Sign in to follow this  
chrisjswanson

Authentic I Ching Info ? Can Beginners use this book?

So I was recently told that I may not be getting good results from my I Ching.

I was just wondering about others' opinions:

How much benefit is this book to a beginner?

Can the I Ching teach one to become more developed?

Where can one learn to best understand what the implications are behind the I Ching?

Any suggestions on guidelines for interpretation?

peace + love

Chris

Use the search function on this site and read everything Taomeow has written about the I Ching.

hey man-- I'm actually studying the I Ching for university credit. I'll be aiming to deliver a lecture, and to write a paper for publishment (through our schools 'confucius institute',) this fall.

I have noticed a significant improvement in my readings since I picked up Alfred Huangs 'Complete I Ching'. ..I could never really fully understand wilhelms translations, and before that I was using 'the i ching work book' by RL Wing. ..It was amazing to notice the diffrence in my readings after improving my literature source.

-Also, just learning how to 'read' the i ching is an incredible learning process initself. You really have to seperate your objective understanding from your subjective wants and desires.. which may be very well impossible for alot of people. It's too easy to see 'what you want to see' and then not realize your mistake until later.

Also, I am learning that I cannot make 'predictions'. If I get something, say 'exhausting' last night, that morphs into 'dispersion'... well... I might have a slight understanding, but I still can't realize the full significance of the reading until the situations actively unfold themselves into the present ..This might make the i chign seem worthless-- but it is invaluable to you that you understand 'the present' as completely as possible. ..Also, with practice, I am sure that I will only cultivate deeper understanding.

I don't know if the I Ching can 'make you more developed'. I am not even sure in what sense you mean. ...but, if you think that using the i ching to understand 'the present' can help you be a better person, then yes. you know confucius' famous saying, 'if I had 50 more years to live, i would dedicate that time to studying the i ching, and thus become without fault.'

If you want to begin studying the 'metaphysical implications of the i ching' first pick up alfred huang's "numerology of the i ching", and then 'the tao of chaos' (by katya walters, I think..)

those two books have proven the most valuable in my current study. ..and Ive gone through a few books...

Sign in to follow this