20 breathes for the raising and lowering of the arms. (that's 60 to 80 full breathes per repetition). Naturally, you don't have to do every single rep of the 18 at this speed, or do you have to do 18 at this speed. If you 9 or 10 rounds at this rate of breathing, you will be "cooking" with gas (--FP energy, that is).

b ) also remember that as you practice BTB and feel its' concentrative energizing effects,you can always let the energy sink in and smooth out by taking resting breaths between each rep. with the palms held at the tan tien.

c) finally--and Sifu Garry can perhaps chime in here as well because he knows so many of GMDW's other similar meditative arts--as long as you have good form and are able to maintain constant relaxation, you can do 18 rounds of Bending the Bows by doing half that number (say, 9 or 10) at the 40-48 breathes/repetition rate, and do the other 9 or 10 at a faster rate, say 32-42 breathes/repetition.

It's important to practice towards a goal of 18 repetitions of BTB per session because you will be able to feel and gauge over time how much FP energy is cultivated by 18 rounds and at what level a reserve or superabundance of the FP energy has been cultivated. Once you have a true and natural feeling of the "output" and efficiency of this exercise and ultimately, the entire FP energy cultivation process, which has several parameters, you'll be able to naturally regulate the duration of your practice to obtain the exact energizing/rejuvenating results that you want.

FP Qigong is a tool, and once you learn it correctly, you can practice to gain very, very precise control as to how you use it. And you'll rely less and less on the general parameters that I've expressed based on my experience and from following my teacher's guidelines.

To all FP Qigong practitioners and enthusiasts:

I. Last Saturday morning, I taught my Los Angeles class the basic and intermediate levels of the standingFlying Phoenix Qigong system excluding the 20-minute Standing Long Meditation (FPHHCM) (seen on Volume 4) and concentrating on "Moon-Beam Splashes on Water" (90 60 50 20). This was the order of practice that flowed out of me:

1. "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" - 2x. First time at Tai Chi speed to teach the movements; the second round taking 20 minutes to complete.

2. Monk Gazing at Moon - 10 minutes

3. Monk Holding Peach - 10 minutes

4. Monk Holding Pearl - 10 minutes

5. Wind above the Clouds - 2 times (8 minutes total)

6. Bending the Bows - 18 repetitions over the course of 12 minutes.

7. Wind Through the Treetops - 5 times over 30 minutes. (3 repetitions of the movements only without the breathing sequence; 2 rounds done very slowly using the breathing sequence [80 50 30].

8. "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" two times: 5 minute for first round; 10 min. for second repetition.

So from here

My Recommendation (and I do understand that time limitations to practice are always a factor): do BTB as often as you can until you feel that you know its effects inside and out

I realize recom-s for some movements amount and time for the vol.1. As for the vol.2 Sifu says that "it is standart amount of 7 repet-s" but he can clarify it here himself. I myself am confused about the amount of repetitions for both vol.2 and 1. What does mean 18 rep-s for BTB - 18 before and after breath sequence or 9+9? And here

take 15 to 20 breathes for the raising and lowering of the arms. (that's 60 to 80 full breathes per repetition). Naturally, you don't have to do every single rep of the 18 at this speed, or do you have to do 18 at this speed. If you 9 or 10 rounds at this rate of breathing, you will be "cooking" with gas (--FP energy, that is).

I myself do 6- 8 breathes for raising and lowering but I breathe deeply but without any tension , and my normal amount of breathes is 7 per minute. I do slower then Sifu does on DVD but untill I feel uncomfortable with legs tension. It is about 50 seconds for the MGM raising and lowering and about 60 for the second r. and l. as it is broader arms extention. Should be both r. and l. done with the same amount of time? It's quite the challenge to do BTB slower then 2 minutes for each repetition. Even 2 minutes is 30 minutes only for 14 rep-s of BTB. But as it is "foundation" of FP I try to do at least 14 rep-s and thinking to go for 18 as soon as possible.

I just have done BTB and counted my breathes

But I teach 40-48 full breathes per repetition as the standard, preferred, near-optimum way to do this meditation:

(A) raise the arms and pull to in front of throat in 10-to-12 deep breathes;

(B ) lower the palms facing down from throat to pelvis in 10-12 breathes;

(C ) raise arms to "Monk Gazing At Moon" position in 10-12 breathes;

(D) then finally lower palms from throat to tan tien in 10-12 deep breathes.

I do raise arms to the throat (A) for 6 breathes and 4 for ©. I do BOTH slow but as I mentioned (A) seems to be broader extension of arms to the sides then ©. I spend about 2 minutes for each rep-s with very short break when palms are down at the LDT. It is about 30 minutes for 14 rep-s and it ould be about 40 for 18 rep-s. So is it normal amount of breathes for the BTB?

