I keep on encountering books about Subud and recently saw a podcast where Dr. Lawrence Blair (the man who made the Ring of Fire documentary) was saying that he started off learning Subud, which was why he went to Indonesia to do research and eventually live there.

Is anyone on here a member of Subud or know anything about it? From what I’ve found out their latihan practice is like a form of spontaneous qigong. There are some places near me that practice it but I want to find out more information before checking it out.

When I saw the topic I got a flash back  to  ......   when was that ?  It was when I first read about it  ... maybe in the late 70s ... and not heard anything since .

• Like 1

I was interested in this too, a while back, but didn't wind up following up with it mostly because the location was a bit far from me. I don't think they just allow you to show up (at least for the latihan part), and ask you to do some background reading for awhile to make sure you're really interested in it before you can experience it. I think it is based on a sort of chain of transmission going back to the founder, Bapak. At least as of a few years ago there was a YouTube channel where some of the old timers shared their experiences with the organization.

The musician Roger McGuinn (of The Byrds) was associated with the practice in the 60s before finding Jesus. The author J.G. Bennett was also involved and wrote a book about it. Some say President Barack Obama's mom may have been associated with them, which freaked out some fundamentalist evangelicals.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

I keep on encountering books about Subud and recently saw a podcast where Dr. Lawrence Blair (the man who made the Ring of Fire documentary) was saying that he started off learning Subud, which was why he went to Indonesia to do research and eventually live there.

Is anyone on here a member of Subud or know anything about it? From what I’ve found out their latihan practice is like a form of spontaneous qigong. There are some places near me that practice it but I want to find out more information before checking it out.

I did communicate with a Subud member, perhaps decades ago.   I forgot what was the occasions.   That guy said he had remote viewing abilities.

Since you are here, I have 2 questions.   How is the Sufi doing in Indonesia?  and Is the water table in Indonesia/Java very high - i.e. when you stand on grass, your shoes got soaked ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Master Logray said:

I did communicate with a Subud member, perhaps decades ago.   I forgot what was the occasions.   That guy said he had remote viewing abilities.

Very interesting. Maybe I will check them out. 

Since you are here, I have 2 questions.   How is the Sufi doing in Indonesia?  and Is the water table in Indonesia/Java very high - i.e. when you stand on grass, your shoes got soaked ?

I’ve been living in Europe for the last 3 years but there is still a big Sufi tradition in Indonesia. In London I met with Sheikh Muhammad who is relatively well known on here. There are probably many more like him all around Indonesia. In the last decade when I went to visit there I went to a few Sufi tombs and sites which are still well maintained and full of pilgrims. I’ll be going again this summer and will try to visit the tombs again. 

Your shoes will be fine in Indonesia when you stand on grass, unless you are near rice paddies or mangrove areas. I would say the ground is usually quite dry. 

Edited by -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ-
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this