Maddie

6 minutes ago, Maddie said:

What I mean by just mind is I feel like a lot of the attributes other traditions ascribed to soul or a spirit Buddhism ascribes to the mind. Just mind as opposed to a soul or a spirit.

Sort of like:

Shitou’s Record (Sekito Kisen, eighth century) (translated by Francis Cook)

You must realize that the substance of your own mind is beyond annihilation and eternity, and its nature is beyond purity and impurity. Deep and complete, it is the same in sages and ordinary people. It responds freely, and differs from ordinary (dualistic) mind in its various functions. The triple world and the six paths (of samsara) appear spontaneously as nothing but Mind. How can the reflection of the moon in water, or the shapes reflected in a mirror, originate or cease to be? If you can understand this, there is nothing you lack.

(All Buddhas and All Living Beings are Just This One Mind Teachings of the Buddhas and Zen Ancestors on Buddha Nature, Empty Awareness, and Nonduality Compiled by Kokyo Henkel)

• Like 1

Could most or many of the "mind" related sayings be another way for the historic Buddha to establish a new special interest  group (of monks and a few nuns?) per what he said for certain benefits and for what in effect gave him some  power to more or less nix other teachings (which he is recorded doing) that might pull students away from him?  Sure sounds like it to me since there is really no difference's in this stuff after a certain point.  (although many human beings absolutely insist there is)

Edited by old3bob

Is our universe built to allow dysfunctional individuals who inflict harm on others, to thrive and prosper?

Generally, I think the answer is: no. 

Inflicting harm accumulates negative karma to maintain justice and order in society. Whether for the good or bad done unto others, people eventually reap what they sow.

Although, I wonder if there might be some exceptions. Pre covid most of us have been extremely lucky to live in an era of relative peace and harmony. But that facade of law and order comes at a cost. In terms of those maintaining the peace getting away with more than their fair share of evil deeds. At least temporarily.