Marblehead

"Real" Happiness

I tend to agree with the point - but - would the Defining illusion seem just a tad contradictory ?

That, Sir, is one of the many questions I hope we will entertain a bit later in the story.

(I have to get the sage on the move.)

And so, as the sage was walking down the sidewalk toward the park where the seekers were patiently waiting the sage saw a sidewalk cafe down the way and decided to stop there, have a cup of Oogong and put his notes together before meeting again with the seekers.

The sage finishes compiling his notes, finishes off his tea and heads bact toward the park and the seekers.

Notes to story line:

For the present we will hold to the definition of happiness as a state of peace and contentment.

When the sage returns to the group he will present the notes of previously made statements concerning happiness. No names will be used and while the list may not be all-inclusive they are the thoughts that I feel we should discuss regarding the subject of happiness.

The sage will also present a list of quotes from Chuang Tzu regarding the subject of happiness for additional discussion.

Peace & Love!

Thanks for this thread Marblehead.

PS. Just one question, did Bunny ever settle down, was she happy ever after?

Thanks for this thread Marblehead.

PS. Just one question, did Bunny ever settle down, was she happy ever after?

Hehehe. The last I heard was that she was hired by Hugh Hefner to be an ascort for dignitaries visiting Paris.

BTW, one last comment. (This may be of interest to my Buddhist friends here.)

We can not find happiness; we must become happiness. Happiness is not a thing or any particular state or condition. It is what we become.

Just like the "I" we like to talk about. We cannot find "I"; we must become "I". Some people call this self-actualization.

Peace & Love!

Greetings..

Thanks Marblehead, the T'Bums should publish a Comic Book, "The Chronicles of Bunny and the Sage"..

I asked a Buddhist friend, what happens after the Buddhists reach Enlightenment?.. she checked to make sure no one could hear, then whispered.. "we become Taoists"..

Be well, Brother..

Edited by TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Thanks Marblehead, the T'Bums should publish a Comic Book, "The Chronicles of Bunny and the Sage"..

I asked a Buddhist friend, what happens after the Buddhits reach Enlightenment?.. she checked to make sure no one could hear, then whispered.. "we become Taoists"..

Be well, Brother..

You caused a wonderful beginning of my day. Hehehe. Thanks.

Peace & Love!

You caused a wonderful beginning of my day. Hehehe. Thanks.

Peace & Love!

Two more from the gift of the King of Siam to Rhys Davids (Pali Text Society translations of the Pali Sutta sermon volumes):

"When it is said: 'One should know how to judge what happiness is; having known how to judge what happiness is, one should be intent on inward happiness,' in reference to what was it said? These five... are the strands of sense-pleasures. What five? Material shapes cognizable by the eye... sounds cognizable by the ear... smells cognizable by the nose... tastes cognizable by the tongue... touches cognizable by the body, agreeable, pleasant, liked, enticing, connected with sensual pleasure, alluring. These... are the five strands of sense pleasure. Whatever happiness or joy... arises in consequence of these five strands of sense-pleasure is said to be a happiness of sense-pleasures..., an [ignoble] happiness. [As to this, an individual], aloof from pleasures of the senses, aloof from unskilled states of mind, enters on and abides , the in the first meditation... the second... the third... the fourth meditation. This is said to be the happiness of renunciation, the happiness of aloofness, the happiness of tranquillity, the happiness of self-awakening. ...When it is said: 'One should know how to judge what happiness is; having known how to judge what happiness is, one should be intent on inward happiness,' it is said in reference to this."

(Majjhima Nikaya III 233-234, Pali Text Society translation volume 3 pg 281- bracketed material paraphrases original)

Only when it is said, though.

"But the situation occurs, Ananda, when wanderers belonging to other sects may speak thus: 'The recluse Gautama speaks of the stopping of perceiving and feeling, and lays down that this belongs to happiness. Now what is this, now how is this?' Ananda, wanderers belonging to other sects who speak thus should be spoken to thus: 'Your reverences, [Gautama] does not lay down that it is only pleasant feeling that belongs to happiness; for, your reverences, the Tathagata lays down that whenever, wherever, whatever happiness is found it belongs to happiness.'"

(Majjhima Nikaya I 400, Pali Text Society translations volume 2 pg 69)

Taoists, recluses of other sects?-

"whenever, wherever, whatever happiness is found..." which way did Bunny go, she left her sunglasses in her teacup.

Edited by Mark Foote

Taoists, recluses of other sects?-

"whenever, wherever, whatever happiness is found..." which way did Bunny go, she left her sunglasses in her teacup.

Yes, there were and still are various sects of Taoism. The fragmentation happened early, even during Chuang Tzu's day if we consider everything was written by him (which many doubt).

Bunny is very well off financially now and no longer needs those "Cheap Sunglasses".

Any ZZ Top fans here?

Happiness. Yes. If it is based on anything except one's internal 'state of mind' then it will never be abiding happiness.

But still, temporary happiness for me can be eating some Limberger Cheese. Happiness of the senses.

Peace & Love!