zazaza

the "base" of taoist meditation/mindfullness?

Wow, love that Jade Emperor's Mind Seal Classic! Awesome, thanks! B)

So.... what your saying Vortex is essentially I should contemplate my navel? Focus on the dan tien is Daoist meditation? The be all and end all. The other part about emptying the mind sounds rather Buddhist to me.

If this is 'The' Daoist meditation then what's the difference between the Daosit form and the Zen form apart from the goals and that perhaps in Zen they don't focus on the dan-tien(as far as I know).

Then again, I suppose there doesn't have to be a major difference....perhaps the dan-tien is the major difference.

What does everyone else think?

Edit: Because your worth it!

Edited by Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

Thank you A7! Indeed it is a process, a rather painful one, for most of us. Quite unnecessary,

but a 'cross' most have to bear nonetheless. How unfortunate that most of us have to slog our way

on the longest path to find the shortest way home! :blink:

Please watch this, i think you will like it.. It has a bearing on the cultivation of Wisdom.

One of my favorite contemplations.

Have a good weekend! :D

Thanks - I enjoyed the 10 Bulls video.

This I agree "Quite unnecessary, but a 'cross' most have to bear nonetheless."

Hello N-M-T!

Greetings! I am excited for you that you have connected with A7's wise words! :)He is one of the Bums

here whose thoughts ought to be taken in and assimilated, as far as me is concerned anyway!

:huh::o:mellow:

That's very kind - but it's your wise words which sparked this debate!

Ninpo usually challenges me to a duel at this point ... and as a scholar warrior I am ready. :angry:

Hello N-M-T!

Greetings! I am excited for you that you have connected with A7's wise words! :) He is one of the Bums

here whose thoughts ought to be taken in and assimilated, as far as me is concerned anyway!

Feeling rather sheepish now by having to make this confession - i never studied Taoism :blink: ..

It looks abit silly for having adopted the name CowTao, moreover, i have just begun to think that i have

been intruding in here, poking my nose when it should be in the kitchen where it belongs hehe..

So i have to pass on the subject of Taoist meditation i'm afraid, lest i make a fool of myself yet again.

Oh it's ok, I'm not really sure what quantifies one as having studied Daoism anyway, everyone has their own way and observation. Your views and opinions are as valid and as interesting as anyones. So don't stay in the kitchen too long will you.... you may be needed here!

And as for making a fool of yourself I doubt it, fools are very Daoist in my view, lowest position and all, like water. It's a much maligned path filled with sudden realizations. So keep 'em coming! :) It's all helpful you know.

Ninpo usually challenges me to a duel at this point ... and as a scholar warrior I am ready. :angry:

No spoons at dawn today I'm afraid, I really got what you were saying. But my spoon is ever at the ready :D (but only when scooping is required)

Meditation. I don't think we've established what exactly Daoist meditation is. Can we establish that? Marblehead said it's related to a kind of developing awareness, I myself still think it's something similar to what Tao99 posted related to qietude, which frankly to me looked a lot like Chan/Zen Buddhist meditation. What is the actual A + B = C practice in Daoism, or is there one? Or is it more a form of developing awareness over time as Marblehead said. What is this meditation Cowtao? Apologies if I have missed your thoughts on this earlier, but I'm still not clear on this meditation aspect within Daoism.

Edit: fur bood spilling mystics

Marblehead posted his definition of Daoist meditation on another thread I think.

I would be interested to discuss this - and I think I would start as follows. There's a difference between meditation and meditation techniques. If you ask about meditation or read about it most people will tell you techniques. Like watch the breath, or count the breath ,or concentrate here, or visualize something. These are tricks or toys to get your mind/being into a certain state e.g calm, relaxed and so on. They are probably almost universal although the form will vary system to system, like what form is visualized for instance. Beyond this is the non-technique stuff - just sitting Zazen and so on - where you go stop actually trying to do anything and just be (or however you want to put it). Again this is fine and stops you obsessing with the technique (cos there isn't one). This is all geared to give you a breakthrough (that's what I call it) when you start to have a genuine relationship with your own mind/being -call it what you will. This is where meditation really starts for me. You begin to dwell with yourself in a way which is not about thoughts and is not about not-thoughts.

The thing for me about Taoism (and I mean what I get from TTC and Chuang Tsu) is that it kind of goes straight to this way - like a 'wu wei' of sitting. You are not doing and not not doing meditation.

Does this make any sense? Answers on a postcard :)

Please watch this, i think you will like it.. It has a bearing on the cultivation of Wisdom.

One of my favorite contemplations.

Have a good weekend! :D

Yeah. Good video. A couple questions entered my mind but I forgot them because tthere was so much I understood and agreed with.

Thanks for sharing. You too have a great weekend.

Peace & Love!

The thing for me about Taoism (and I mean what I get from TTC and Chuang Tsu) is that it kind of goes straight to this way - like a 'wu wei' of sitting. You are not doing and not not doing meditation.

Does this make any sense? Answers on a postcard :)

Yep. Very good posts Y'all. I enjoyed reading them.

Peace & Love!