Tao Wizard,

Thanks for the searc\h suggestion. IU found the answer I was looking for.

From Sifu Terry in an earlier post.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for you positive feedback on the Flying Phoenix Qigong practice.

Regarding seated med's: Try to do them in the half-lotus if at all possible. it may take hard work...such as stretching extensively to make the half-lotus more comfortable. While in 1/2-lotus,lean your torso over left knee; then swing over to the right knee; swing back to leaning over the left knee; repeat slowly many times.

That said, if 1/2-lotus is inmpossible for you to do, then you can try the FP seated med's in a chair. I've told many older students with stiff legs to do this only after they've exhausted all attempts to get comfortable with the half-lotus position. When you're beginning to learn the FP Qigong, do each "Monk Serves Wine" exercise for 7 repetitions. If you want to do another set of 7 reps, take 3 breaths, come out of meditation. Then start anew with another breath control sequence.

It's best to balance teh seated FP meditations with the standing ones, which are more powerful (although many people feel more tangible energy circulating when they do the seated meditations).

Glad you're enjoying the practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Andy

I get a very interesting experience with the standing meditations, especially if I don't concentrate on anything in particular. My reaction, oddly enough is amusement. It's been occurring very infrequently in the past but now makes it's presence more obvious. The minute I try to focus on it, it goes away. Between my eyes (when they are open), I see a scintillating blue light which seems to be about the size of a grain of rice. I don't go looking for it, it just appears and seems very playfull. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

• Like 1

I get a very interesting experience with the standing meditations, especially if I don't concentrate on anything in particular. My reaction, oddly enough is amusement. It's been occurring very infrequently in the past but now makes it's presence more obvious. The minute I try to focus on it, it goes away. Between my eyes (when they are open), I see a scintillating blue light which seems to be about the size of a grain of rice. I don't go looking for it, it just appears and seems very playfull. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Hello Kalidastony--I mean Anthony:

Thanks for your voluminous purchases of the Flying Phoenix DVD's over the years!

You are doing very well in your standing FP meditation practice. As I stated early on in the thread, the FP Chi Kung is remarkable in that its energizing and rejuvenating effects take place so long as one performs the breath- control sequences correctly and holds the postures and does the movements correctly (with total relaxation, etc. That is, one's mind can be focussed on anything or nothing--and the practitioner will still get the healthful results. What more can you ask of a Qigong system??!!!

As for seeing the grain of scintillating blue light, congratulations for passing a significant milestone in the NORMAL course of progression in Flying Phoenix Qi development! See a golden glow covering one's environ has been reported by several practitioners last year, but the blue luminescent light is the report that I've been waiting for!

The following is an excerpt from my FP Qigong manuscript, (Copyright 2012):

"The experience of the luminous blue light is verifiable and repeatable in Flying Phoenix practice. One's visual perception of the blue light will become more expansive as the Flying Phoenix energy cultivation deepens. When is first perceived, most are alarmed or startled by it and consider it to be an external phenomenon. But with further practice, the blue light fully permeates one's being and the practitioner becomes one with it. When this total permeation by the blue light takes place, the initial wonder at it becomes sublime understanding of its divine source. Where that luminous light blue light goes and how it goes are most wonderful surprises in store for the able practitioner."

Also from my FP Qigong manuscript:

"...the blue light will expand with long-term practice and eventually be seen as a visible aura surrounding the physical body that can even be seen on video footage taken of the able practitioner. This bright luminous blue healing energy will also spontaneously "jump off" the Flying Phoenix practitioner onto the energy body of a person in need of healing who is in proximity and for whom the practitioner has positive regard."

Early on in the training, GM Doo Wai told us to videotape ourselves once we had learned all the (basic) FP Qigong exercises. I also posted earlier on this thread that I have video footage of GM Doo Wai in 1991 when he was making a record for me of all the advanced seated FP meditations (not published) of him doing the one with breathing 50 60 80 10)... and in the final 5 seconds of his meditation, the blue light blocked out all the background in the room, and when he finished the final third breath, the blue light lifted and the background features of the room appeared again. I show this footage every now and then to my students in Los Angeles.

Keep up the good practice at your comfortable pace, and keep the thread abreast of your FP experiences! You're the first to scratch the tip of the Flying Phoenix iceberg--a blue iceberg.

Happy New Year,

Sifu Terry

P.S. btw, Reminder to the readership of this thread: all of my previous postings over the past 3 years have been collectively copyrighted in the United States and will be appear in some extent in the "Question-Answer" Section my forthcoming book/manual titles, "Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Kung". And thank you again to the many FPCK thread contributors who have given me their clearances to use their posted questions in my book!

Edited by zen-bear

Tao Wizard,

The DVD states "7 reps" not "at least 7 reps."

All other exercises in the 2 DVDs I have that have repititions he states "at least".

