Oh, that's cool. Yes, I've always found that an open intuition can know deeper than physical science, which of course TCM is based on subtler ways of perceiving than the western hard sense science guys.

The "Spleen" in TCM is actually more your "Pancreas."

Peace.

:blink:

Sources?

Every translation I've read has identified the spleen as the central organ of the 5 major organs.

yeah, the tcm definition is a little hazy, seems they werent exactly into cuttin people up in those days :unsure: but it does have components of both.

the spleen has an amazing regulating effect on digestion, it reinforces. gleaned that from deadman's manual and applied it to acceptable affect on myself with needles. insufficient recall to elaborate right now ;)

it filters lymph and helps regulate blood plasma - no wonder you see the people in those studies mentioned in the article that have had their spleens removed have died of cardiovascular issues, especially with it acting as the mono-lymphocyte (sp?) store house and an amazing amount of it is able to increase %wise in the blood when there is an infection or trauma (study noted astonishing mono lymphocyte increases after a heart attack.)

its at a key balancing point between zang and fu.

I realize I didnt logically tie it all in a nice bowtie there haha....

Edited by joeblast

My TCM professor was explaining how the "Spleen" in TCM denotes the entire digestive system in Western medicine. The Spleen is the foundation of our post-natal or acquired qi. It takes the essence or jing of the food we eat and sends it to be mixed with the air jing from the lungs to make our qi. It also is in charge of keeping blood in the vessels, the organs in their place, and the condition of our muscular system.

Though to me the part about the Spleen I'm really interested in is its mental/emotional aspects. It houses the "Yi" or our intellect. Ideally if our Spleen is working well we can think clearly, learn easily, and apply our thoughts to the real world (earth being its element). If our Spleens get weak we can have a tendency to worry, fret, and have a hard time learning and concentrating. Also as it is the earth element often people with weak Spleens have a difficult time being "down to earth".

I am glad that we have some people have knowledge of both TCM and Western Science. IMO When it comes to the exact science, I tend to lean toward the western side of the story. On the TCM, it is not as reliable is because all the conceptual thoughts were based on the presumption of the interaction between the elements in the Five Element System with no substantial facts.

:lol: I guess that means thousands of years of empirical evidence dont count? how much of that is the fault of the tcm practitioner that doesnt quite have a solid enough grasp on what he's attempting to diagnose?

• Like 1

Both TCM and Western medicine are trial and error. If one pill doesn't work try another. If one herb doesn't work, changed to another. The only merit about the TCM is there was no side effects.

Both TCM and Western medicine are trial and error. If one pill doesn't work try another. If one herb doesn't work, changed to another. The only merit about the TCM is there was no side effects.

True, but TCM has had a lot more time to do trial and error :-). Although TCM has far fewer side effects than western medicine its a common misconception that herbal medicine is completely free from side effects. This is one reason we spend three years at the masters level learning the herbs, because if you don't know what your doing it is possible to hurt yourself.

• Like 1

What helps a spleen that has suffered under a CCM prescription? 
CCM as in contemporary Chinese medicine.

-A balanced lifestyle 

-Eat really well, chew slowly and focused on your meal and avoid any distractions

-Grounding work. Lots of it

-Purify Heart & Liver

• Thanks 1