Sign in to follow this  
Sanity Check

Motives

I'm questioning my motives.

I look @ the world and want to see everyone healthy, happy and doing well for themselves.

I want progress to be made which will elevate quality of life and standard of living for everyone.

I encourage people to learn and gain knowledge which will allow them to make smarter choices which they can feel better about.

Everyday we have a choice: make things better or make things worse. (Why not make things better for once?)

Recently, I began thinking my worldview is too simple and must evolve.

Perhaps progress can have negative effects as well as positive ones.

I thought progress was the most important thing for people but am now questioning this.

The most important thing could be that we care about things and not allow ourselves to become apathetic indifferent bystanders. (Which is more or less what most of us have become @ this point)

Progress appears to have empowered apathetic behavior, which is bad for society.

It is also questionable as to whether progress has a legitimate trickle down effect where it is equally distributed.

Long story short, it seems that the world has become disillusioned with promises of scientific and technological progress.

It has led to many becoming complacent and devoid of personal goals or spiritual growth.

How can we reclaim our lives and start to care about things again?

5 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Everyday we have a choice: make things better or make things worse. (Why not make things better for once?)

Recently, I began thinking my worldview is too simple and must evolve.

Either or thinking has seldom been helpful in my life.  So I agree with your take on it being overly simplistic.

Assuming we can assess the world in such a way that allows us to make decisions that will result in life being better for everyone around us has also revealed itself to be unrealistic in my own life.  The projections and assumptions I make based on my personal interpretation of life is based entirely on my conditioning and shadowed biases and may have disastrous unforseeable consequences in the lives of others.

As such, I strive to be kind, which doesn't always mean being 'nice'... but more than that, I no longer assume I know, or can know what's best for another and tend to not interfere unless specifically asked to, and even then, minimal response. 

Change the universe by working on one's own awareness and actions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

How can we reclaim our lives and start to care about things again?

I think the question contains the answer. 

We reclaim our lives by starting to care about things.  Preferably things under our control.  

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this