Long Yun

A Fundamental Buddhist Concept

While this is always an interesting discussion, often leading to a lot of arguing :)

one could take an alternate tact.

If you are Buddhist, live by the precepts as best you can and practice diligently. You've then done all you can do. The next life, if there is one, will take care of itself, whether you understand the minutia of detail or not. :)

Right on! :)

If you are Buddhist, live by the precepts as best you can and practice diligently. You've then done all you can do. The next life, if there is one, will take care of itself, whether you understand the minutia of detail or not. :)

463px-Symbol_thumbs_up.svg.png

Second that.

To me, this applies to everyone, whether they identify as Buddhist or otherwise. The principles of the precepts are a guide to all beings, and for peace everywhere.

Edited by mat black

how can some Zen masters not believe in rebirth when the whole point of Buddhism is to end cyclical samsaric existence? if there is no rebirth then shooting yourself in the head is the best way to end suffering..

about no-self, whats taught in tibetan buddhism is that there is a very subtle nature of the mind that arises and ceases from moment to moment, a clear light formless mindstream that is sometimes synonymously used with 'buddha-nature' or 'buddha-mind', this aspect of mind is completely clear and cannot be found, measured, or touched because it is form-less, an example i read in What makes you not a Buddhist is that the true nature of mind is like a wine glass and ego/karma are finger prints and smudges on that class. this is more of a philosophically graspable method to point to the same teaching as the original teachings of Buddha, i believe.

how can some Zen masters not believe in rebirth when the whole point of Buddhism is to end cyclical samsaric existence? if there is no rebirth then shooting yourself in the head is the best way to end suffering..

The answer isn't really any different than in my last post.

Zen is concerned about right here, right now. Take care of now. Take care of this life. Follow the precepts, not because you're afraid of the judgement of a supreme being or even karma, but because doing so will make your life better, others lives better, and will maintain the proper mental state for practice. Then practice. Arguing about concepts we can't prove is pointless, but living by the precepts and practicing isn't pointless. At the very least you'll live a better life for it. I highly disagree about shooting yourself in the head.

Edited by Bruce