Taiji Bum

Tai Chi Sword Lesson #1 by Me

Yep, I think a lot of hobbyist martial artist have a woo hoo attitude about weapons. I never trained weapons until I learned this form in 2008.

As far as cultivation goes one obvious aspect of sword practice is tapping into the Metal element.

Analysis of my Chinese astrological chart indicates a benefit from more metal energy. Thus I have been advised to bring more of this element into my practice, life.

Another aspect of weapons training is Qi projection. Apparently you should develop the ability to project Qi through the weapon to make it an actual extension of your body. I often think of it as a cosmic antennae bringing energy into me as well. Especially in the "holding the incense pose" which is where you sink down into the ground in cross legged position and hold the sword handle at chest level with the point straight up (see my video appros 1:07). Also this position can be used for meditation zhan zhaung style - difficult but not as painful as you might suppose.

Craig

The Taiji sword forms are Water form, according to my teacher. And yes, they also help in projecting Qi beyond the physical appendages.

Incidentally, Empty hand taiji forms are Earth Forms, Staff is Wood, Spear is Fire and the Broadsword is Metal.

As far as the tassel vs no-tassel argument goes...the tassels are provided to counter-balance the blade. If a sword is blade heavy, tassels can be used as counter-weights.

However, my teacher suggested we get rid of the tassels, since they don't provide any energetic benefits to the forms and get in the way. His recommendation was to buy a good sword instead...which I did. Went to San Francisco, Brendan Lai's Martial Arts supplies on Mission St and found the mother-lode of excellent Swords, Staves, Broadswords, etc, which aren't very expensive either.

The Taiji sword forms are Water form, according to my teacher. And yes, they also help in projecting Qi beyond the physical appendages.

Incidentally, Empty hand taiji forms are Earth Forms, Staff is Wood, Spear is Fire and the Broadsword is Metal.

As far as the tassel vs no-tassel argument goes...the tassels are provided to counter-balance the blade. If a sword is blade heavy, tassels can be used as counter-weights.

However, my teacher suggested we get rid of the tassels, since they don't provide any energetic benefits to the forms and get in the way. His recommendation was to buy a good sword instead...which I did. Went to San Francisco, Brendan Lai's Martial Arts supplies on Mission St and found the mother-lode of excellent Swords, Staves, Broadswords, etc, which aren't very expensive either.

Interesting elemental interpretations. I think perhaps assignment of elemental aspects is just as relative as Yin-Yang aspects.

IN fact I have been told that practicing the discipline of MA or any disclipine is Metal element. Working with a sword made from metal, or any weapon made from metal can be considered connecting to the Metal element. This doesn't also mean that forms can be or have been created to elicit a connection to a particular element. There are no absolutes here, only principles. As my teacher says "don't make it mechanical". Meaning everything is subject to interpretation and differing perspectives. This applies to Yijing, Medicine, Elemental theory, etc.

You got a web address for Bendan Lai's Martial Arts supplies? I need a better sword for sure.

I tried to go to MasterForge which is owned by TTB member MasterForge but when last I contacted him he couldn't be bothered to respond (sorry dude, bad customer service). But his stuff does look gorgeous.

I am hoping to convince my teacher to purchase one for me the next time he goes to China (maybe I will be with him, not sure).

Thanks for the input

Craig

Greetings..

My teacher says: One slip or mistake due to poor tassel control can cost you life or limb.. but, we actually sparred with swords, so the cute little tassels were generally discarded.. they are actually nice little dainties for the noble folks.. my training equally emphasized both ends of the sword, and i actually prefer the hilt's usefullness..

Be well..

Greetings..

I recall Sifu saying: People will fear the blade and eat the hilt.. much truth to that!

Be well..

Interesting elemental interpretations. I think perhaps assignment of elemental aspects is just as relative as Yin-Yang aspects.

IN fact I have been told that practicing the discipline of MA or any disclipine is Metal element. Working with a sword made from metal, or any weapon made from metal can be considered connecting to the Metal element. This doesn't also mean that forms can be or have been created to elicit a connection to a particular element. There are no absolutes here, only principles. As my teacher says "don't make it mechanical". Meaning everything is subject to interpretation and differing perspectives. This applies to Yijing, Medicine, Elemental theory, etc.

You got a web address for Bendan Lai's Martial Arts supplies? I need a better sword for sure.

I tried to go to MasterForge which is owned by TTB member MasterForge but when last I contacted him he couldn't be bothered to respond (sorry dude, bad customer service). But his stuff does look gorgeous.

I am hoping to convince my teacher to purchase one for me the next time he goes to China (maybe I will be with him, not sure).

Thanks for the input

Craig

You are right about the elements...I have to ask my teacher why he specifically indicated the elements that he did...I think he said Sword was water form because of the nature of the forms we practice...

Brendan Lai have a website -- www.brendanlaisupply.com

but you can't view their inventory or buy online. Call their number...but it's not much use until you can see their stuff. Also, their swords etc are far more cheaper than anything you will find on the internet (my first sword I got off the internet and it was rated as good...but it had a very yang blade and was blade heavy).

The first sword I got at Brendan Lai was balanced Yin-Yang, vibrated and flexed very nicely and was light and weight-balanced.

In fact I recently purchased a sword for my friend there and a couple of waxwood staves. Great people at the store, great stuff and great price (and I got a 15% discount on top).

Cheers!

You are right about the elements...I have to ask my teacher why he specifically indicated the elements that he did...I think he said Sword was water form because of the nature of the forms we practice...

Brendan Lai have a website -- www.brendanlaisupply.com

but you can't view their inventory or buy online. Call their number...but it's not much use until you can see their stuff. Also, their swords etc are far more cheaper than anything you will find on the internet (my first sword I got off the internet and it was rated as good...but it had a very yang blade and was blade heavy).

The first sword I got at Brendan Lai was balanced Yin-Yang, vibrated and flexed very nicely and was light and weight-balanced.

In fact I recently purchased a sword for my friend there and a couple of waxwood staves. Great people at the store, great stuff and great price (and I got a 15% discount on top).

Cheers!

My sword is functional enough but the handle won't take too much more intense work, it is getting loose. So I need something more robust.

Guess this goes on the list of things to do next time I get down to SF.

Ciao

Craig

You want to get GREAT at sword work & ENERGY work with a Weapon practice with a HEAVY AXE HANDLE or a HEAVY SWORD and move slow.

Peace

Santi