Sign in to follow this  
Edward M

You are spirit

No worries Marblehead, where i'd disagree is i think a key point.  You say tao isn't a thing, but a process, but doesn't a process have to start somewhere, from an impulse?     

I have my own views as well from experiential pointers that together for a wider picture, but this is by no means complete, and something i experience in the next five mins could turn it all upside down or cause it to implode...   think i'm guilty of trying to get you to see things from my perspective using materialistic language... using you for validation..   apologies, and thank you for putting up with this game! 

My view is the original impulse is the way/the will of the great mystery, and this will, this way, this impulse is also our original spirit, or will.    

Anyway man, i need a break, this has been fun, but exhausting mentally! :)  

Peace  

I'm glad I was able to help[ get you mentally exhausted.  Hehehe.

The beginning:  Karl and I had this discussion a while back.  I hold that the beginning of this universe started with the Big Bang but he rather have a continuous universe regardless of form.  Doesn't really matter.  It's just a mind game.

The important thing is how we are going to life this temporary manifestation we have.  Never mind first cause.

• Like 1

Locate your centre, your self that is your spirit that operates through your nervous system/spinal cord and work from there. 

Gain back control.  You as Spirit must take control of your body, don't let your body control you. 

When you operate from spirit, when you are yourself, your breath will change.  

This is your real breath.  Not the other breath.  

Don't trust ANYONE  that says they can enlighten or empower you.  You are spirit.  Triumph over the control by others whether human, or subtle beings or through any other means and regain your freewill. 

Stay away from societies, orders, esoteric schools etc   

Freedom is the only truth and contains all other truths within it.

Peace

Okay, but what IS spirit, you never defined it .     You say not to  ' trust ANYONE  that says they can enlighten or empower you.' - fair enough, but then you go on to say " Stay away from societies, orders, esoteric schools etc  "  without explaining why. 

Since one follows the other, one assumes you think the 2nd must do the first ?  Or is there another reason ? 

On the face of it, this seems very narrow and ill informed   -  In my experience the  " society, order, esoteric school etc  "  made it VERY clear to me , right at the beginning that if I expected or wanted such  from them  ( being empowered and enlightened by them and not through my own efforts skills and learning and development )  I should leave immediately .   

The reason for any valid fraternity order or school should be to offer assistance and education so the person can find these things themselves and learn how to develop and grow in a balanced way . 

Think i over reacted a bit to something when i wrote the op.  

Was just a certain society gave some kind of attunement without my permission after enquiring about a workshop they were running.  

Just for the record, i'm not claiming i reside in Spirit or anything like that... so take what you will from my the original post..

Apologies for the twattery! 

Peace

Oh ,  okay then  ;)  

'some kind of attunement  without your permission ' !  ?   

(what I wrote above was about 'good groups'  ,   yes, I suppose there are many dodgy ones out there , but it would be a shame for a few bad apples to .....   )

And thumbs ;)

Plenty animals got thumbs .....   

more importantly ;    culture    no animals got that !

I still dont know what you guys mean when you throw the term 'spirit' around like that   ? 

Plenty animals got thumbs .....   

more importantly ;    culture    no animals got that !

Are you sure?

I still dont know what you guys mean when you throw the term 'spirit' around like that   ? 

What part of the word "spirit" do you not understand?

Are you sure?

Certainly ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb#Other_animals_with_opposable_digits

Did you know a Mole has extra thumbs ?  Look up   ' prepollex'    .

and regarding culture (as a verb)  , equally, of course, as culture is a definition of human activity ;

culture

ˈkʌltʃə/
noun

1. 1.
    the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.
    "20th century popular culture"

•  

2. 2.
    the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.
    "Afro-Caribbean culture"
    synonyms: civilizationsociety, way of life, lifestyle

What part of the word "spirit" do you not understand?

' it '    ..... dont you start up on me !       :D

I know what it means and I do understand it , according to my understanding, of course

it is the understanding of it from others here that wrote about it that I do not understand .   

Just a thought, the difference between humans and animals, could well be just our ability to express ourselves as spirit through a physical body. So we go up in degrees of free will each time we go from one birth to another, until finally we attain complete freedom as pure spirit once more. Just an idea!

Peace

The human animal is generally insane and out of touch with spirit. We try to defy and escape it in order to maintain our sense of identity; and even when we think we're on the spiritual path, often we're lying to ourselves about the motive.

The Daoist aim is to shed the majority of madness from our lives, returning to a more animalistic equilibrium with spirit, whilst keeping the beneficial aspects of our mental capacity. Of course, it's hard to know where the dividing line between nature and man's insanity lies. One could argue that anything possible in nature is inline with nature/spirit.

• Like 2

and regarding culture (as a verb)  , equally, of course, as culture is a definition of human activity ;

Nice that only humans were considered in the definition.  There are other species that have learned cultures.  They just aren't as complicated as human culture is.

