YMWong

PLAY-THING OF THE TIMES: CRITICAL REVIEW OF THE RECEPTION OF DAOISM IN THE WEST

Intresting article YM.

Although I have always felt an affinity with Daoist philosophy,the nagging suspicion in the back of mind

I.E YOUR NOT CHINESE has made me realize that perhaps the best I can do is scratch the surface,enjoy the distant aroma and hold the pose.

Although the question can be asked: Does Detroit still make the best automobiles?

The union of East and West may not produce the purest of blood lines, still we should never underestimate the vigour of diversity and some of my best friends are bastards.

The most valid point of the article, toward the end, states that taoism is undergoing the same process of transformation in the West as it already did in China earlier: from elitist to mass-produced.

Indeed.

To this, I might add that it is still possible for a Chinese to peruse the "elitist" aspects of taoism today, not the mass-produced ones, if he or she is so inclined; as well as it is for a Westerner who so chooses. The Chinese didn't have this option thirty, forty, fifty years ago; neither did the Westerners. Now both do... haleluja.

Incidentally, currently there's fewer Chinese taoists of true lineage in China than in the USA, Canada, Australia, Europe, etc.. (That is, if we don't count the Communist party functionaries appointed as taoist priests and nuns at places like Wudang and Maoshan for tourist attraction and/or political face-saving.) I have several Chinese friends and acquaintances -- one of them a devout and messianically inclined Christian, another one a yoga-savvy follower of Hinduism, the third one an agnostic, the fourth one -- well, a taoist who rediscovered taoism when a Buddhist sage he went to see in India told him to read the Tao Te Ching... I kid you not!

The morale of the story? Figure it out...

I have several Chinese friends and acquaintances -- one of them a devout and messianically inclined Christian, another one a yoga-savvy follower of Hinduism, the third one an agnostic, the fourth one -- well, a taoist who rediscovered taoism when a Buddhist sage he went to see in India told him to read the Tao Te Ching... I kid you not!

How i love this world. So many flavors and colours, smells like a nice potpourri !