Sign in to follow this  
hyok

Good Source of Fat

I'm transitioning to a full vegetarian diet, but I get into these moods where I am craving fatty foods, like Real Bad, so i'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good vegetarian alternative? Something non-dairy.

Thanks in advance. :)

I'm transitioning to a full vegetarian diet, but I get into these moods where I am craving fatty foods, like Real Bad, so i'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good vegetarian alternative? Something non-dairy.

Thanks in advance. :)

What fatty foods are you craving.

Nuts

Avocado

Avocados! YES! Thanks Scotty. :)

What fatty foods are you craving.

Nuts

Avocado

Basically something creamy. Like ice-cream or cheeses or anything with a creamy fatty texture. I've been buying bags of trail-mix at the local farmer's market, but at some point within a couple of weeks, i get this strong craving for indulgence in fat. Even fatty bacon sounds good during those times! UGH. :)

Edited by hyok

I only know a little about fats so far, but 2 top ones seem to be coconut oil and hemp.

Coconut oil has a lot of MCFAs and medicinal properties.

And hemp oil has a 3-to-1 omega 6-to-omega 3 ratio that exceeds the 4-to-1 "target max." Not to mention the rare Gamma-Linolenic (GLA) acid.

For more available conventional fats, I'd probably try olive oil...or avocados sound good too. Hell, mix 'em together, lol. Flax would be good too, but it contains phytoestrogens so may not be great for men.

^Nice! I've been cooking with olive oil lately, but i'm definitely going to look for a local source of hemp oil. Never tried the stuff so it'll be interesting. Thanks for the info! :)

^Nice! I've been cooking with olive oil lately, but i'm definitely going to look for a local source of hemp oil. Never tried the stuff so it'll be interesting. Thanks for the info! :)

If you cook with olive oil or any oil it is heated and becomes hydrogenated -- not good for you

Light sauteing would be better

Get some ripe bananas - remove skins - place in zip lock bag and freeze.

Blend them with a little water and you will have banana ice cream which really tastes just like ice cream.

Sprinkle some cacoa nibs on top.

A spoonful of flax seed a day is very good.

Grind in a small coffee grinder and sprinkle on fruit of salads - use immediately

If you cook with olive oil or any oil it is heated and becomes hydrogenated -- not good for you

Light sauteing would be better

Get some ripe bananas - remove skins - place in zip lock bag and freeze.

Blend them with a little water and you will have banana ice cream which really tastes just like ice cream.

Sprinkle some cacoa nibs on top.

A spoonful of flax seed a day is very good.

Grind in a small coffee grinder and sprinkle on fruit of salads - use immediately

Interesting info, MM. Especially the banana ice cream. def gonna try that this weekend. Thanks! :)

Sign in to follow this