Sign in to follow this  
NeiChuan

Wing chun/Chi cultivation. Danger?

Well im going to try out some classes and see if I'll like it.. In this school they do work with acupuncture points and im just curious.. Should I worry about hurting someone? getting hurt? lol Since I may or may not do more intensive cultivation? I just dont want my energy to slip and have something regretable happen. Feedback appreciated.

Interesting point, I cannot answer it accurately. However, I remember from my Ninjutsu training that we very often used to strike/manipulate the acupuncture points. Basically these points can be harmed and healed at the same time, I remember in a perverse way certain strikes being quite invigorating rather then harmful (weird). Saying that most time it would be a very painful experience which I guess is invaluable as it teaches you exactly where these points are for both your protection and attacks!

Obviously with arts like Taijiquan and WC these points are exactly the same and are manipulated to gain momentum.

^

That probably did not help much sorry I'm waffling!

Wing chun is an efficient and excellent art. Sure you can accidentally hurt someone, as you can with any martial art when sparring is involved - that's why it is important to develop awareness and mindfulness - power is nothing without control :)

If you're in the NYC area I would absolutely recommend Lin, he is a wonderful teacher!

Edited by joeblast

Many of the "accidental" injuries in martial arts training are intentional. If you don't really care what happens, then you will have these "accidents" now and again.

If on the other hand you do not want to injure your training partner, and you refuse to do so, then I think there is little to worry about, vis a vis "chi cultivation" or anything else.

Sign in to follow this