RedFox

Hindu Squats

It looks easy enough, until you get out of your chair and do more than a few in a row.  At just 25 reps I stopped and took measure.  In addition to the aerobic workout, my quads felt like they had done quite a bit more work than was obvious.  I think this one's gonna stay in my program for a while to see what happens.  Decided to order Furey's Combat Conditioning book as well.

Well, after two weeks, I'd have to say I'm still impressed with this exercise. After the initial soreness wore off, I went a little gung ho and started doing 200-300/day in sets of 25/50. That was a bit too much too soon, because I ended up with some very tight quad tendons that hurt at the knee and were tough to stretch back out. So I started doing just one or two sets a day.

I have noticed that to my surprise it seems to be developing the medial and lateral muscles (groin/outer quads/IT Band) as well. I wasn't sure why at first, because you're not abducting or adducting, but my guess is from my occasional wavering that those muscles are quite engaged in maintaining balance.

Just got back from a long road trip and had a couple interesting experiences with them. On the way out, after a few hrs I stopped at a gas station in Jersey and got out to pump off a few rounds to get the blood flowing again. Out in the dark I hear "Oh, that is very good exercise. Hard on the knees though." When I turn around, i see the gas station attendant is an Indian (hindu!) My knees still hurt at that point but I knew I'd overdone it.

Today on the drive back, I got out at a rest stop and did 75 in a row. I probably could've done a couple more but that was 12 more than I had last maxed out at, so I figured, why push it. I was all happy when I popped off the last one, and looking straight ahead I caught the eyes of a trucker walking by. I intended to walk off the tightness that usually ensues, but as soon as I lifted my leg to take a step, the other one gave out and I fell right back down into a crouch. So much for looking cool in that moment! Was a good laugh!

Furey's book arrived in the mail today, so I havea pretty good idea what tomorrow's practice will be. :)

i started with five hindu squats just to show my body what i wanted it to do. and five hindu pushups. then i added five squats a day nd one-3 pushups. now i do 40 hindu squats every morning. this is of course after i've done over a hundred squats of varying depth during my MO practice and before i do my regualr cycling. so i dont wanna overdo it. pobably add 5 a week fron here on.

for the hindu push ups i'm only doing 16 a day right now. they turned out to be harder than i thought. especially on the deltoids. don't work the pecs much though.

as for the superman rollouts, i have not yey been able to do even one! i can do 6 halves, or 6 two-thirds. jesus they're hard!

i also added wall walking since i dont have a padded floor or mat to do wrestler's bridges on. the yoga mats here are really thin and don't give quite enough padding on concrete and tile floors. the wall walking is awesome though. cant get all the way down yet, but it's good. i come copletely off the wall aftter each climb and feel this real pull in te back of the legs. been great for releasing kinks in the back and posture.

I haven't done hindu squats in awhile, but wanted to try Tripp's idea and tired out at one hundred, but it was extremely nice to forget about counting. When I did them often, I'd use one of those clicker counters.

Then I got inspired to climb up on my two story roof for some repair work, when I realized that I had sewing machine legs! Fortunately, I soldiered through, but it wasn't the brightest idea I've ever hatched.

-Yoda

ok i know the thread is squats but it seems like a good place to talk about the royal court and other such things..... as it sort of is anyway.

i remeber reading somewhere on here about a little contraversy about resting your forhead or not in the bridge....

can anyone point the way or post what you know here?

another thing is i am wondering if anyone has tried going in reverse in the pushups?

head, chest, belly going down/ belly, chest, head going up? thats how ive always known em'

harder that way.

I can't rest my forehead in the bridge, so the point is moot for me! -Y

Well, after hearing many of you mention it enough, and developing a desire for exercises anywhere I happen to be, I finally got curious enough and checked out for myself what a Hindu Squat was.  I mean, if it's good enough for Master Yoda..  :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

It looks easy enough, until you get out of your chair and do more than a few in a row.  At just 25 reps I stopped and took measure.  In addition to the aerobic workout, my quads felt like they had done quite a bit more work than was obvious.  I think this one's gonna stay in my program for a while to see what happens.  Decided to order Furey's Combat Conditioning book as well.

3935[/snapback]

Well, it's been a couple months now, thought I'd post an update on the experiment.

I've branched out slightly with other CC exercises, but the hindu squat remains my focus. I've gotten 200 of them twice now, which is pretty cool. The funny thing ws, I got stuck at 130 for a long time. I'd hit a wall at about 75, power thru that, then get up to 120-130 and just lose all steam. I was still stuck there at Dao Mountain when I met someone who'd met a guy who holds a bunch of Guiness World records, who'd told him, essentially, that physically you're only gonna go so far anyway; after that, it's whatever version of "letting go and letting God" that you subscribe to.

Maybe I have a mental block about it, I figured, so the next morning I got up believing I could do 200, and did. Couldn't walk much for a while afterwards, and developed some quad tightness and some very loud knee popping of the patella that I had to stretch out for a couple days later. But it did work. I've decided to add increments only when I've stabilized for a week at a given number of reps, though. I'd really prefer my tendons and joints be able to keep up with my mind!

Physically I feel great for doing it. Lugging things around is a lot easier. My thighs have trimmed up quite a bit, rather than bulked up as they always do when I use weights. And it's really cool when I stop driving at rest areas and practice in the grass. There are apparently more people doing this than I would've guessed, I get a lot more honks, waves, and thumbs up than I would've expected.

Quick question - does anybody have any experience with his other books/exercises?

Well, it's been a couple months now, thought I'd post an update on the experiment.

I've branched out slightly with other CC exercises, but the hindu squat remains my focus.  I've gotten 200 of them twice now, which is pretty cool.  The funny thing ws, I got stuck at 130 for a long time.  I'd hit a wall at about 75, power thru that,  then get up to 120-130 and just lose all steam.  I was still stuck there at Dao Mountain when I met someone who'd met a guy who holds a bunch of Guiness World records, who'd told him, essentially, that physically you're only gonna go so far anyway; after that, it's whatever version of "letting go and letting God" that you subscribe to. 

Maybe I have a mental block about it, I figured, so the next morning I got up believing I could do 200, and did.  Couldn't walk much for a while afterwards, and developed some quad tightness and some very loud knee popping of the patella that I had to stretch out for a couple days later.  But it did work.  I've decided to add increments only when I've stabilized for a week at a given number of reps, though.  I'd really prefer my tendons and joints be able to keep up with my mind!

Physically I feel great for doing it.  Lugging things around is a lot easier.  My thighs have trimmed up quite a bit, rather than bulked up as they always do when I use weights.  And it's really cool when I stop driving at rest areas and practice in the grass.  There are apparently more people doing this than I would've guessed, I get a lot more honks, waves, and thumbs up than I would've expected.

Quick question - does anybody have any experience with his other books/exercises?

5798[/snapback]

I would check these out...

http://sfuk.tripod.com/reviews/enamait_warrior1.html

this forum has interesting things to say about the various body weight teachers out there and they arn't afraid to hold back on what they think....

http://www.frixo.com/sites/fitness/forum/f...opics.asp?FID=2

from what i have seen of various products i tend to agree with them....give it a browse.