Apech

Questions about Egyptian Mysticism

So what's up with those pyramids? :huh:

Pyramids are recreations of the first hill which was the site of the creation. They also link the earth to the sky - hence the ladder of Horus and Set and so on.

What about Anubis? :P

While we are at it what's up with Ra? What's you interpretation of the eye of Ra?

I've already talked about Anubis - can't remember where but on here somewhere.

Ra is the creative energy - or to be exact 'self differentiating energy' and its eye is the sun. The word for eye 'iret' is from the verb 'ir' which means to 'see' as well as 'make or do'. So the eye was a an active force not just a passive observer - hence the nature of the eye goddesses.

Apepch7,

I know that there has been contention about whether or not the pyramids were intended primarily as tombs or not.

I read one book by an engineer who suggests that the pyramids were not tombs but were built for religious rituals. He believes that the structure of the Great Pyramid was devised with accoustics in mind in terms of the precise dimensions, angles, and building materials used and that the odd contraption you have to pass through to get to the King's Chamber is for fine tuning soundwaves.

If you have a moment, I'd love your thoughts on that.

I ordered "The Sacred Tradition in Ancient Egypt" by Rosemary Clark and her other book on magic which are supposed to be convincing spiritual adaptations from someone who has a grasp on basic Egyptology. I figure that it'll at least get the brainstorming machine fired up.

Thanks for your patience with us... I bet you didn't think you'd get put to work when you joined TBs, did you?

Your pal,

Yoda

Hi Rain,

I don't think you were interrupting ! :) yes touregypt is a fairly straight down the middle Egyptology site.

I read Velikovsky years ago.

--------------------

Yes, the reason that I brought up that book is recent research by Irwing Braverman in USA on Dna from tissue samples from Anknathons family. He claims that Cranialsynostosis might be the cause of his elongated coneshaped scull. Production of the enzyme aromatase (I wonder is it nectar?) may resulted in early craniosynostosis, which means that his cranium grew together to early in life. The result, too much aromatase in a male body will make him deveop feminine features, wide hips, bigger bum, breasts, long neck it will transform testoterone to oestradiol.

Velikovskij also mentioned Anknathons feminine shape and his very close relationship to his mother. If I remember they were the last in a long line of polyteists, then followed by Anknamon who introduced monoteism?

just wondering..

Hi Rain,

Hi Rain,

Yes, Akhenaton is an interesting and controversial figure in Egyptian history. There has been a lot of focus on him because he was so different to the the other kings and introduced a 'new' religion - which was a form of mono-theism based on the Aton - or the visible sun.

Traditional Egyptian religion is based on the resolution of dualities, light and dark and so on and has many gods (like Hinduism), whereas Akhenaton rather like Judaism, Christianity and Islam allows only one god as creator and so on. He changed the national religion from Amen-ism to Aten-ism and there is evidence that this was a traumatic time (as you can imagine).

The common folk however continued to worship their own family and local gods so the new religion did not really bite into the culture. After Akhenaton died they returned quickly to their traditional religion.

He came close to the end of the 18th Dynasty (or possibly right at the end) - his father had monotheistic leanings also. After him was our friend Tutankhamen (notice the return of Amen in the name) - then someone called Ay ... and then the beginning of the 19th Dynasty with Rameses (who was actually a general in the army).

There are a lot of theories about his state of health, physical and mental. His main contribution (apart from being the earliest monotheist (possibly)) was what is called Amarnan art. Amarna was his capital city and he introduced a new more realistic artistic style which is very popular.

Apepch7,

I know that there has been contention about whether or not the pyramids were intended primarily as tombs or not.

I read one book by an engineer who suggests that the pyramids were not tombs but were built for religious rituals. He believes that the structure of the Great Pyramid was devised with accoustics in mind in terms of the precise dimensions, angles, and building materials used and that the odd contraption you have to pass through to get to the King's Chamber is for fine tuning soundwaves.

If you have a moment, I'd love your thoughts on that.

I ordered "The Sacred Tradition in Ancient Egypt" by Rosemary Clark and her other book on magic which are supposed to be convincing spiritual adaptations from someone who has a grasp on basic Egyptology. I figure that it'll at least get the brainstorming machine fired up.

Thanks for your patience with us... I bet you didn't think you'd get put to work when you joined TBs, did you?

Your pal,

Yoda

Yoda,

The Pyramids were quite definitely (IMO) not just for burials - but neither were other Bronze Age 'burial' places, henges, barrows and stone circles etc.

I don't know about sound waves. To be honest everyone concentrates on the Great Pyramid and ignores that it was part of a development of Pyramid building of different styles and layouts. But I wouldn't discount anything.

Apepch7