These three he clearly states "standard practice of 7 repititions."

I just reviewed the DVD just in case I missed it when I reviewed it before my previous post.

I do not want to assume that I can do more.

Hence my need for clarification from Sifu Terry.

Thanks

I realized that Terry says on DVD that we do at least 7 rep-s before breath control sequence and 3 afterwards but not sure about latter. May be Terry can clarify it here. Also I read here that it is advisable to do 18 rep-s of BTB in vol.1

BTB seems to be one of the basic meditations in the vol. 1&2. It is my supposition. Interesting, I was looking last months for some most authentic yi jin jing set (tendons and muscules change classic) and I have encountered few diff. variations of them but all of them (except one) look like more the calisthenics. Fei Fung Sunn Gung seeems to have concealed tendons and muscules change in it or it is just not stressed. But it is more taoist variation I think and much different from other chi kungs . In standing med-s we work with legs and spine more and in seated with hands and shoulders. That is why IMO we should do it as slow as possible in order to affect body tensions and release it through movement. Well, it is not Iron Body definitely but strenghtens tendons I suppose and release chi from tensions. BTB is real challenge I must say (if you do over 7 rep-s in one go slowly ).

And I wonder if Taichi form can be done at the same slow pace for any benefits?

Hi Eugene,

In my instructions for the Basic Seated FP Meditations on Volume 2, I'm pretty certain that I say to do 7 repetitions after the breath control sequence. In the seated Monk Serves Wine meditations (as with the standing FP Meditations), the breath-control sequence is always done at the very beginning starting with 3 deep breathes. Then you do 7 repetitions of the movements AFTER doing the breath-control sequence once. (You might have gotten confused because on the DVDs, I demonstrate only the movements of the seated (and standing) meditations 2 or 3 times before doing a final round with the breathing sequence preceding it.)

Hope this clarifies.

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S. And Thank you, Ruthless, for your clarification for Eugene as well.

Edited by zen-bear

Hi Eugene,

Excuse me for replying to your posts in non-chronological order.

Doing "Bending The Bows" at a rate of 14 reps per 30 minutes is an excellent pace for solid cultivation.

Let us know what you experience after a few more weeks of this practice (daily if you can).

Best,

Sifu Terry

I just have done BTB and counted my breathes

I do raise arms to the throat (A) for 6 breathes and 4 for ©. I do BOTH slow but as I mentioned (A) seems to be broader extension of arms to the sides then ©. I spend about 2 minutes for each rep-s with very short break when palms are down at the LDT. It is about 30 minutes for 14 rep-s and it ould be about 40 for 18 rep-s. So is it normal amount of breathes for the BTB?

Si fu Terry,

I am doing at least vol 1 or vol 2 each day. Sometimes both.

Some times after the seated at night I like to do the first 3 standing. Sometimes all 5. It feels good.

Is it better to do all 5 standing or all 6 seated for a shorted time (5-10 minutes each of the 5 or 6) or do 3 of the 5

standing or 4 of the 6 seated for a longer time? I average the standing in about 30-40 minutes and seated to 40-60

minutes.

Coughs and Yawns. I would guess that if cough or yawn while doing the ctrical breath sequence it is best to start over.

If I cough or yawn doing the rest of exercise after the breath sequence, should I just keep going or start from scratch?

Andy

• Like 1

It takes me 90 minutes only for standing. Hmm. May be I am doing something wrong? :wub: :)

I try to stand about 10 mins in posture. And to do moveme nts slowly. Turtle moves slowly and lives longer ;)-

I try to count 1 om 2 om 3 om but it is still challenge. At the momemt I manage just counting 1 2 3... it takes me about 6-8 seconds for the full breath. 10 seconds is still challenge in horse stance

Hello Sifu Terry,

What DVD Vol is this? These two seated meditations that can turn-back ,gray hair into black hair again (brown)? is it in Vol 2 or Vol 7? or in both DVDs?

or anybody here who can answer?

This is a very long thread.. I started reading at the first page and 3 days now I am only at page 50. :wacko:

Sifu Terry really take care of his students questions and supports them really well. Very good of him i'd say.

Thanks

After I practice the seated Monk Serves Wine meditations in particular, the slight signs of gray in my hair turn black. (the ones that always rejuvenate hair for me are: 80 70 50 30 and 50 70 20 10). -- Scout's honor. Since I started practicing and teaching the Flying Phoenix Qigong, I have never heard of any practitioner reporting hair loss, but only hair repair.

• Like 1

Sifu Terry,

Back in Sep '11 you mentioned two meditations that will aid with hair rejuvenation.

If you don't mind, could you post which DVDs they are on and what the DVD titles are?

Thanks,

Nic

Yes I would like to know which DVD

I had gone though reading all the posts and all of the 95 pages.

anybody?

Edited by ShivaShakti