Sign in to follow this  
Lucky7Strikes

Cultivating Everyday, Every Minute, Ever Hour

It's often mentioned that one should cultivate every living moment. I believe this is especially important today since we all live in a very busy age.

IMHO, there are different "methods" in cultivation, like sitting meditation, qigong, tai chi, and yoga. And a basic ground for cultivation like virtuous intent, mindfulness, and so on. Which can be said to be the same thing really.

I'm curious on how people go about doing this.

I, for example, while standing in line would do Yogani's spinal breathing or lower dan tien breathing. When conversing with someone, rather than thinking that the other person is speaking to me, I'd try to see that we are speaking with each other. When a distressing thought comes up, I'd trace its roots. Etc etc.

Oh yea, when I do have time, I would definitely do sitting meditation or other energetic practices.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

I pay attention to my breathing, and thoughts and attitudes as constantly as i can.

It's often mentioned that one should cultivate every living moment. I believe this is especially important today since we all live in a very busy age.

IMHO, there are different "methods" in cultivation, like sitting meditation, qigong, tai chi, and yoga. And a basic ground for cultivation like virtuous intent, mindfulness, and so on. Which can be said to be the same thing really.

I'm curious on how people go about doing this.

I, for example, while standing in line would do Yogani's spinal breathing or lower dan tien breathing. When conversing with someone, rather than thinking that the other person is speaking to me, I'd try to see that we are speaking with each other. When a distressing thought comes up, I'd trace its roots. Etc etc.

Oh yea, when I do have time, I would definitely do sitting meditation or other energetic practices.

Qigong cultivation 24 hrs a day is done by learning to dance in the Wu Wei. It is the tuning in to the energetics of the moment and staying within those energetics. When one does that and Listens/Acts he/she will always be doing the right thing in all given moments in the practice of virtue. Therefore we gain in energy and virtue. The second we lose the energy of the moment by analyzing or thinking of non-sense we will no longer be in the Wu Wei and will lose energy and can only attempt virtue for we no longer know.

Basically one learns how to do this the same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

One of the energy movements in Gift of the Tao II is called Walking in the Wu Wei; it helps teach this 24 hr approach.

When conversing with someone, rather than thinking that the other person is speaking to me, I'd try to see that we are speaking with each other

I like this. What I do is see the other person as myself, as in I and I and I.

Physical: posture and movement.

Mental: thought and word.

Spirit: mood and presence.

All people cultivate all the time, but what are they cultivating?

Few do it knowingly.

I wonder, isn't it more important to just 'be' and live one's life according to their 'nature'?

Be well!

Qigong cultivation 24 hrs a day is done by learning to dance in the Wu Wei. It is the tuning in to the energetics of the moment and staying within those energetics. When one does that and Listens/Acts he/she will always be doing the right thing in all given moments in the practice of virtue. Therefore we gain in energy and virtue. The second we lose the energy of the moment by analyzing or thinking of non-sense we will no longer be in the Wu Wei and will lose energy and can only attempt virtue for we no longer know.

Basically one learns how to do this the same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

Awesome. :D .

I have a friend who is a professional musician....he has the dullest "mind" sense of anyone I know... :lol::lol:

I wonder, isn't it more important to just 'be' and live one's life according to their 'nature'?

I wish I could do that. But that's just flowery language right there....

Just BEEEEEE~~~ :P FLOOOW WITH NATUUUUREE~~ AHHHHH :lol::lol:

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Yes, I think so. The more you try to achieve, the less you achieve. Aiming for mindfulness is like banging your head against a wall...mindfulness happens without effort! And no matter what, progress is occurring if you just live simply, according to your heart, and be a good person. This is what I think.

All people cultivate all the time, but what are they cultivating?

Yep, I like your thinking.

Awesome. :D .

I have a friend who is a professional musician....he has the dullest "mind" sense of anyone I know... :lol::lol:

I wish I could do that. But that's just flowery language right there....

Just BEEEEEE~~~ :P FLOOOW WITH NATUUUUREE~~ AHHHHH :lol::lol:

Hi Lucky,

Actually, it's not too much flowery language for me. I am an old man, retired and divorsed. There is no one for me to prove anything to.

Be well!

It all seems to have been said here already!-

So I'll just agree with the several notions stated above... Staying in the moment is the whole essence of how I relate to Taoism... experiencing the changes. Living deeply and fully all the time...

