Sign in to follow this  
Max

Hungry Ghost Feeding

Got a thought.

Universe doesn't have an admin dept.

Your karma is your karma precisely and only because you hold on to it.

Like wise with merit. If you "gain merit" this can only be implemented as a change in yourself.

So it has to be a reflection of you getting on better with 1)yourself and 2)others and 3)creation in general ALL AT ONCE TOGETHER, because if you're acting like there's a difference between those, the point is getting missed, to some extent.

There is no scoreboard. Not nowhere.

HELLO MR WANKERBADGER, CAN YA ELLABORRATE ON YER POINT WHICH I CANNOT TOTALY PENNETRATE, DUE TO MY OWN LIMMITATIONS.

WAS YER PREVIOUS SCREEN NAME SOMETHIN LIKE, *SERIOUS* BACK IN DA OLD HT BOARD???

BYE NOW,

RJ

What don't you get?

I'm just saying that if you "gain merit" what actually happens?

Something changes in you, there's nowhere else for it to happen.

And what can that change be, but a change in what you are and how you experience everything?

And all this calculation, all "this what if i do this for someone else although I myself don't want to" is irrelevant.

Spontaneous good only comes from the degree to which you don't see yourself and the other as different in the first place.

And gaining merit means getting more like that.

That's all.

Hey Max,

Just to be super clear, are these the correct directions for drawing the sigils?

ohmlah.jpg

ohmahhung.jpg

For now, do it just like you draw here. I need to ask Bill if direction is important.

Hey Max,

Just to be super clear, are these the correct directions for drawing the sigils?

ohmlah.jpg

ohmahhung.jpg

YO CAN YA ALSO DRAW MY SIGIL? IT GOES: OH ME SO HUNG WITH A FAT SALAMI IN IT?

For now, do it just like you draw here. I need to ask Bill if direction is important.

Thanks Max. I did the ritual tonight. Kind of ironic to do my first hungry ghost feeding on Thanksgiving. :shock: The ritual itself felt a little awkward, probably because of unfamiliarity and some difficulty pronouncing the foreign parts of the text.

I'd like to know more about the history of this ritual and more importantly the symbolism behind the sigil, mudra, mantras, etc. I did some brief research online, but couldn't find much description of other ghost feeding rituals. I did find some posts on e-sangha from Buddhists that suggested it was an advanced, potentially dangerous practice that is typically forbidden to lay practitioners.

Here's some of the links I dug up though:

http://www.buddhistinformation.com/manual_...en_buddhism.htm

(search for "FEEDING THE HUNGRY GHOSTS" very similar to Bodri's ritual)

Another interesting article on the same site:

http://www.buddhistinformation.com/merit_o..._a_cemetery.htm

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/religious-act...ls/pg4-6-3a.asp

http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php...topic=6477&st=0

http://www.zencenter.org/bookstore/multimedia.htm

Hi Sean, thanks for the links. Manjusri Bodhisattva is the one who created this method so you may search for his name if you'd like. Same goes for mantras. Zhunti mantra is the most famous one. It comes from Zhunti Buddha, also called "The Mother of All Buddhas" because countless number of Buddhas achieved enlightenment using this mantra.

Sean, all is correct with the exception of drawing the circle (#1). It should be drawn counter-clockwise (all the other directions are correct). Note that in all magic traditions all the ceremonies go in CCW direction.

If you were using blood instead of ricewater, and were looking for power instead of merit, you'd be practicing a branch of Daoist sorcery. ;)

Genuinely interacting with the spirit world in any of its manifestations opens up a can of worms, whether it be aligning yourself with a diety, or trying to turn tricks with a succubus, or just feeding the hungry ghosts a bit of ricewater. Granted, the last one isn't so bad really, but it's best to think twice before taking such things lightly.

hey mbanu have you ever tried any of that kind of sorcery? that sounds a hell of alot like voodoo..

maybe when I am older and if I am desperate I will turn to uh... sorcery... if by some intense curse I am denied awakenment, I would rather be pulling some crazy blood-ritual shit than not doing anything..

I'd like to know more about that kind of sorcery.... wouldnt it be cool to get in touch with some god or diety?

not all magic goes coutnerclockwise. a lot of western sorcery always uyses a clockwise rotation and in most native american practices they go clockwise. the cherokee are the only exception to this i can think of. the idea for american indians is to go "sunwise", and the reason clocks go clockwise is because they mimick sundials which go sunwise.

in recent times though, a lot of wizards, or whatever they call themselves these days, say it doesn't really matter which way you go as long as you are conscious of what you are doing. in other words, a ritual done consciously and unorthodoxly is better than a ritual done correctly but mechanically.

Sign in to follow this