Sign in to follow this  
.broken.

A Practice for Patience

Looks like I'm having a productive day at work...

From http://www.helpothers.org/story.php?sid=8134:

"Random Acts of Patience

--posted by Tenzin on Dec 31, 2007

For some months now, I've been purposely choosing the longest lines to stand in -- supermarket, movies, cash register at stores during holidays so as to "develop" patience. Then, if someone looks stressed, like a mom with kids or something, I give my place away and move back to the line or longest line.

What goes on is my mind races. I start blaming -- clerk for not being faster or organization for not having more checkers, or the lady with the coupons, the man who's visa card isn't accepted. I judge the people in front of me. I notice what a rush I'm in and question why I'm doing this. My monkey mind starts to consume me, racing with endless stream of such thoughts.

I often fail to do this process, just getting carried away by my todo list and my internal stress or "forgetting" to do it. But sometimes I learn -- my mind pauses a bit, I feel the presence of those in the line near me, I breathe a little longer. I observe my inner workings and how that affects my outward behavior. And perhaps in some subtle ways, this process may serve others too.

It's a random act of patience, you could call it."

Yours humbly,

James

Looks like I'm having a productive day at work...

From http://www.helpothers.org/story.php?sid=8134:

"Random Acts of Patience

--posted by Tenzin on Dec 31, 2007

For some months now, I've been purposely choosing the longest lines to stand in -- supermarket, movies, cash register at stores during holidays so as to "develop" patience. Then, if someone looks stressed, like a mom with kids or something, I give my place away and move back to the line or longest line.

What goes on is my mind races. I start blaming -- clerk for not being faster or organization for not having more checkers, or the lady with the coupons, the man who's visa card isn't accepted. I judge the people in front of me. I notice what a rush I'm in and question why I'm doing this. My monkey mind starts to consume me, racing with endless stream of such thoughts.

I often fail to do this process, just getting carried away by my todo list and my internal stress or "forgetting" to do it. But sometimes I learn -- my mind pauses a bit, I feel the presence of those in the line near me, I breathe a little longer. I observe my inner workings and how that affects my outward behavior. And perhaps in some subtle ways, this process may serve others too.

It's a random act of patience, you could call it."

Yours humbly,

James

This is good. So simple. Thanks.

And it gives more time to practice Zhan Zhuang. :lol:

Sign in to follow this