Owledge

Has there ever been a movie portraying a society without lies??

15 minutes ago, kakapo said:

I actually want to live in a society where I can verify the claims of another person as true, and I don't have to accept on faith they are being honest. 

It is not a good sign that you are simply repeating yourself when facing fresh impulses. That is expression of being trapped.

BTW, you are already living in that world you describe in the quoted sentence, blind one. It has always existed.

15 minutes ago, Owledge said:

It is not a good sign that you are simply repeating yourself when facing fresh impulses. That is expression of being trapped.

BTW, you are already living in that world you describe in the quoted sentence, blind one. It has always existed.

Certain people may have such a Siddhhi,  I don't think it's something most people have.

I do not have such a Siddhi.

24 minutes ago, kakapo said:

Certain people may have such a Siddhhi,  I don't think it's something most people have.

I do not have such a Siddhi.

Now it is getting outright silly to call that a Siddhi. Get your 'magical thinking' stuff out of the way. Englightenment begins at the basics. The most common reason for not being able to spot BS is a deliberate choice to not care about it enough to put in the effort.

Same reason why police want to use mass surveillance. Such a convenient externalized power tool.

Basically: 'I am just not good at being human, so everybody should be hooked into the Borg collective.'

9 minutes ago, Owledge said:

Now it is getting outright silly to call that a Siddhi. Get your 'magical thinking' stuff out of the way. Englightenment begins at the basics. The most common reason for not being able to spot BS is a deliberate choice to not care about it enough to put in the effort.

Same reason why police want to use mass surveillance. Such a convenient externalized power tool.

Basically: 'I am just not good at being human, so everybody should be hooked into the Borg collective.'

You certainly are welcome to see things that way. 

Con artists are a thing, and most people never notice they were deceived until after they lost their money.

I want to live in a society where I can have an AI guardian.

To be honest I would like to be as independent as possible, producing all my own food, energy, etc. 

I would prefer not to interact with other people, let my AI act as a liaison or intermediary. 

I would prefer to live in a collective with other people, and we could use AI to verify that all communications were the truth.

Our society is overrun with lies and deception. 

I think it would be amazing if I could prove via technology what I was claiming was true. 

I think it would be amazing if this technology was so common place that anyone else could use it. 

I wouldn't want to deal with people who refused to prove their honesty. 

You see this as dystopian, I see it as necessary to correct some fundamental flaws in our society, and psychology and perhaps genetics.

5 minutes ago, kakapo said:

… I would prefer not to interact with other people, let my AI act as a liaison or intermediary. …

Lol, you remind me of Sheldon 

1 minute ago, Cobie said:

Lol, you remind me of Sheldon 

Sorry i meant no direct interaction.

I would like the AI to act as a filter for me.

@kakapo Righto. I prefer a world without AI, but each to their own. :) 

Edited by Cobie

Just now, Cobie said:

@kakapo Righto. I still prefer a world without AI, but each to their own. :)

Hopefully we can all live in the environment we want in the future.

6 minutes ago, kakapo said:

Hopefully we can all live in the environment we want in the future.

In the future I will not be here. :) 

Edited by Cobie

Ursula K. Leguin wrote a book entitled The Left Hand of Darkness.

Which contained a short story about a civilization that learned to communicate telepathically. 

While using telepathy they were incapable of lying. They used this as a foundation to build a utopian society.

What happened? 

They were invaded by an alien race that could lie through telepathy & were completely caught by surprise.

Edited by Sanity Check
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Ursula K. Leguin wrote a book entitled The Left Hand of Darkness.

Which contained a short story about a civilization that learned to communicate telepathically. 

While using telepathy they were incapable of lying. They used this as a foundation to build a utopian society.

What happened? 

They were invaded by an alien race that could lie through telepathy & were completely caught by surprise.

Seems like a dumb writing approach, though, because they would still know what lying is and be especially skeptical towards an alien species. History is a thing. Especially when being proud of the achievement of telepathy, they would be aware of the contrast. Even more so if lying is still possible through acoustic communication.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1