Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

women's intuition

All right, in the spirit of universal wub. :wub:

From *my experience* I can say that I developed a much healthier view of men after I changed my mind on the whole gender thing and decided to let myself be a woman (with everything that means to me) instead of pretending I wasn't one. I mean I used to have serious issues with men that I just don't anymore. I think Peter Falk can vouch for this, if he wants to.

I don't think men are stupid. I do think the thought process is different. I think what I stated about men and women can be taken as prejudice by both genders, I can think of a ton of women who would get really pissed off if I told them that because they were women, they had a higher proclivity towards being nurturing, have more emotional receptors in their brain, and I would be less likely to call them up if I needed someone to fight (physically) on my behalf. And of course there are exceptions--one of my teachers, a man, is the best healer I know, and I definitely know women who I would want fighting on my side any day. But I'm not really sure why it's so problematic to recognize two distinct energies, especially on a Taoist site. Of course it is more complicated, there is more to it than just two energies even in Chinese medicine, there are a myriad of patterns of disharmony that can arise for each individual.

I just think if you look at history, hundreds of cultures all over the globe, with no communication, if you look at the tools used by men and by women, who did the hunting and who did the gathering, who took care of the children and who protected the village, it would indicate that men and women had distinctly different roles. I just don't see it as coincidental. In fact this is true about every species. Now of course there is free will and we live in a time in history in which people can pretty much do whatever they damn well please. I just don't agree that the ultimate truth or purpose is to reach some androgenous higher state. I feel I am in my highest state of power when I am being a woman, with everything that entails.

I used to have a pin on my bookbag that said, "I don't feel like nurturing today." I ripped it off this past spring and decided it wasn't about what I feel like or dont' feel like doing. So I see my ultimate path to truth, to God, serving others, etc. to be a distinctly feminine one. I'm not asking anybody to agree with me, just acknowledge that this is how I feel. I have been really consistent about my views on this, we actually discussed it here:

http://www.thetaobums.com/forum/index.php?...topic=751&st=80 on page five or something.

Sean, I thought it was interesting that you mentioned Kabbalah archetypes, because I've studied Kabbalah from a Jewish perspective and they ultimately say that women are endowed with more Binah.

Anyways, this is just my $.02 and I'd like to have space to hold these views even if nobody agrees with me.

I believe it's really beneficial to you and to others reading your posts to read about your beliefs and values and how the apply to you. That's how people bond and expand their horizons. However when you start mentioning your views about other poeple esspecially such large groups as "men" or "women", you're bound to have people disagreeing with you, and rightly so.

Generalities are useful, and accurate, when taken as generalities. That is, they're general trends and accurate only with the caveates that come with a general trend. As contrasted with talking about a specific instance, which gets.. well, specific. :)

Its like, I can say, "plants are green" and I'd clearly be accurate as a generality. But if I look at any specific plant, there's a variety of colors, and its specific to each species and more specifically to each plant itself. Hopefully if I said, "plants are green" we wouldn't have to get into a big arguement that plants have lots of different colors and each one varies. Rather silly. Its implied. There are generalities, which are broad-trend sweeps. And there are individual specifics. They're both accurate in their own right, and with their own limitations of view. Let's not get our undies all in a bunch over it. :P

Gender issues might be a bit more loaded for this crowd than plants, but you oughta see the Sierra Club discussion site!!! :blink:

love,

Trunk

Yeah I agree that making generalities is potentially limiting, and I feel like I do try to look at people as individuals. Like I said one of my teachers is the most kick-ass healers, and he is a man. Also, Lozen, for those of you who don't know, was an Apache warrior woman, and the sister of Victorio. She made it known very early on that she would not be learning the women's duties of the tribe, and spent her whole life serving the tribe in battle. Lozen actually fought in more campaigns against the Mexicans and Americans than any of the other Apache leaders, such as Cochise, Geronimo and her brother Victorio. Anyways, I digress...

Trunk, bringing things back to a balanced center as he does best. :)

One day, Korzybski was giving a lecture to a group of students ...

Ahhh, Uncle Korzy ... Science and Sanity should be required reading. :)

It is actually difficult to have a sensitive, subtle, discussion of depth in this format, isnt it.

Cat, I agree ... this format can lead to difficulties. In some ways it's cool because everyone can get their full point of view across without interuption. But all of the body language, tone of voice, etc. is lost which can exacerbate confusion and division.

Sean.

Sign in to follow this