ChiDragon

Am I practicing Qigong or Neigong?

Posted (edited)

I have noticed that many people are throwing the terms of Qigong and Neigong in and out from left to right. However, what is the difference between these two terms? Here is the way that I understand them. Qigong is a method of breathing that we practice. Neigong is the internal strength that has to be acquired from Qigong or martial arts. BTW Neigong can be acquired from any kind of martial arts. The purpose to acquire the internal strength  is to build up the body strength for self defense. Neigong cannot be acquired by just practicing martial arts without Qigong breathing. For that said, to practice any method of martial arts cannot neglect to incorporate the Qigong breathing. By following the guideline, the practice has included the combination of martial arts, Qigong and Neigong simultaneously.  Thus the practitioner actually is killing three birds with one stone. So to speak!

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

The way I understand it is that neigong is creating, refining or transmuting qi, while qigong is moving qi around the body through breath, intention and movement.

As long breathing is involved, you are there! That is the only criteria is important. Describe it anyway you would like nothing could go wrong. Good show!

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 2:53 PM, ChiDragon said:

Qigong is a method of breathing that we practice.

Neigong is the internal strength that has to be acquired from Qigong or martial arts.

In my understanding, the modern day term 'qigong' is a term adopted in Communist China when the Chinese government began to strongly control what would and would not be allowed in regards to traditional Chinese beliefs and practices, and in regards to how the Chinese communist government wanted to control how Chinese people think about those practices. That's not to say that the term 'qigong' was necessarily not ever used prior to that time period, but I believe the term was at least not in common usage prior to communism taking hold in China. In the rigid Chinese communist government promoted terms, 'qigong' was to be thought of as a kind of healthy 'breathwork' and/or calisthenics like exercises. 

Of course anyone who has real experience with qi and qi cultivation would likely be aware that qi and qi cultivation does not  necessarily at all need to rely on any special breathing or air or any special body postures or movements.  There are various types of qi, and various ways of developing and working with qi. Special breathing is not a requirement in qi cultivation, although some practices do use it or even emphasize it.  

In regards to neigong, my understanding is that, yes, this term does come from martial arts traditions in China, and was focused on developing internal power in martial arts. Whether other traditions such as religious traditions also used the term of 'neigong' completely separate from martial arts training, I don't know. Neigong in my understanding was more associated with practices that are designed to develop 'above normal' martial arts skills and abilities. However, one might also be able to use abilities and skills developed from neigong training for healing or health promotion purposes, as well. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Iskote said:

In my understanding, the modern day term 'qigong' is a term adopted in Communist China when the Chinese government began to strongly control what would and would not be allowed in regards to traditional Chinese beliefs and practices, and in regards to how the Chinese communist government wanted to control how Chinese people think about those practices.

Yes correct and they banned internal martial arts, burned down monasteries and temples, killed monks, removed a lot of stuff from TCM and blended it with Western Medicine rendering it to almost being useless.

Second strike: practices like Taijiquan were stripped down into easier to perform forms (shorter), eg. Beijing 24 of the Yang style. 

Many of the old masters fled to neighbouring Taiwan and America so they could practice the old way peacefully without being harassed or murdered by the Red Guards.

Most modern Qigong forms were developed by the Communists. Go figure about their effectivity. 

3 hours ago, Iskote said:

In regards to neigong, my understanding is that, yes, this term does come from martial arts traditions in China, and was focused on developing internal power in martial arts. 

Yes, linked to the Neijia arts and their connection to Taoist science and TCM medical theory. Deep work.

When I first attended Ba Gua lessons with my teacher he told me very clearly: you'll find out what neigong really means with circle walking and the Eight Mother Palms practice. 

• Like 3

Neigong and Qigong are "recent" terms.  Neigong appeared in 1932, while Qigong was 1953 only. 

It is very interesting the term Neigong was coined by one of the greatest novelist in China, the Owner of the Returning Pearl Villa.   He wrote at least 40 millions words from 1930 to 1960.  His most famous novels were about Swords Immortals, with significant descriptions of Taoist/Buddhist/Evil cultivation practices.   It is actually very good for cultivators to read his books apart from entertainment value.    This term was further made popular by another Kung Fu novelist Jin Rong.  He was the most famous one and his books are translated in different languages.   Neigong is generally defined to be a supplementary strengthening system for external martial arts.  Buddhist Shaolin boxing is regarded as External Martial Arts and Taoist Kung Fu as internal.

As to Qigong, it was first used in 1953 in a Chi Kung Health Restoration institute.   This term was then used by the government for all related activities.   During those period, it was quite restrictively conceived as breathing exercises and exercises with managed breathing.  It was only later when mind aspects are included.   Qigong sometimes are defined to include Yoga, meditation, chanting, some Tibetan practices, Neidan etc.  So it is quite generic that everything is Qigong.   When someone asks me what do I exercise, it is simple to say QG which everyone thinks they understand. 

Nowadays people define both according to their own understandings or marketing considerations.   Neigong still has a martial bias.  But in most cases, Neigong can be treated same as Qigong as they are very similar in practice and frequently having the same exercises.

• Like 6

The practices are important, the names less so.  Focusing on the labels can lead us astray.  It is the content of the jar which nourishes and sustains, not the exterior design.  Breathing in and out, we are centered and rooted.  Stick to the principles and all will be well.  Walk your own path and seek your truth along the way.  As the old magician told me, The art is in the doing!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Iskote said:

In my understanding, the modern day term 'qigong' is a term adopted in Communist China when the Chinese government began to strongly control what would and would not be allowed in regards to traditional Chinese beliefs and practices, and in regards to how the Chinese communist government wanted to control how Chinese people think about those practices. That's not to say that the term 'qigong' was necessarily not ever used prior to that time period, but I believe the term was at least not in common usage prior to communism taking hold in China.

I don't why people would bring politics into martial arts. It is very misleading. FYI Qigong(氣功) has existed for a long time but it was called 吐納(Tu Na). It is an esoteric term for the special Taoist breathing method and is different from regular breathing. It was practiced to acquire alchemy.

The modern term Qigong means breathing method that is easier for people to understand. Some natives and westerners having difficulty to grasp the whole meaning of Qigong by creating their own definitions.  Hence, it created a vast confusion in the world of martial arts.

Edited by ChiDragon

1 hour ago, Taiji Rebel said:

The practices are important, the names less so.  Focusing on the labels can lead us astray.  It is the content of the jar which nourishes and sustains, not the exterior design.  Breathing in and out, we are centered and rooted.  Stick to the principles and all will be well.  Walk your own path and seek your truth along the way.  As the old magician told me, The art is in the doing!

Of course,  practice is important. However, It is better to know what is being practiced. Understanding the method to know what and how is also important too. Otherwise, it would be a waste of time or have not accomplish the goal as intended. For example, to practice Qigong is to practice how to breathe in a special way as defined by Tu Na. Otherwise, it is not Qigong as one would think as what that was. You might say practicing Qigong all your life without really know the basic principles and accomplished nothing or as intended.