Sign in to follow this  
Pixie

New Searcher

Hi all!

Let's see... where do I start?? I'm a quirky, off-the-wall 19-year-old from Scotland... and pretty disillusioned with most things in Western culture... I was brought up as a Christian and ended up in a Baptist church for 6 years... let's just say that there is NO WAY ON EARTH that that pastor was a Christian, all he taught was hatred and intolerance, it was totally imbalanced and wrong... so I have kinda lost faith in religious leaders, which also led me to question what I'd been brought up to believe.

I've looked into various different faith systems without much success - this includes Ras Tafari, Catholicism, Wicca... everything you can think of. But everything, I have noticed, lacks harmony, and lacks control over one's own path. I had heard a little about Taoism and liked the concept of Yin and Yang... I felt I could relate to it somehow, as if it was something I was remembering from a dream... but somehow more real. If that makes any sense whatsoever.

I've long had an interest in Eastern culture and religion because it's so different to what I have known. I'm hoping to find some answer/direction in joining this forum... I'm afraid I'm going to be asking a lot of stupid questions, but "He who dares ask is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask is a fool forever". :)

Oh and a bit about my personal background, as well as spiritual: Parents divorced when I was 8, got bullied in school until I was 16, have had a couple of bad breakups, one of which I am still trying to get over. Had severe jealousy issues between myself and my siblings (step-siblings included). Basic result is... no harmony whatsoever, and this is really what I am searching for... wish me luck. :)

Hoping to make some new friends on this forum too, so say hi and tell me a bit about yourselves... Sorry if this was long...

Pixie

Hi all!

Let's see... where do I start?? I'm a quirky, off-the-wall 19-year-old from Scotland... and pretty disillusioned with most things in Western culture... I was brought up as a Christian and ended up in a Baptist church for 6 years... let's just say that there is NO WAY ON EARTH that that pastor was a Christian, all he taught was hatred and intolerance, it was totally imbalanced and wrong... so I have kinda lost faith in religious leaders, which also led me to question what I'd been brought up to believe.

I've looked into various different faith systems without much success - this includes Ras Tafari, Catholicism, Wicca... everything you can think of. But everything, I have noticed, lacks harmony, and lacks control over one's own path. I had heard a little about Taoism and liked the concept of Yin and Yang... I felt I could relate to it somehow, as if it was something I was remembering from a dream... but somehow more real. If that makes any sense whatsoever.

I've long had an interest in Eastern culture and religion because it's so different to what I have known. I'm hoping to find some answer/direction in joining this forum... I'm afraid I'm going to be asking a lot of stupid questions, but "He who dares ask is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask is a fool forever". :)

Oh and a bit about my personal background, as well as spiritual: Parents divorced when I was 8, got bullied in school until I was 16, have had a couple of bad breakups, one of which I am still trying to get over. Had severe jealousy issues between myself and my siblings (step-siblings included). Basic result is... no harmony whatsoever, and this is really what I am searching for... wish me luck. :)

Hoping to make some new friends on this forum too, so say hi and tell me a bit about yourselves... Sorry if this was long...

Pixie

hello, pixie, and welcome.

the word when i was studying for a teaching degree was 'there are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.'.

am sure you will find the finest advice/answers here, and hope you really enjoy.

hello, pixie, and welcome.

the word when i was studying for a teaching degree was 'there are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.'.

am sure you will find the finest advice/answers here, and hope you really enjoy.

Hello trailmaker, thanks for the reply! Wow, that was fast. I think I'm going to like it here. Most forums don't welcome newcomers.

Pixie

Hello trailmaker, thanks for the reply! Wow, that was fast. I think I'm going to like it here. Most forums don't welcome newcomers.

Pixie

right - you'll find taoists very receptive to questions.

at an early age, i was introduced to taoism through lao tzu's 'tao te ching' by a professor of religion, and

have been studying one translation or another many years now. everyone has preferences regarding

translators of the 'tao te ching', and available commentaries to help guide others. my favorite is

'the tao te ching' by david hinton, very concise verses, poetic format. available at amazon.com or amazon.ca

for $5 to $10 u.s. plus shipping, used/good condition. it has, like many editions, a good introduction to taoist

study, and a concise glossary of key terms. great for the beginner.

right - you'll find taoists very receptive to questions.

at an early age, i was introduced to taoism through lao tzu's 'tao te ching' by a professor of religion, and

have been studying one translation or another many years now. everyone has preferences regarding

translators of the 'tao te ching', and available commentaries to help guide others. my favorite is

'the tao te ching' by david hinton, very concise verses, poetic format. available at amazon.com or amazon.ca

for $5 to $10 u.s. plus shipping, used/good condition. it has, like many editions, a good introduction to taoist

study, and a concise glossary of key terms. great for the beginner.

Thanks for the suggestion! Because of my spiritual background I am really quite hestitant about throwing myself into anything too quickly, so something that is consise will be very helpful to me! Thanks! :)

Pixie

Sign in to follow this