sahaj

Authentic Tantric/Taoist sexual yoga teachers

I agree with you fiveelementtao, but I do have to say that sex is included in some of the Tantras (not only in the Vama Marga paths that you mentioned) as a means to awakening. For example the Kashmir shaivite's Vijnana Bharav Tantra. So I understand you point well that 99.999 percent of Tantra has nothing at all to do with sex (at least directly :)) but within that tradition there are teachings that use sexual intercourse with a partner as part of the practice that doesn't include digging up corpses and such :). I am no expert in this field, but I'm not a total beginner either, that is why I am asking the questions. Thanks for your input and clarification.

Yes, you are right. I guess I am just very tired of the new agey "tantric sex" nonsense and was trying to head off the possible deluge of neo-tantric responses. I will now climb off my soapbox...

Mike,

In Advanced Yoga Practices (aypsite.org), which I practiced for a while, they talk about the key ingredient of tantra being brachmaya (sp?)- preservation and cultivation of sexual energy, In practice, this involves 'staying ahead' of the orgasm. It is a part of the larger practice of awakening kundalini- those who are very sexually active would be losing too much prana (at least men) and slowing down the process. For myself, I have felt a subjective difference practicing this method when I have retained for a while and when I have not- I go much deeper when I've been retaining, it seems. I wonder what your thoughts on this are?

I agree. Although I am not familiar with the particular practice you mention, I also practice retention. My first 6 years of SSTT was celibate. practicing celibacy or retention is very helpful in SSTT. It is necessary if one wants to master it...

Yes, you are right. I guess I am just very tired of the new agey "tantric sex" nonsense and was trying to head off the possible deluge of neo-tantric responses. I will now climb off my soapbox...

I agree. Although I am not familiar with the particular practice you mention, I also practice retention. My first 6 years of SSTT was celibate. practicing celibacy or retention is very helpful in SSTT. It is necessary if one wants to master it...

it was a good soapbox..hopefully you chased them away ;)