Sign in to follow this  
Walker

What's the demo?

What's up, yall... I'm a bit of a lurker who has come to have a few questions that I'd greatly appreciate the group's insight on so I figured I should introduce myself. I enjoy walking, hence the name. Personalitywise, I'm really more of a Lorenzo Lamas than a Chuck Norris, but I figured the name "Renegade" was taken. "Maverick" mighta done, but I wouldn't want to take that option in case Sarah Palin or John McCain ever come to this site and want an account with a cool name. I'm very interested in Daoism and Buddhism and have explored these traditions in a couple of ways since my early twenties. I'm now in my mid-twenties, so you might rightly call me a greenhorn. I lived in China for six months this year to see how I'd like it there and if I'd enjoy going back to learn Mandarin and pursue my interests there instead of scratching my head and trying to decide between the 29,549,743 translations of the Daodejing on Amazon. It was a great six months and I'm thinking I'd like to go back. My questions at the moment, when I get around to asking em, revolve around what it takes for foreigners to go to China to study Daoism (as a practitioner, not an academic). Seems like there are people here who can lend some insight.

In terms of tea, why funny you should ask. I brought a brick of green with me, Guizhou's finest. Best drank loose and unadulterated, if you're to follow the advise of those who gave it to me. Make sure you've got a cup with a lid so you can push the leaves back before you sip... Yak butter's in the cabinet by the sink for those who can't imagine tea without it. Sorry if it's a bit rancid, I like it tangy.

Tea talk? Worst tea I have ever had in my life was in China! Damn! They push tea on you where ever you go in China too! Go to a frikken hardware store to get a hammer and you have to sit down for tea first.

EDIT: Oops... Welcome to da Bums.

Edited by DarinHamel

:mellow:

Tangy? Ya like it thick enough to stick a wick!

Uughh ... tangy yack butter ... i am now ill.

Enjoy your tea!

I got a bag of black with me, got a cup and some milk : )

The water hot?

Be fun to hear what you see here!

Enjoy your stay walker!

... may need some coffee for Darin?

Hot chocolate? Somethinsomthin on rocks?

NO TANGY YACK!!!

:D

Enjoy!

Tea talk? Worst tea I have ever had in my life was in China! Damn! They push tea on you where ever you go in China too! Go to a frikken hardware store to get a hammer and you have to sit down for tea first.

Hah, true 'nuff. Nothing like good old three sad-looking leaves in an impossibly thin plastic cup while you wait for your noodles. Not to mention you've gotta fight those cigarettes off with deep determination if you don't smoke. I got the tea I'm sipping now as a lucky gift, though. Some friends and I painted a mural in an orphanage and after it was all said and done we dropped in on the director to say thanks for letting us turn his building into a multicolored madhouse for a couple of weeks and present him with a bottle of rice wine (the wine wasn't my idea... I'd not wish baijiu upon anybody). Before we knew what was happening he went into his cabinet and produced three bricks of very nice tea which I don't think were being saved for our surprise visit. I felt kind of bad, as I don't think it was cheap, but the laws of reciprocation are not to be violated... 'specially when they yield such fine sipping.

And I'll keep that yak butter well hidden. It's a good thing I haven't been drinking much of it lately, as it takes not long before it starts to seep out the pores, giving one a distinctive, intriguing, and utterly unconcealable aroma.

Sign in to follow this