It may have been hang-overs... that awoke the momentary aspect of living for me many (40) years ago... I was deeply intently aware of every fiber of my being, but it was not pleasant- it took another several years to be as aware in the everyday mundane activities... and now everything remains pleasant... :D

I just do what I need to do as needs arise... :P Soon I will need to do very little in deed...

If you are really 'practicing' 24/7, you're probably pretty much a buddha.

-In my recent experience, cultivating the Secret of the Golden Flower:

I find that I must have reached an apex; the up-hill battle seems to have climaxed, and now practicing '24/7' is becoming more and more a realistic goal. (maybe in a few years I'll be tempted to train in some sort of sleeping practice...)

but in the last few months, I believe that the 'light' has 'crystalized', (however more in my chest than in the head/mid-brow,) ... and now I need simply only remember it, and a subtle bliss comes alive.

On an interesting note, the term 'crystalization' of the light seems faulty to me, now. . . in that I am finding that, whereas once I 'held on to' the light, I am now learning to 'let it go', (or 'surrender' to it. I am reminded of an indian saying, in regards to cultivation, "This isn't it... This isn't it.... this isn't it..." when I pay attention to the light...) The consequence is that the 'light' seems to 'stream', or 'flow', and in that becomes more and more powerful.

It's probably going to be a long, long process for me, cultivating this 'light'. But it is there, and the subtle bliss is very real.

Maybe when I find a master in beijing and start studying/practicing qigong/tai-chi again, my being will really be prepared to open up.

...anyways, practicing tai-chi, qigong, or whatever 'active' practice 24/7 sounds completely ridiculous to me now. (including standing!!) Such 'active' practices should only be done in short bursts to compliment a strong 'passive' practice, (tSofGF, for example...)

Hi Lucky,

Actually, it's not too much flowery language for me. I am an old man, retired and divorsed. There is no one for me to prove anything to.

Be well!

I'm sorry if I offended you.

Zen Buddhists hold koans too.

I guess it really depends on how one understands such phrases. :) .

What can be cultivated or added to what is?

Acceptance of what is at this very moment without imprinting the past onto it with a sharp awareness of any resistance (not a need to change/judge the resisting or push it away, that will happen anyway).

For now that's the simple practice this accumulation of thoughts is performing.

If you are really 'practicing' 24/7, you're probably pretty much a buddha.

-In my recent experience, cultivating the Secret of the Golden Flower:

I find that I must have reached an apex; the up-hill battle seems to have climaxed, and now practicing '24/7' is becoming more and more a realistic goal. (maybe in a few years I'll be tempted to train in some sort of sleeping practice...)

but in the last few months, I believe that the 'light' has 'crystalized', (however more in my chest than in the head/mid-brow,) ... and now I need simply only remember it, and a subtle bliss comes alive.

On an interesting note, the term 'crystalization' of the light seems faulty to me, now. . . in that I am finding that, whereas once I 'held on to' the light, I am now learning to 'let it go', (or 'surrender' to it. I am reminded of an indian saying, in regards to cultivation, "This isn't it... This isn't it.... this isn't it..." when I pay attention to the light...) The consequence is that the 'light' seems to 'stream', or 'flow', and in that becomes more and more powerful.

It's probably going to be a long, long process for me, cultivating this 'light'. But it is there, and the subtle bliss is very real.

Maybe when I find a master in beijing and start studying/practicing qigong/tai-chi again, my being will really be prepared to open up.

...anyways, practicing tai-chi, qigong, or whatever 'active' practice 24/7 sounds completely ridiculous to me now. (including standing!!) Such 'active' practices should only be done in short bursts to compliment a strong 'passive' practice, (tSofGF, for example...)

Cultivation doesn't have to involve crystallization, light, or opening up to call it rightful cultivation. Don't get me wrong, I also think they are great milestones.

The greater changes within happen most subtly. They are almost unnoticeable, because your whole being and outlook is transformed. There is no "you" of the past to judge it according to past principles.

Ordinary mind is the Tao...isn't that how it goes?

Haha...maybe I've been reading too much about wandering Zen monks. <_< .

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

I'm sorry if I offended you.

Zen Buddhists hold koans too.

I guess it really depends on how one understands such phrases. :) .

No offense taken Lucky. I just wanted to make sure we understood each other.

Be well!

Sign in to follow this