Sign in to follow this  
wudangquan

Best Taoist Texts For Newcomers/Your Favorites?

I am making a free Audio Book series of classic Taoist texts that I have been giving away to people.

Basically the idea is that I am recording these for myself, because I can listen to them when I'm stuck in a traffic jam while riding a bus here in China, or walking, or whatever.

I've found that they've been very helpful to me, so I decided to give the recordings to people in hopes that they can get some value as well.

Anyway, the texts that I have recorded already and am giving away are:

• Chi Wen Dong - The Red Streaked Cave
  • The Pivot Of Jade
  • The Hsin Yin Ching - Imprint Of The Heart
  • Ching Jing Jing - Purity And Rest
  • Tai Hsi Ching - Respiration Of The Embryo
  • Universal Understanding

Tonight I'll probably do Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu as well and add those to the list, but haven't yet because they are alot longer.

Anyway, I want to help myself, and help other people and I would like your input.

What is your favorite classic Taoist text?

Thanks for your help

Jonathan

Trunk,

If they are available online, you should link your site up to them!

Yoda

What is your favorite classic Taoist text?

Jonathan

The scripture of forty nine chapters by the Jade Emporer

This is the best taoist text i've ever read. It provides a guide as to how one should be aware of ones' self, and what one shoud focus on.

These days it seems some people anyway think daoism is all about obtaining powers and and becoming some superman of sorts.

The scripture of forty nine chapters is a reminder of the upright path of natural virtue and freedom from delusions of greed, a definition of what is true power, an indicationof how and why afflictions arise, and of the ulitmate returning to the one (non-dual)

http://www.xiulian.cn/WORLD/0018.html

Edited by mat black

The only classical taoist text that I've read is "Tao Te Ching" but I've recently purchased "Chuang Tzu" which I'm looking forward to reading. So unfortuantely I'm of no help with suggestions because I haven't read that much but as Yoda said, I also think this is an awesome project. One of my friends has done the same thing that you're doing now, he burns a bunch of copies of his favorite audio books and gives them away to people, he gave me one of Wayne Dyes that I still haven't listened too.

I curious to see what people here have to say about this though, obviously stealing is wrong but giving away copies of audio books doesn't hurt anyone (at least I don't think so) so is it still wrong. This is a question I've struggled with for a while!! I'm 28 so I grew up in the era of everybody downloads music and movies and I still do but over the past year I've been thinking about a lot of my actions more carefully. I'm kind of at a 50/50, it's obviously wrong to steal but this way I get exposed to a wider range of electronic entertainment which for the artist and corporations is free advertising. There are a lot of things I would have never purchased if I hadn't downloaded them for free first!

Let me know what you think!

Edited by EagerMind

Sign in to follow this