Sign in to follow this  
mjjbecker

A Life Well Spent

I was thinking about the death of Paul Newman this week. Aside from admiring his acting ability, there is much to admire in the way he led his life. Happily married for over fifty years, his work for charity raised over $250 million and helped the lives of many thousands of people. He seemed to live his life fully and with passion, not at the expense of others, but rather their benefit.

For all the talk of cultivation, the spiritual, the amazing and the profound, I don't think, as Newman himself said, there is anything greater than helping another in need. For all the self important, pompous 'Masters of the Universe' bullshit that goes on at times, we could all do with bearing that in mind.

God bless and rest in peace.

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

Attributed to

Ralph Waldo Emerson

US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

For all the talk of cultivation, the spiritual, the amazing and the profound, I don't think, as Newman himself said, there is anything greater than helping another in need. For all the self important, pompous 'Masters of the Universe' bullshit that goes on at times, we could all do with bearing that in mind.

Mjjbecker, very well-said!

That's why they say you must become a (good) human before a god.

That in itself is no easy feat, and is part of the spiritual journey in itself.

Sign in to follow this