Sign in to follow this  
River Gazer

Finaly figured it out

It's 2008. We still work 40 hours a week, groceries still cost alot, housing even more... We aren't even richer than in the '50s. We can buy stuff more, but it just breaks.

Now, we should have the wealth for, if your innane, a giant house and 3 cars, and if you got a brain, a shop and lab, and an awesome dune buggy and a small house out in the desert.

More and more, i think that to sustain the average lifestyle would be 2 or 3 hours of labor a day with quality products and sensible management. Why do things break? Simple. They are designed to.

The military (hurr durr) makes guns which last 50,000 rounds before decommission, yet we cant build a fridge that lasts 30 years like those in the 60s? Horseshit. If it breaks, you buy another. They get richer.

This disposable crap method applies to all parts of this society I can see.

I could make a car engine weight half the weight, high-performance, that'll last for 10 - 20 years depending how you treat it, yada yada.

A fridge with a 25 year warranty, void for unwarranted abuse

A house that lasts 300 years based on just a few hours learning about Japanese lacquering methods.

I just got no money to start. And I'm not sure how i can make these monkeys like it... shiny, hurr durr. In their defense though, shiny means stainless, and stainless means that part of it will last a while.

I want to start a company. Long-life independent or something. Problem is, since about the 80s, they discovered people will buy it if it is cheap, and if its poorly made, they will buy it again.

All i want in my life is stuff that i can use to further society (lacking better term). A mech/wood shop, a lab, a computer, a small house attached to it, and a few recreational things... Mini-skatepark, dunebuggy which I made myself, etc.

Spend half my day inventing, the other half doing cool stuff. Maybe make the house bigger and sum buds live there or something.

Now, how do I get the money together to make a company, eh? This brain is only so big

While I have plenty far to go in this department, really feeling peaceful and content and happy about money (and in general) is the key. Doing rituals, meditating, and any else to make you feel good can all contribute to one's finances in the long run.

In the short run, having little money is a huge blessing. I had passed the hat to family members to lend me money for some business ideas and they wisely refused to invest in my little enterprises as they knew that I didn't have the necessary business maturity and also recognized that just having a bit of cash was the more appropriate and safer situation than going into weird family debt which would have upped the stakes considerably.

As spiritual cultivators, we are extremely sensitive types and can sometimes have a time of it when it comes to fitting in with the business world, so take it all with a grain of salt and be sure to have fun with the process.

Yeah, the business world is insane. I've noticed that.

When it comes down to it, I just wanna see a world where people only have to work like 4 hours a day to get by comfortably, and with enough free time to do anything. Its entirely possible, though I can't imagine these deranged monkeys ever becoming sensible enough, to have 4 hours of work, and spend the rest of the day doing stuff like bowling and playing pool.

Frankly, after all the time I put into unraveling this world, I figure i could figure out anything. 'Cept computer language and second language.

I dunno. I'm on a completely different wavelength then the world I think. I was quite young when I discovered If it ain't perfect, there's always an answer", and this is always true. Just isn't always obvious.

Pleasure doesn't get in the way of peace. At least not in principle.

Anyways, half of our unrest is simply because we work too hard for too little. Yin and yang man. It's only half ourselves. I've proven that we ain't getting nothin' for our buck.

"The military (hurr durr) makes guns which last 50,000 rounds before decommission, yet we cant build a fridge that lasts 30 years like those in the 60s? "

Actually the military did make a fridge that lasted 30 years but it had to be destroyed. :( It kept shooting people :).

I just saw a great show on Discovery about a man who's been making off the grid homes for the past 25 years. He uses solar, thermal, wind, garbage power to create incredible homes. He's the kind of person you might want to use as a model.

Good book 'The 4 Hour Work Week' by Tim Fenriss should be on your reading list. Google him, he's got a good blog.

You can't change the world, but you can create your own world thats a little better and maybe the big world comes by, takes a peek and decides it likes what you've created. Thats how it works for the little guy.

Michael

Sign in to follow this