mentalground0

buddhist forums

Rice milk or Almond milk is wonderful. As I am lactose intolerant too.

I agree..almond milk is especially good!

Nightwatchdog, well said on your part. Milk and eggs are very nourishing. However I'm severely lactose intolerant and eggs (very high in sulphur) cause painful digestion. So I've had to make some very real decisions regarding my nutrition. Soy is not an option, the only thing left is powdered pea protein. That isn't an option either. Check the links (in full) that i'm going to post in "Honest Food Discussion". Feel free to chime in.............................On a side note, great pic for your avatar, Hsing-i (Xingyi) Drilling punch right? (looks like it.) Pretty cool,nontheless. Take care. :)

I'm curious why you say soy is not an option. But any legume has huge amounts of protein in it. Here is an interesting list on high protein foods from a great website Nutrition Data

On another note, the Weston Price people are known all over for having very unreliable facts in their studies. Even most people that argue against vegetarianism won't use them for reference.

Buddhists are not necessarily vegetarian, for instance only ordained Tibetan Buddhist monks are - eveyone else eats meat.

My meditation teacher has been a monk in the Tibetan tradition and he told me they eat meat and at higher stages of practice often quite a lot to help with grounding. The Dalai Lama eats meat altough he tries to eat mostly big animals so that fewer animal lives are taken to provide him food:)

Dharma overground is a small and extreemly practice oriented and extreemly usefull forum run by daniel ingram. Highly recomended

Edited by markern

Here is an interesting take on Weston Price:

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/general-med...elsewhere/32629

That's actually a nicer article than some I've seen on them.

My meditation teacher has been a monk in the Tibetan tradition and he told me they eat meat and at higher stages of practice often quite a lot to help with grounding. The Dalai Lama eats meat altough he tries to eat mostly big animals so that fewer animal lives are taken to provide him food:)

Dharma overground is a small and extreemly practice oriented and extreemly usefull forum run by daniel ingram. Highly recomended

"In the mid 1960s, the Dalai Lama was impressed by ethically vegetarian Indian monks and adopted a vegetarian diet for about a year and a half. Apparently he consumed primarily nuts and milk. Unfortunately, he contracted Hepatitis B and his liver was seriously damaged. For health reasons, he was advised by his personal physicians to consume meat. While he has eaten meat in moderation ever since, the Dalai Lama has repeatedly acknowledged that a vegetarian diet is a worthy expression of compassion and contributes to the cessation of the suffering of all living beings. However, he eats meat only on alternate days (six months a year). He is a semi-vegetarian, though he wishes to be a full one. By making an example of cutting his meat consumption in half, he is trying to gently influence his followers. "

Also, what exactly is "grounding" in the buddhist sense? I'll admit I don't know much about the Tibetan side of things, but I can't find it referred to anywhere.

That's actually a nicer article than some I've seen on them.

"In the mid 1960s, the Dalai Lama was impressed by ethically vegetarian Indian monks and adopted a vegetarian diet for about a year and a half. Apparently he consumed primarily nuts and milk. Unfortunately, he contracted Hepatitis B and his liver was seriously damaged. For health reasons, he was advised by his personal physicians to consume meat. While he has eaten meat in moderation ever since, the Dalai Lama has repeatedly acknowledged that a vegetarian diet is a worthy expression of compassion and contributes to the cessation of the suffering of all living beings. However, he eats meat only on alternate days (six months a year). He is a semi-vegetarian, though he wishes to be a full one. By making an example of cutting his meat consumption in half, he is trying to gently influence his followers. "

Also, what exactly is "grounding" in the buddhist sense? I'll admit I don't know much about the Tibetan side of things, but I can't find it referred to anywhere.

Interesting!

I don`t know if there is anything different about budhist grounding. My teacher said though that in indian ashrams they buidl a higher vibration through somewhat different means than in Tibet one of which is through a vegetarian diet. Other than that he seems to think of grounding energeticly in the same sense as taoists an uses a lot of taoist and qigong methods himself, however he is much much more into grounding through wisdom and psychology than I usualy see most other teachers are. If you are fearfull your energy goes up tpwards the head and if you have problems facing life as it is you also escape up into your head and bring the energy with you there, If you build your core muscles you get more in touch with the core of your being emotionaly but if you get in touch with the core of your being emotionaly by other means it will also help ground you despite having poor core muscles etc. Makes a lot of sense to aproach stuff this way as well I think.

Edited by markern