' it '    ..... dont you start up on me !       :D

I know what it means and I do understand it , according to my understanding, of course

it is the understanding of it from others here that wrote about it that I do not understand .   

Hey, it is one of my responsibilities as a Steward to mess with you now and then.

Yes, I knew what you were referring to.

In a discussion such as this one must be a part of the discussion in order to "feel" what is being said.

And I talk about this stuff probably less than once a year so it's not like I have a standing model of "spirit".

I'm bowing out of this discussion now, i don't have a working model either, and have to accept that trying to theorise one isn't going to help one bit in getting closer to reality of things.  It's just a bit of fun, that's all....

Peace

• Like 1

Can we have a punk version of this thread called 'you are spit'?

I think I would likely ignore a thread like that.

I'm bowing out of this discussion now, i don't have a working model either, and have to accept that trying to theorise one isn't going to help one bit in getting closer to reality of things.  It's just a bit of fun, that's all....

Peace

I enjoyed the discussion.  Therefore I thank you.

If we look real hard I think we will find that spirit must always remain free so that it can exist intuitively and spontaneously.

Anyhow, I might see you in another thread somewhere.

• Like 2

Thanks Marblehead, was an enjoyable discussion we had for sure!   

**raises one for freedom** 

Peace

• Like 1

Nice that only humans were considered in the definition.  There are other species that have learned cultures.  They just aren't as complicated as human culture is.

Because it is an activity by humans , I am really not following you here .  It is as if you are protesting that the term humans does not include jellyfish  :unsure:

What do you mean other species learnt  culture ?   , please show me a species that has culture . 

Are you gettin ornery cause I am right ?   and right about the thumb thing too   ?   ^_^

The human animal is generally insane and out of touch with spirit. We try to defy and escape it in order to maintain our sense of identity; and even when we think we're on the spiritual path, often we're lying to ourselves about the motive.

The Daoist aim is to shed the majority of madness from our lives, returning to a more animalistic equilibrium with spirit, whilst keeping the beneficial aspects of our mental capacity. Of course, it's hard to know where the dividing line between nature and man's insanity lies. One could argue that anything possible in nature is inline with nature/spirit.

The 'modern' human animal  may be generally like that . 

I know some human animals here that still live as you describe (bolded bits ) . They all used to live like that here all the time  ... for tens of thousands of years. 

We have to remember ( and I am constantly reminded of this, on this forum )   that  'we'  humans , and human experience, is not defined by the narrow view and time slot of our own existence , in our own time location society and culture. 

• Like 1

Can we have a punk version of this thread called 'you are spit'?

yes .....   because I would know exactly what you mean 

Thats better than using  a word that can mean anything .... while everyone assumes we all know what each other is talking about. 

" I know !  Let's all go meditate instead ."

"Wait ... what do you mean by meditation, what type of meditation, there are lots of different types and ways to meditate, what one will we use ? " 

" Just shuddup and meditate for Gods sake ! "      :)

• Like 1

Peace

Wow ... I ask what someone means by spirit and   .....  

tumblr_o1gqrcQZWf1si961ko1_400.gif

I enjoyed the discussion.  Therefore I thank you.

If we look real hard I think we will find that spirit must always remain free so that it can exist intuitively and spontaneously.

Anyhow, I might see you in another thread somewhere.

Aha! 

a partial definition - thank you   - also it helps me formulate my  developing ideas on it . 

-    I agree,   even though my idea about what spirit is perhaps very different from most ,  certainly it must ; ' always remain free so that it can exist intuitively and spontaneously.'

• Like 1

Ah!  We get to have more fun.

Because it is an activity by humans , I am really not following you here .  It is as if you are protesting that the term humans does not include jellyfish  :unsure:

No, jellyfish don't have culture. 

What do you mean other species learnt  culture ?   , please show me a species that has culture . 

But there are other mammals, including marine mammals that do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_culture

Are you gettin ornery cause I am right ?  

I enjoy fussing with you.

and right about the thumb thing too   ?   ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb

Go down to the section: 

Other animals with opposable digits

I see ; the Japs decided that objects  were not needed  to  define cultural process .  In any case,  I can see the reason  for the definition , so thanks for explaining ... this time   ...   :glare:

I think there is a wire crossed re the thumbs,  I thought I was saing other animals have thumbs, in response to a post that seemed to be saying, our human difference was we did have thumbs (implying that other animals didnt ) .

Okay, so , if I take your point that , now, some scientists do consider a new definition whereby animals can have 'culture'  ... and you seem to acknowledge we share thumbs .... what do you see as the main basic human difference from animals ? 

... and DONT say 'spirit '   .... without defining it       smiley-face-shaking-fist.gif

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this