NaturaNaturans

The concept of God

suggest the Chandogya Upanishad fyi.  (one has to take into account all the Vedic related context yet its pointers are really on if one reads the whole text) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nungali said:

...those are the greek roots of the word.  The concept of "god" has not been only limited to greek culture, it has been spread throughout the world in different languages.  The hindus call it "the absolute", the taoists call it "the tao", the Islams call it "Allah", magicians call it "the divine" 

What they all have in common is not the term used to decribe it but the general nature of it - itself.  Why is this so hard to understand?  

If you can't read through the lines by doing intellectual inquiry into philosophy, perhaps you're not ready to understand these things.  

They all ascribe that it is boundless, formless, and everywhere - because it is.  It is the cause of existence - permanent and unchanging, and manages existence.  The taoists say it in a cool way ' "The great tao is hidden deeply in all things".  it's not observable through modern physical science, a person has to reach it themself through spiritual practice.  Which is what all the eastern traditions espouse.  

• Like 1

Oh really ? 

On 18/12/2023 at 4:03 AM, Jadespear said:

...those are the greek roots of the word.

There is no Greek there  ; I showed the PIE origin then Latin French and English

The concept of "god" has not been only limited to greek culture, it has been spread throughout the world in different languages.

So, you are going to run with this non-existant Greek you say I cited  as a point of argument against what I said ?  Even so , why  think that I would think God was only known to Greek culture ?    All of a sudden Nungali , (who you have been reading here for years , I know as  you often respond to me like this ) who is clearly an eclectic and has studied many philosophies and religons , that i have often written about here .... all of a sudden I think that God is onoly limited to Greek culture  ... or for some reason , you thought to inform me that God as a concept exists in other cultures than Greek ... evcen though I never cited anything as Greek ,  its just a weird projection you put on me .

Curious .

The hindus call it "the absolute", the taoists call it "the tao", the Islams call it "Allah", magicians call it "the divine" 

So now the Tao means 'God'   .....    and 'magicians' call it  'the divine' do they ? Is that becasue magicians never  call God simply God ?   I think its time to ask you

what on earth are you talking about   ... and  'at '  me for  ?

What they all have in common is not the term used to decribe it but the general nature of it - itself.  Why is this so hard to understand?  

So now I need to be inform,ed that different languages have different words for the same concept ?   And now you are claiming others find this hard to understand  ?    I might ask you why what I wrote was so hard for you to understand and caused such a  strange response ?

If you can't read through the lines by doing intellectual inquiry into philosophy, perhaps you're not ready to understand these things.  

Yes, no doubt all of this, yet again, is due to my inability to understand

:D

They all ascribe that it is boundless, formless, and everywhere - because it is.

I see ... all of them do that  .... like the ones that believe that God took form in Jesus and incarnated ?  I would suggest you actually study some comparative religion  but I know that would be a waste of time as you already 'know' so much about it all .

It is the cause of existence - permanent and unchanging, and manages existence.  The taoists say it in a cool way ' "The great tao is hidden deeply in all things".  it's not observable through modern physical science, a person has to reach it themself through spiritual practice.  Which is what all the eastern traditions espouse.  

Okay thanks, I shall consider myself lectured to  and educated by ' one  who knows ' .

:rolleyes:

However I seed Daniel 'likes'  the mess you made of this   though .     :D 

Edited by Nungali

what they all don't have in common is a very great deal !

New Age stuff does not cut it even if it means well.

• Like 1

Now now old3bob  ....   at least 'new age stuff' allows people with no experience, study or tradition to  become 'enlightened'  about their  own opinion -   as they just 'know'  stuff  .... amazing ! 

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Now now old3bob  ....   at least 'new age stuff' allows people with no experience, study or tradition to  become 'enlightened'  about their  own opinion -   as they just 'know'  stuff  .... amazing ! 

well some place for some folks to start could lead to who knows where?   I read a fair amount of Edgar Cayce long ago but never really took to him being an unconscious medium...

19 hours ago, old3bob said:

well some place for some folks to start could lead to who knows where?   I read a fair amount of Edgar Cayce long ago but never really took to him being an unconscious medium...

and where did that reading  lead you to  ? 

19 hours ago, Nungali said:

and where did that reading  lead you to  ? 

Be careful what you ask for, since you might get it, and if you get it then you are responsible for it, also your karma will bite much harder then if you screw it up.